Please Help! 3.57 GPA 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eh8316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so I'll try to make it as simple as possible.
I got my MCAT score in today (27) and I'm starting to freak out because I expected a higher grade than that. My GPA is 3.57 and I'm a Biology major at Wayne State University. I was wondering what my chances at any MD or DO schools are? I've had two jobs throughout my college career ( lifeguard and bestbuy/geeksquad) so my volunteering hours are quite limited. I've shadowed two doctors and have about 150 hours if clinical volunteering. Also, I read, write, and speak Arabic fluently (if that matters lol).
Any idea where I stand? Shall I retake?
Thanks so much, Samir

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for any DO program, but the MCAT will kill you for MD. Speaking Arabic won't help.

If you're gung-ho for the MD degree, a retake will be nexcessary, and you'll need a minimum of 30 (10/10/10). Your ECs are OK.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so I'll try to make it as simple as possible.
I got my MCAT score in today (27) and I'm starting to freak out because I expected a higher grade than that. My GPA is 3.57 and I'm a Biology major at Wayne State University. I was wondering what my chances at any MD or DO schools are? I've had two jobs throughout my college career ( lifeguard and bestbuy/geeksquad) so my volunteering hours are quite limited. I've shadowed two doctors and have about 150 hours if clinical volunteering. Also, I read, write, and speak Arabic fluently (if that matters lol).
Any idea where I stand? Shall I retake?
Thanks so much, Samir

Are you a Michigan resident? If you are, I think you would have a shot at the new MD schools in Michigan, such as Western and Central. You should apply to Wayne State too. I would apply to DO schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for any DO program, but the MCAT will kill you for MD. Speaking Arabic won't help.

If you're gung-ho for the MD degree, a retake will be nexcessary, and you'll need a minimum of 30 (10/10/10). Your ECs are OK.
Cool, thank you! Should I still apply without the new MCAT score? I'm going to retake in August but my application is ready to go.
Thanks again, Samir

Are you a Michigan resident? If you are, I think you would have a shot at the new MD schools in Michigan, such as Western and Central. You should apply to Wayne State too. I would apply to DO schools as well.
Oh cool I didn't even know Western and Central had MD programs!
I am a Michigan resident.
Thanks, Samir