please evaluate this non-trad plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr_nick_riviera

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some basics

• Age 35, married, kids
  • Live in a low COL state, making decent money with a working spouse
  • US Citizen (not born or raised in USA)
  • Foreign bachelors in Chemistry (lousy GPA equivalent maybe a B- equivalent)
  • Subsequent foreign MS/PhD in biological chemistry (excellent grad school grades) and post doc experience, good publication record.
  • 0 credit hours in any US academic institution.
I think I always wanted to go to medical school, and that feeling has never totally left me. I concentrated on pure science for a long time (the low undergrad GPA was a result of laziness and partying - 10+ years and a PhD later I am both older and wiser) but I'm getting to a point where I want to know if I should seriously commit to MD school.

My plan:

Studying hard for the MCAT and seeing what score I can achieve in maybe 6 months time. Given my science background I have to work on the basis that I can get 30+ (or equivalent in new scoring scheme).

I view taking the MCAT firsts as a low risk, low cost option. If I can't get a good score then I will move on with my life....

Assuming success in this, really consider which schools I could reasonably hope to apply to, and take it from there.

I have access to shadowing with MDs, and I believe I could demonstrate volunteering/community service through other activities .

I also believe I could write a compelling personal statement, can interview well and would be able to articulate reasons for a career change.

My questions:
  • Is there any reason not to take the MCAT first and if the score is valid for 2-3 years rely on this for a subsequent application
  • Am I correct in believing I will absolutely have to take some US credits? (I could take these at local CC).
  • Are there any schools (ideally in the NE or Midwest) that might look favourably on a lack of US Bachelors degree
  • Is there anything in my background or education that would kill my application dead?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My questions:
  • Is there any reason not to take the MCAT first and if the score is valid for 2-3 years rely on this for a subsequent application
  • Am I correct in believing I will absolutely have to take some US credits? (I could take these at local CC).
  • Are there any schools (ideally in the NE or Midwest) that might look favourably on a lack of US Bachelors degree
  • Is there anything in my background or education that would kill my application dead?

• Not per se, if you've done your prep and are prepared to apply before the score is invalid (typically 3 years max from test to matriculation).
  • Yeah...and bad news, most school require 90+ hours or a whole degree at a US or Canadian school.
  • Favorably - no. Acceptable - very unlikely. However it costs you nothing but time to comb through some websites and call some admissions offices to check and see if any would be okay with it. With a PhD, some might be willing to entertain an app where you just take the pre-reqs over in the US, but that would be on you to find out. Nothing I've seen leads me to think that you could get in without basically re-doing your undergrad.
  • Not in the brief sketch you've given us.
However, before you even begin to go down this road...
1) Shadow. Make d@mn sure that this is something you can't live without before you drop literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in the pursuit of becoming a doctor.
2) If you are really, really sure, then sit down with your spouse and see if they're along for this ride. Because you'd be dragging them and the kids into the process too and they need to be not just okay with it, but truly supportive, or you'd end up going it alone.

At this point in your life (decent job, kids, etc.), you have to have more motivation that "it always seemed like a nice idea" to make it worth going through this process.

Hopefully @gonnif will chime in here and can give you some more specifics about the degree issue.

Thanks - this is very, very helpful.

regarding points 3, 4 and 5 - it does seem to be an artificial hoop to go back to night school to take Organic chemistry (when in fact I have actually tutored the material in the past) . That having been said - I'm in no position to dictate to admissions departments - so if CC is required I can do that, maybe even local state U.

I am actually somewhat glad my non-US grades are not accepted for GPA application.*if* i pursue this career change I would rather have a clean, fresh, GPA.

I also don't have illusions about the need to study for the MCAT, despite "knowing" the science material. Serious study is needed. Though I do believe I am fortunate that I am not coming at this with a 'soft' science background or a fear of chemistry.

I think my strategy will be to get a MCAT score in my hand - if i score well then I can start to get serious about other aspects of my application including important shadowing work.

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do these at least in parallel if not the opposite way, that is MCAT last. To me as an adcom, if I see an atypical student with copious research and a PhD in bio/chem, take the MCAT and only then do volunteering and shadowing it seems less like a symbol of motivation and commitment but rather a check box. It is as if you took the MCAT on a whim and said "Hmm, I did okay, maybe I should be a doctor"

That is not a point I considered - thank you.

I would do these at least in parallel if not the opposite way, that is MCAT last. To me as an adcom, if I see an atypical student with copious research and a PhD in bio/chem, take the MCAT and only then do volunteering and shadowing it seems less like a symbol of motivation and commitment but rather a check box. It is as if you took the MCAT on a whim and said "Hmm, I did okay, maybe I should be a doctor"

That is not a point I considered - thank you.
I suggest not taking the MCAT until you have a couple semesters logged. I'm about 60 credits in with a plan to get to 80 by application season next year and it has taken me 6+ years. I'm hoping most places won't need that extra 10 to get to 90. Part of the long duration has to do with lack of availability of Bio II and OChem in the evenings - I eventually got to those day classes only because work slowed down and my employer cut my hours, forcing me into part time. If you take the MCAT too soon, it could expire before you are able to get in your 30, 60, or 90 credits (whatever is required). With that said, there are schools such as Jefferson that absolutely require a US degree - you won't be able to apply there.

@SymphonyNo9 recently posted a thread with their experience. You should take a look.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...oreign-bachelor-degree.1228071/#post-18273446

This topic comes up so much that symphony's thread should probably be sticky'ed and could be a place where others contribute. I hope to do so in a year. @wholeheartedly @QofQuimica