Please cancel interviews if your not going to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*bumping this*, some places are still interviewing and if you aren't gonna come please do inform the program coordinator!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you to whoever has cancelled unwanted interviews! I was able to interview at a program that I really wanted a few weeks ago because of a cancellation.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is anything worse than spending an hour talking to an applicant that has no intention on coming to your program, it would be spending a day interviewing at a program and having to pretend to be interested when you are not. Please realistically assess your funding and time and cancel interviews if you are not going to come. Calling us and canceling after we have arranged a full day of interviews is irritating and it does waste spots. If you give us only 10 days notice, it is very hard to call someone and say “we will interview you next Friday, but you have to drop everything and buy an expensive plane ticket”.

But med schools and residency programs are like cheating girlfriend, you think they love you then when match day comes you find out they are banging someone else, and you get the "sorry no acceptance for you" letter, so in order to protect themselves people will try to maximize their chances by doing as many interviews as they can. Its the systems fault

Its the systems fault
Meh, she's not cheating when you have agreed that you'd see other people. Just don't get over attached when you're in an open relationship. Go out and see other people while you can.

If programs are telling you that you are ranked to match and you do not, they should be publicly shamed. But what programs TYPICALLY say is "we love you and would love for you to become a resident here."

They aren't lying. But many-to-most programs have more applicants they love and think would be good fits than they have spots. So you may or may not end up there based on your preferences, the program's, and (importantly) the preferences of everyone else applying in a match year.

You're not her one and only, it's true.... But if you think the Match is painful, an open applications process would be multitudes worse...

Reactions: 1 users
I’m referring mostly to the late cancelations as being a problem. These are not parties you fail to RSVP for. Last minute cancelations prevent others from getting interviews and mess a lot of resident and attending schedules. Last week I was asked to do a substitute lecture for someone who was sick. I got texting and move a meeting to fit in an applicant in who was scheduled to see me during the lecture. Got to work, check my e-mail and they had canceled 7:00 PM the night before. I don’t mind the rejection at all; I do mind moving my day all around for nothing.

With all due respect, whopper, you were the one who suggested applying a Black Mark of Doom to these applicants.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Well let me clarify then, and I did write this in a previous post.

I'm against someone not showing up without cancelling. If someone cancels fine, if not--yes then the black mark.

Further, think about it. If it is "a black mark of doom" (I'm assuming some sarcasm), why? Cause it's just common sense to cancel or be considered inconsiderate. And I also mentioned this in another post, if the person could demonstrate they had circumstances beyond their control, no mark.

If it weren't a big deal then let people cancel and have the gutts to live up to their actions that shouldn't be a big deal if it truly is not a big deal. Let transparency reign. This isn't information that's so-sensitive such as coming out of the closet. It's open information about fair-practice like an Ebay feedback list.

Personally, if I were a PD, if there were 1 or 2 I don't even think I'd care. If they had several, and I mean several it does suggest a theme.

While a chief, a guy I interviewed missed his first cause he was in a car accident. Thank God he was fine. Did I hold it against the guy? No way. He called and told us what happened. Even if he told us a day or two later, fine.

Last edited:
Just going to bump this. I was at an interview a few days ago and someone no showed.

And I'm salty given that I know plenty of people who needed an invite.

Just going to bump this. I was at an interview a few days ago and someone no showed.

And I'm salty given that I know plenty of people who needed an invite.

Interviews are quieting down. Match rank list hasn’t yet started. You can feel the rising sphincter pressure of antsy medical students eager to know someone wants and loves them. Don’t worry, it will all be over in due time.

If there is anything worse than spending an hour talking to an applicant that has no intention on coming to your program, it would be spending a day interviewing at a program and having to pretend to be interested when you are not. Please realistically assess your funding and time and cancel interviews if you are not going to come. Calling us and canceling after we have arranged a full day of interviews is irritating and it does waste spots. If you give us only 10 days notice, it is very hard to call someone and say “we will interview you next Friday, but you have to drop everything and buy an expensive plane ticket”.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you should no-show or show up when you are not interested either when you've failed to give significant notice. If nothing else, telling a faculty member that they don't have to put things on hold to do an interview is beneficial to the program.