:( :( please help me, I can't find a job!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a job for a few months now but I haven't gotten anywhere. Not even any phone calls or interviews! I've mostly applied or sent out my resume for jobs in clinical research, but I also applied to pharmacy tech jobs. I'm getting a bit desperate here because I need a paycheck. Tons of people have my resume.

I'm in the Philadelphia area. I applied online to a clinical research position at CHOP, but I haven't heard anything. I've given lots of people my resume. I just don't know what else to do. I'm open to just about any job at this point, and I've considered going to a temp agency, but I'm going to wait another few weeks to see if anything happens. I prefer clinical research to basic science because I really hate working in the lab. CNA-type work doesn't pay enough to pay my rent. Pharm tech would be great if I could only find somebody who's hiring untrained people (I know the retail pharmacies do this, but apparently nobody is hiring in the area).

I'm sorry this is a long post, I just really don't know what to do. Does anybody have any advice, or better yet any leads in Philly? I'd really really really appreciate it. :thumbup:

thanks

edit: I can also work as a legal secretary, which I did (for my mother) in high school. I type 70+ (maybe even 80+) wpm. I know all of the typical computer software. I have plenty of research experience. I'm a nice person :)

Members don't see this ad.

my sister has had a lot of success using an agency.

nishi said:
my sister has had a lot of success using an agency.

A recruiting/job placement agency? I did think of that but I don't know how they work. How do I choose one, and is it expensive? I'm desperate enough at this point to try just about anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the job have to be in Philly? There may be some openings at the health care non-profit that I work at. We're in Times Square and focus on Medicare and prescription drug issues. PM me your resume if you're interested.

first, decide on the top place youd enjoy working. then get your but over there and ask for a job (bring your resume of course). ask around, people will help.

sven said:
Does the job have to be in Philly? There may be some openings at the health care non-profit that I work at. We're in Times Square and focus on Medicare and prescription drug issues. PM me your resume if you're interested.

Yeah I should have mentioned that. My husband is in med school here in Philly so it's got to be here.

Thanks a lot though :thumbup:

tigress said:
A recruiting/job placement agency? I did think of that but I don't know how they work. How do I choose one, and is it expensive? I'm desperate enough at this point to try just about anything.

yes. I'm not completely sure how they work, or how much they cost. My sister has had maybe 5 jobs through them, each paying around 15$ an hour. I can't imagine it being more expensive than its worth. Maybe you can do an internet search for a few and compare prices.

tigress said:
Yeah I should have mentioned that. My husband is in med school here in Philly so it's got to be here.

Thanks a lot though :thumbup:

Have you tried contacting the career services centers of the regional universities? You might have to be a student, but with so many local universities, there has got to be a lab or two with an opening, and maybe one with a biomedical focus. Good luck :thumbup:

tigress said:

In my experience, agencies do not cost anything for the employee, but they do cost for the employer. Employers must pay a set "finders fee" and then a percentage of the first pay check. (But the employee still gets his/her wages...this percentage is on top of that).

Another idea is to research eye and tissue banks in your area. During undergrad and my 1 year off, I worked for an eye bank. From a simple google search of "eye bank philadelphia" I found the Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley.

http://members.aol.com/Robertlyt/LEBDV/

I don't know if they are hiring, but at my eye bank, we would always welcome college students. Job duties included harvesting corneas and eyes for transplant/research.

Tissue banking is also an idea.

I agree with the employment agency. several years ago I applied by myself to more than a few jobs without success. Not even a nibble. But when I had a headhunter send my resume off, some of those same places were very (and I mean VERY) interested in me. For some reason, having a headhunter pimp your resume means more than you showing up in person to hand-deliver it. Go figure.

There are two types of headhunters: those that charge the employer, and those that charge the employee. Make sure you know which one you choose.

I work at CHOP at the moment and will be quitting in mid-June, and they'll be looking to replace me. It's a good lab (Nature paper last year). Do you have any computer skills? (i.e. statistics, perl/R/Java programming)

Check your undergrad career services. I remember getting an email from mine about two job openings at CHOP, but I've since deleted it :(. You're limiting your options if you want to do clinical research only. Perhaps you should broaden your search.

Philadelphia has a huge number of pharmas too. Check the career websites for GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Johnson and Johnson (North Jersey), etc.

Also: pharm tech - i'm not sure how it works in PA, but I know in California, you have to take a pharm tech test and be certified before pharmacies will take you. otherwise, you're "under the table".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everybody :thumbup:

I know I am limiting myself because I don't want to do basic science research, but I really hate the work. I was in grad school and I quit for a few reasons, but partially because I hated spending so much time in the lab (for some reason it wasn't as bad undergrad, but once I was doing it long-term I couldn't stand it). But if I really don't have a choice I suppose I could force myself to like a lab tech position. Or at least put up with it.

lightnk102, I went on the CHOP site and applied for a few jobs through there. What kind of work does your lab do? I have basic computer skills, and very basic Java programming that I've probably forgotten, but no real programming knowledge.

Unfortunately my undergrad career services only has jobs in New York, where the school is.

