Please help how bad of shape am I in?Advice as to get from where I am to md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopemd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am not quite sure if I am counted as a non traditional student but I can say there are quite a bit of holes that I will have to explain to adcoms. So I am hoping you guys can help tell me where to go in order to get into
the best program possible.

Undergrad degree from decent private school
-GPA - 3.30(have 1 F in a art class i took)
-science-3.0(Have 1 F in bio 101- also have some Ws in phyc and orgo that year)these two Fs are in the same year

Before private school:
did two year at cc where my gpa was 3.6
did one year abroad(english speaking school) gpa was 3.0

my last year at undergrad I got 3.6 in semesters and was taking 6 classes each semester

heres the bender- I never actually graduated formally I still have to take my calc credit in order to graduate. So i should of graduated in 2009 but since I didnt take my calc class It will say on my transcript I graduated in 2011 when I take it this year. How badly will this reflect on my transcript even though I was running a business that year?

I still need orgo, calc, physics prereq. Should I take them at a local state university or should I do a special program?

Some quick things about what Ive done

-1 year research in cell bio lab (sophomore)
-1/2 year research in marine bio lab -published website(senior year)

president large organization on campus
Resident adviser
Founder of two club on campus
studied abroad in summer nutrition

Work
started business with family member which we ran for two years, still going strong i wanted out
recently started a business solo for income

Past life issues:
went to 5 HS never took a class above algebra or any science classes (when I went to my college I didnt know what log was)
left parents at 15
caretaker fell ill during my F year and died this past year(partly reason I didn't take calc class)

Plan to do the following before med school
organize two runs supporting autism in my community
volunteer in hospital

What do you think I should do to get my chances up to get into the best medical school possible with my background?
Should i do research ?
Do something more grand than organizing the runs?
Should I do a ma or smp?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything seems to be fine except the obvious academic deficiencies. A science 3.0 is extremely low.

The two best things you could do to boost your app:

1)Take additional upper level sci coursework and retake any C's in prereqs. Boost that sciGPA

2)Get some ECs in clinical settings

And of course, kill the MCAT, get excellent LORs, write good essays, apply early & broadly to MD & DO, don't interview like a tool...

I don't think an MA or SMP is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't interview like a tool...

Ok, ok, I know it's an old joke from another thread, but I didn't get it then and I still don't. Could you all treat me as if I were in one of the special ed classes and explain it to me.

No, that's not right, the special ed kids get jokes - treat me like one of the kids in the preppy classes and explain the joke.

In my opinion, "don't interview like a tool" is shorthand for:

- don't be socially awkward (easier said than done for some people, "socially awkward" to me = not good at small talk, nervous, shy, avoids eye contact, does not have a good handshake, not good at reading body language or verbal cues, i.e. when it is your turn to talk, interrupting interviewer, etc. There's nothing wrong with being introspective, I'm sure there are probably a fair share of introverted types drawn to medicine, but you have to be able to communicate effectively).
- don't try too hard to be liked or to impress your interviewer, just be yourself
- don't try to be the "smartest person in the room" or correct the interviewer
- being inconsiderate (example: arriving late without a really really good reason and not calling ahead to explain, and also not thanking your interviewer for their time, among other things)

I think those are the main things.