please chance me! really need some advice as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nola_doc_hopeful

Reaction score
Hi!

I am desperate for some advice for what schools to apply to/whether I should reapply this cycle or wait another one. About me:

C/O 2020 Vanderbilt University
cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.15 :( [this is what is hurting me the most I believe, I was a public health major]
MCAT: 509
Volunteering: Intense long-term volunteering for a very well-renown program, 850+ hours in undergrad alone
Leadership/Teaching: TAed for global health course, President of two clubs
Research: Sustained 2.5 years of research undergrad but no publications (project-based research in public health)
Clinical Experience: Shadowed a bit in undergrad but spent this last year (2020-21) scribing in a local clinic
Home state: LA
Not URM but lower income

I applied for the first time this last cycle, 2020-21, and did not receive any interviews. Due to COVID financially I could only apply to about 6 schools (I know), and my MCAT got cancelled twice, so I could not take it until August making my application super late (not complete until Sept/Oct for most schools). I don't know how much to weigh this as my stats are not stellar, but I really feel that if people opened my application I would be a good applicant! What do y'all think? Reapply this cycle when now in a financial place to apply to 20 schools or wait another year and take some STEM classes this year to get my sgpa up (I cannot afford a post-bac). If reapply anybody have any good MD schools I should consider?

If u made it this far THANK YOU <3

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to ?
I applied to LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport (still have not heard anything from either LSU school), Tulane, Tufts, U of Oklahoma and GW. This cycle looking at the following:

Tulane
LSU New Orleans
LSU Shreveport
GW
Georgetown
UVA
Virginia Tech
University of Kentucky (in-state ties to KY)
University of Miami Miller

considering Texas app as well? I know these are all a "reach"- that's why I was hoping to get some advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I am desperate for some advice for what schools to apply to/whether I should reapply this cycle or wait another one. About me:

C/O 2020 Vanderbilt University
cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.15 :( [this is what is hurting me the most I believe, I was a public health major]
MCAT: 509
Volunteering: Intense long-term volunteering for a very well-renown program, 850+ hours in undergrad alone
Leadership/Teaching: TAed for global health course, President of two clubs
Research: Sustained 2.5 years of research undergrad but no publications (project-based research in public health)
Clinical Experience: Shadowed a bit in undergrad but spent this last year (2020-21) scribing in a local clinic
Home state: LA
Not URM but lower income

I applied for the first time this last cycle, 2020-21, and did not receive any interviews. Due to COVID financially I could only apply to about 6 schools (I know), and my MCAT got cancelled twice, so I could not take it until August making my application super late (not complete until Sept/Oct for most schools). I don't know how much to weigh this as my stats are not stellar, but I really feel that if people opened my application I would be a good applicant! What do y'all think? Reapply this cycle when now in a financial place to apply to 20 schools or wait another year and take some STEM classes this year to get my sgpa up (I cannot afford a post-bac). If reapply anybody have any good MD schools I should consider?

If u made it this far THANK YOU <3
A 3.15 science GPA is lethal for MD schools, and circling the drain for DO.

All of your applications were donations Dead stop.

Don't even think about reapplying until you either ace a special master's program and or a DIY post bacc.

And TX MS schools? No, just no. That ddir is closed.

I suggest applying broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Also apply again to your 2 state public schools.