Please help me with my list....please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a texas resident so I am very naive about oos schools. I am working on my list of schools and need to know what to add and what to take off. I am not adding schools I have a 0% chance at just to "see what happens" because money is limited. Thanks.
Stats: URM(black), nontrad, cgpa-3.2-3.3 (upward grade trend with extra year), sgpa-3.5, MCAT-37+,3 school years of research 2 summers with 2 poster and 1 pub (third author), clinical- 5 years as a pct, all other ecs are good yada yada yada... I only have 1 DO school because of my ties with them and Im working on a DO letter now, Im sure I should add more. Suggestions?
School listed so far:
All Texas schools including Baylor
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
Drexel
Mercer
Georgetown
Georgewashington
Warren Alpert
Creighton
Washington
Dartmouth
Tulane
Casewestern
U of Penn
Northwestern
Tufts
U of Pitt
U of Vermont
Columbia college of physicians and surgeons
St. Louis University
Weill Cornell
Mount Sinai
Emory
Albany
New York SOM
Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
U of Rochester
Albert Einstein
Temple

I got most of my list from a sdn thread based on oos acceptance rate. Im expecting about 85% rejections so if the school is too much of a reach for me please let me know. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Mercer only excepts GA residents. Other than that, it looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Dartmouth is literally in the middle of no where, with no party cities within driving distance, if that's what you like.

And UWashington (unless you meant St. Louis) is most likely gonna have a problem with you.

Other than that, it's good.

Well, Dartmouth is literally in the middle of no where, with no party cities within driving distance, if that's what you like.

And UWashington (unless you meant St. Louis) is most likely gonna have a problem with you.

Other than that, it's good.
Thanks. I really dont mind about the location of Dartmouth too much as long as I get that degree. I guess I can scratch off Washington. Should I add more?

Even with a URM boost and a great MCAT, your GPA is still really, really low for schools like Cornell, U Pitt, Northwestern, etc.

You have a pretty good MCAT and research, and I don't know the US news ranks of the schools you picked, but you could add more in the top 50 if you want. My list just differs in that I chose primarily urban schools.

Wait, where's Duke man??? You got strong research and the MCAT, you should try there b/c they have an awesome research curriculum.

And dude, GPA = Overrated (I think).I'm in the same boat as you since I was an engineer and that hurt me a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough for med school.

You have a pretty good MCAT and research, and I don't know the US news ranks of the schools you picked, but you could add more in the top 50 if you want. My list just differs in that I chose primarily urban schools.

Wait, where's Duke man??? You got strong research and the MCAT, you should try there b/c they have an awesome research curriculum.

And dude, GPA = Overrated (I think).I'm in the same boat as you since I was an engineer and that hurt me a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough for med school.

The 10th percentile GPAs are ~3.5 for Duke, Emory, Northwestern, Case Western, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, and U Pitt. 3.6 at Dartmouth.

The 10th percentile GPAs are ~3.5 for Duke, Emory, Northwestern, Case Western, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, and U Pitt. 3.6 at Dartmouth.
Im crossing all of these schools off my list. What schools would you recommend to replace these schools on my list? Im aiming for around 25-30 schools; shooting for at least 5 interviews.

Im crossing all of these schools off my list. What schools would you recommend to replace these schools on my list? Im aiming for around 25-30 schools; shooting for at least 5 interviews.

I wouldn't cross them ALL off. There's nothing wrong with applying to a couple reach schools. Just be sure to keep your list populated with more realistic choices.

I wouldn't cross them ALL off. There's nothing wrong with applying to a couple reach schools. Just be sure to keep your list populated with more realistic choices.
Congrats on your acceptances! Which oos schools would be realistic? Besides the HBCUs...

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT CROSS THOSE OFF YOUR LIST! 37+ MCAT for URM is unheard of. Literally! There were less than 70 african americans that got a 36-38 from 2008-2010. You have a great chance at top-20 schools. If prestige matters to you, apply to as many as you can. Based on AAMC data, you have 100% chance of getting into any MD medical school. I think you have a great shot at top-tiers. I would cross off any OOS schools you really don't want to go to and replace those with the Harvards and Yales. Plus, you are a non-trad which only helps. Good luck OP

Leave a few for reaches but definitely add more low/mid tier schools.

I'm just throwing these out here. Take them with a grain of salt because I haven't applied yet.