Thanks again everybody. I may just have to suck it up and apply for other lab jobs. I appreciate everybody's help.

my advice is to look really hard for a job you actually want and then pursue it like crazy. don't just send in your resume - make sure you follow-up expressing your interest. i really think this helps! employers love to hire enthusiastic people :)

awww tigress, if I had a biotech company or was the head of a clinical research lab, I would hire you!!!

crazy_cavalier said:
awww tigress, if I had a biotech company or was the head of a clinical research lab, I would hire you!!!

aww, thanks :love:

tigress said:
I've been looking for a job for a few months now but I haven't gotten anywhere. Not even any phone calls or interviews! I've mostly applied or sent out my resume for jobs in clinical research, but I also applied to pharmacy tech jobs. I'm getting a bit desperate here because I need a paycheck. Tons of people have my resume.

I'm in the Philadelphia area. I applied online to a clinical research position at CHOP, but I haven't heard anything. I've given lots of people my resume. I just don't know what else to do. I'm open to just about any job at this point, and I've considered going to a temp agency, but I'm going to wait another few weeks to see if anything happens. I prefer clinical research to basic science because I really hate working in the lab. CNA-type work doesn't pay enough to pay my rent. Pharm tech would be great if I could only find somebody who's hiring untrained people (I know the retail pharmacies do this, but apparently nobody is hiring in the area).

I'm sorry this is a long post, I just really don't know what to do. Does anybody have any advice, or better yet any leads in Philly? I'd really really really appreciate it. :thumbup:

thanks

edit: I can also work as a legal secretary, which I did (for my mother) in high school. I type 70+ (maybe even 80+) wpm. I know all of the typical computer software. I have plenty of research experience. I'm a nice person :)

If you really want to work, you just have to take whatever.

FutureOrthoDoc said:
If you really want to work, you just have to take whatever.

So you're basically saying that if the only job available is maintenance/custodial work, that she should take that?

tigress said:
aww, thanks :love:

Network like crazy, see people you know and ask them if they know of anything happening down the grapevine, have a consultant look at your resume, they may be able to give you good tips/insight/feedback/connections with companies, check the career center of your undergraduate college, see if friends are working in a company can directly refer you for a position (hand in your resume as a physical copy in the hand of the main HR staff coordinator), etc.

These are all things that I have done. ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING helps, so apply yourself as much as possible and remember that although its not about connections and networks, that it somewhat is...

Universities are most likely to have the jobs you're looking for. Get on a university's mailing list if you can - most of them aren't necessarily seeking students but just look there first. Check online to sign up for listservs and see if your husband can sign up through his school...also wander the halls and see what's posted in the elevators.

It's all about who you actually talk to. Take any chance you can to meet someone. Try job fairs: Philly Career Fair and Life Science Career Fair (Philly) are coming up in June and remember to bring your resume/CV.

I know how hard it is and depressing it can be - don't loose hope! :luck:

tigress said:

thanks

Hey! I will be in philly this coming year at UPenn (special sci post bacc). I will PM you all the research listings that I find out about.

cya!

im in the same boat. :( i've sent my resume to at least 18 places. ive interviewed at 2 places and i didnt get a call back. i went to an agency this week and they don't have any good openings. their services are free. you just have to take a crap load of tests (typing, word, excel, csr telephone etiquette)..it really sucks b/c my younger brother got this job working at Coke as a cust. svc. rep. at $14/hour! he just graduated HS today and has NO experience. :mad: i have a degree and tons of work/volunteer experience and I can't find a thing!! :confused: so i've given up... :idea:

CoffeeCat said:
Universities are most likely to have the jobs you're looking for. Get on a university's mailing list if you can - most of them aren't necessarily seeking students but just look there first. Check online to sign up for listservs and see if your husband can sign up through his school...also wander the halls and see what's posted in the elevators.

It's all about who you actually talk to. Take any chance you can to meet someone. Try job fairs: Philly Career Fair and Life Science Career Fair (Philly) are coming up in June and remember to bring your resume/CV.

My husband and I were in the same position about a month ago. He got a job through my student listserv and what I did was I went to a "job fair" which ended up having about 10 booths offering volunteer opportunities and went up to someone that had a volunteer job that I liked and told him I needed a paying job and presented him with my CV. I had an interview the next week and a job that day!

I know how hard it is and depressing it can be - don't loose hope! :luck:

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely check out those career fairs. I've also gotten my resume to a bunch of doctors I know who are at one of the academic med centers here, or who have contacts here, but nothing has come of that so far.

One problem with applying online to jobs, like the 5 or so clinical research positions I applied to at CHOP, is that they don't always give contact info if you want to be proactive about your application. None of the CHOP ones did, unfortunately. But the more I apply to the better chance that somebody will at least notice my application.

Again, thanks to all. You've been a big help :thumbup: :thumbup:

riceman04 said:
Hey! I will be in philly this coming year at UPenn (special sci post bacc). I will PM you all the research listings that I find out about.

cya!

I don't have much to contribute, but I hate job-hunting!

Have you tried online companies like Monster.com or hotjobs by yahoo? I've used them before and usually don't get that many good results, but maybe it's worth a try?