Please Help: 3.15 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! First post here, long time reader of the forums, but all my searching just made me want to ask about my own situation.
Like many others who have posted in this section, I had a rough first two years in college and after a break ended my first undergrad degree, a BA-Liberal Studies with a 2.75. I started at a top tier liberal arts school, but finished at a reputable state university through their online program. Since then, I have returned to school and earned a second bachelors, a BS- Microbiology, in person at a big ten school with a GPA of 3.9 (two years very close to 4.0). Final stats are: cGPA is 3.15, sGPA is 3.9. I have not taken my MCAT yet, but practice tests were between 35-37. As for ECs I am a paramedic and worked full time through my first degree and PRN through my second (est. about 2000 patient contacts). I have LORs from my premed advisors, 2 science professors, and my EMS agency's medical director. I have residency in Illinois. What do you think? Is there a way to strengthen my application or will I have to shoot for DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That sGPA has to count somewhere! Combined with a 30+ on the MCAT, you should get some attention from the low-tier MD programs, and possibly your state school, depending upon where you live. You should be OK for most DO programs. So, apply carefully.

Hi all! First post here, long time reader of the forums, but all my searching just made me want to ask about my own situation.
Like many others who have posted in this section, I had a rough first two years in college and after a break ended my first undergrad degree, a BA-Liberal Studies with a 2.75. I started at a top tier liberal arts school, but finished at a reputable state university through their online program. Since then, I have returned to school and earned a second bachelors, a BS- Microbiology, in person at a big ten school with a GPA of 3.9 (two years very close to 4.0). Final stats are: cGPA is 3.15, sGPA is 3.9. I have not taken my MCAT yet, but practice tests were between 35-37. As for ECs I am a paramedic and worked full time through my first degree and PRN through my second (est. about 2000 patient contacts). I have LORs from my premed advisors, 2 science professors, and my EMS agency's medical director. I have residency in Illinois. What do you think? Is there a way to strengthen my application or will I have to shoot for DO?

Since your sGPA is more important anyway, and you showed steady improvement in your grades, especially if you can get an MCAT that high, you're a great MD candidate. Your experience is obviously great. The one thing I would recommend adding to your ECs would be volunteering in some regard. It doesn't have to be medical either. I volunteer at the local humane society.