East Virginia
Virginia Tech
Hofstra
Virginia Commonwealth
U Louisville
Wright State (maybe, low out-of-state)
Oakland
U Arizona (read something about up to 50% out-of-state starting this/next cycle)
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College

And throw in any DO schools you want? The following are not out-of-state friendly:

TCOM
MSUCOM
OSUCOM
OUCOM
PNWU
WCUCOM
WUCOMP - Oregon
WVSOM
Rocky Vista

DO NOT CROSS THOSE OFF YOUR LIST! 37+ MCAT for URM is unheard of. Literally! There were less than 70 african americans that got a 36-38 from 2008-2010. You have a great chance at top-20 schools. If prestige matters to you, apply to as many as you can. Based on AAMC data, you have 100% chance of getting into any MD medical school. I think you have a great shot at top-tiers. I would cross off any OOS schools you really don't want to go to and replace those with the Harvards and Yales. Plus, you are a non-trad which only helps. Good luck OP
I blushed a little reading this.;) I thought of those ivy schools once upon a time but the urms applying there are crazy (3.95/35). I really dont want to waste my money:oops:.

I blushed a little reading this.;) I thought of those ivy schools once upon a time but the urms applying there are crazy (3.95/35). I really dont want to waste my money:oops:.

Wow, highly qualified and modest. Just your personality will open a lot of doors for you. I like you; hope you get in your top choice!

First question, is that "37+" a score you have in hand or a predicted score? I'll assume it's a score in hand. If it's only a predicted score, then the answers in the thread are pretty useless, since in your case a 30 and a 40 will mean a world of difference, and a 37+ is not guaranteed regardless of your practice scores.

I'm just not sure I understand your strategy for selecting schools, so def correct me if I'm wrong. With that 37+, your strong research and clinical background, and your disadvantaged background, you will almost certainly get into one of the Texas schools. Maybe not UTSW, but one.

So if trying to maximize your application dollars, you actually want to stack your list with reaches rather than a bunch of oos mid-tiers (unless you have a special interest in that school). The Texas schools + the HBCUs + square state schools looking for diverse classes (ie Iowa, Kansas) will give you good coverage. Then take some moonshots (Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Duke, etc..) with your remaining slots.

As another nontrad URM male w/ the sky-high MCAT/ditch-low GPA combo with not a ton of money to go around, I feel you. But this is the time to go big... huge. And I'm not pulling this from the "This guy heard/ That girl said" SDN "wisdom." I have professional experience with this, but we can talk more about that by PM.

Best of luck.

If you have a 37+ MCAT + research + decent ECs + nontrad + URM + decent PS + good LOR, I think this trumps the low gpa. I am only a premed, so take with a grain of salt. The MCAT is what places everyone on an even level field. You seem humble which indicates a good personality/character. That will take you just as far too because you have the 37+ MCAT. Schools will pay attention to that MCAT. If you think a school may weed you out because of your GPA, contact Adcoms and let them know you have a good MCAT and they may take a closer look. Just my .02. Good luck! I am rooting for you. Don't forget to tell us the good news at the end of the cycle.

If you have a 37+ MCAT + research + decent ECs + nontrad + URM + decent PS + good LOR, I think this trumps the low gpa. I am only a premed, so take with a grain of salt. The MCAT is what places everyone on an even level field. You seem humble which indicates a good personality/character. That will take you just as far too because you have the 37+ MCAT. Schools will pay attention to that MCAT. If you think a school may weed you out because of your GPA, contact Adcoms and let them know you have a good MCAT and they may take a closer look. Just my .02. Good luck! I am rooting for you. Don't forget to tell us the good news at the end of the cycle.
Tell that to my ex's..... Man thanks for real.:thumbup:

No problem! I like to see success stories no matter the ethnicity, race, or creed. You can be an alien for all I care. Just be diligent. LOL!

Wow! I'm in the same boat as you (URM female, 3.2 gpa) BUT I'm doing a post-bacc ( finished undergrad last year) and I will be applying next cycle. I hope you get many many many interviews. I'll be praying for you. Hit me up with a PM regarding the outcome. Forget all the haters, a low gpa can be trumped by an awesome MCAT, ECs' ( especially the research) and an awesome personality. God will bless you, don't you worry. Also, any advice for how to get a high MCAT as well??? Thanks hun...Get em!
: )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Lesson of the day: we have some cool people on sdn.:thumbup:

Btw, how did you study for the MCAT to get such a high score? Are you normally a good test-taker? I suck at test-taking, so if I can get a 30 on this upcoming Saturday, I will be satisfied. You can PM me, if you like.

I looked at your md applicant profile and see you are a single father. I commend you! That has merit alone! You don't see many men raising children alone.

I have learned that no matter what you do, there will always be a "cheerleading section", an "indifferent section", and a "hating section" in your life. As long as you take care of business, don't worry about those people who want to see you fail. You'll surprise them EVERY time! Then they will walk away, mumble to themselves and place their foot in their mouths. LOL!

Btw, how did you study for the MCAT to get such a high score? Are you normally a good test-taker? I suck at test-taking, so if I can get a 30 on this upcoming Saturday, I will be satisfied. You can PM me, if you like.

I looked at your md applicant profile and see you are a single father. I commend you! That has merit alone! You don't see many men raising children alone.

I have learned that no matter what you do, there will always be a "cheerleading section", an "indifferent section", and a "hating section" in your life. As long as you take care of business, don't worry about those people who want to see you fail. You'll surprise them EVERY time! Then they will walk away, mumble to themselves and place their foot in their mouths. LOL!

Amen

Thanks. I am NOT a good test taker tho. It was really understanding the material, knowing the test, studying for "this" test and of course a little luck. I will PM you because we cant have too many 37-39 mcats scores applying during my cycle. I like you guys but I gotta get in.;)

Thanks. I am NOT a good test taker tho. It was really understanding the material, knowing the test, studying for "this" test and of course a little luck. I will PM you because we cant have too many 37-39 mcats scores applying during my cycle. I like you guys but I gotta get in.;)

Lol ok I feel you.

Congrats man, hopefully I do as well as you on the MCAT. I am in undergrad now close to graduation time. Pressure is really starting to kick in. As a fellow URM, good luck.

By the way, do you think it benefited you financially, to take a year or two off? That is what I am considering coming from a rather low income background.

Congrats man, hopefully I do as well as you on the MCAT. I am in undergrad now close to graduation time. Pressure is really starting to kick in. As a fellow URM, good luck.

By the way, do you think it benefited you financially, to take a year or two off? That is what I am considering coming from a rather low income background.

Hi
I'm a URM as well and I took a year off, worked full time and moved out of state. Well worth it! : )

I have also taken a couple of years off after graduation and worked. It does wonders for you. You will be refreshed and once you decided to go for the medicine track, you will be more enthusiatic and have a stronger conviction to succeed. I realized I wanted to become a doctor more than ever during my hiatus.

After having a good 6-7 hour talk with my mentor/PI last night...it got me thinking. Do you guys think it would be wise to apply to dual MD/PhD programs to increase my chances? I know students can get rejected/waitlisted for the dual degree but accepted for the MD only. All the texas schools have dual degrees so would this double my chances? I have a plan for the MD/Phd route as far as a career plan goes. I know I am bearly in the range for MD/DO only let alone dual. What do you think? (Sorry, I didnt want to start a whole new thread just for this question...?

After having a good 6-7 hour talk with my mentor/PI last night...it got me thinking. Do you guys think it would be wise to apply to dual MD/PhD programs to increase my chances? I know students can get rejected/waitlisted for the dual degree but accepted for the MD only. All the texas schools have dual degrees so would this double my chances? I have a plan for the MD/Phd route as far as a career plan goes. I know I am bearly in the range for MD/DO only let alone dual. What do you think? (Sorry, I didnt want to start a whole new thread just for this question...?
I thought 'bout similar options....but here are few things that complicate those

1) many schools' MD v.s. MD/PhD admissions are totally separate
2) some MD/PhD consider you only when you get in MD admission
3) some MD programs only consider you once you are rejected from MD/PhD
4) you will have to be able to explain some nasty questions why you applied to both programs (during interviews...regarding sincerity stuff....)
5) I believe almost all MD/PhD matriculants have some sort of publication as an undergrad
6) many of my TAs who did MD/PhD talked me out of it....due to curriculum issues and 7~9yr commitment

good luck

I thought 'bout similar options....but here are few things that complicate those

1) many schools' MD v.s. MD/PhD admissions are totally separate
2) some MD/PhD consider you only when you get in MD admission
3) some MD programs only consider you once you are rejected from MD/PhD
4) you will have to be able to explain some nasty questions why you applied to both programs (during interviews...regarding sincerity stuff....)
5) I believe almost all MD/PhD matriculants have some sort of publication as an undergrad
6) many of my TAs who did MD/PhD talked me out of it....due to curriculum issues and 7~9yr commitment

good luck
#6 is the one that scares me. Im already old:(

I thought about it as well. I wouldn't do it b/c of the time commitment : /

Add VCU and Rush

About the same cGPA as yours.
2347682.jpg

Sorry for the old bumb but didn't want to make a new thread for this. But I was considering some caribbean schools (the big 4). I know I'm not applying to schools that speak mostly spanish because I don't know any; so PR is out. What do you guys know about the other three and would they be a good choice? My main, reachable, choices are TCOM, HBCU's and these schools. I really want to do surgery because I have work as a surg tech for so long but hell, I'll do IM with a caribbean degree. Beggars can't...you know the rest....