Please I need some orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a while now, I have been trying to get a pharm tech job so as to increase my pharmacy experience, but to no avail. I am finally thinking of doing the pharmacy technician certification. Is this a good idea? If yes, can anybody suggest an online program? Does the training institution really matter or all that is needed is the certification regardless of the institution which provided prior training?

So far I am thinking of Penn foster or “virtual Institute of pharmacy technology,” a family institution I came across over the internet which charges a minimal fee for the completion of the course. Wondering if I should go for the cheap stuff.
I will welcome any advice.
Thanks
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

For a while now, I have been trying to get a pharm tech job so as to increase my pharmacy experience, but to no avail. I am finally thinking of doing the pharmacy technician certification. Is this a good idea? If yes, can anybody suggest an online program? Does the training institution really matter or all that is needed is the certification regardless of the institution which provided prior training?

So far I am thinking of Penn foster or “virtual Institute of pharmacy technology,” a family institution I came across over the internet which charges a minimal fee for the completion of the course. Wondering if I should go for the cheap stuff.
I will welcome any advice.
Thanks
:confused:

How cheap is cheap? You don't have to take a course. You can get a review book if that is cheaper. Mizner's book (Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination) for about $40.
http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Review...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243649413&sr=1-1

I passed the first time I took it with no pharmacy experience so it's definitely doable. Others don't bother with the book but I assume that's because they work in a pharmacy.

Mosby's guide is amazing, and I, too, took it with zero pharmacy experience and passed with flying colors and added those bad-ass CphT letters to the end of my name!

In all seriousness, skip the courses. If you're intelligent enough to get into Pharmacy school (or even aspire to it) then you're capable of picking up a Mosby's, doing their practice exams, then either taking an official practice PTCE via Ptcb.org ($29) or going bareback and taking the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the tech test was too easy. If you know math and conversions I really think you'll do fine. Then sprinkled into that on my test was a little brand/generic, pharmacy law, and reference questions.

Thanks a lot for this website. I will definitely the book.

How cheap is cheap? You don't have to take a course. You can get a review book if that is cheaper. Mizner's book (Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination) for about $40.
http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Review...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243649413&sr=1-1

I passed the first time I took it with no pharmacy experience so it's definitely doable. Others don't bother with the book but I assume that's because they work in a pharmacy.

Thanks alot for this website and the manual suggestion. Infact thanks for your response.

Try scoring a job in a retail pharmacy. Apply online to EVERY CVS located near you! Ur bound to get a call. Even if its a PSA job (pharmacy service associate...aka. cashier), they will PAY for the exam the first time (~$127). If you flunk, then take the course i guess. Totally worth it!

I just wanted to add that I took the test this Saturday and passed. I have no background in pharmacy at all, but took everyone's advice here and used Mosby's book (2005 edition). I would definitely focus on math if that is your weak point, and also know your schedule II-V drugs. I memorized the top 200 prescription drugs and I think that helped with some of the questions where you just knew it or didn't. Good luck and hope you find a pharm tech position! :D

PTCB test fee: ~$120
Breakfast & Gas to site: $6
Gas to the site on the dry run: $2 (I showed up a week early by mistake. :laugh:)
#2 Pencils: $.50
Library Late Fees for Study Book: $3.00
Note Cards: $1

Showing up for the test and realizing over half the people there paid buko bucks to take a prep class, but used the same crap prep book as you... Priceless.

Seriously, though. Between Gen Chem II and my boyfriend (who's been a Pharm Tech for going on 10 years), I did well enough with ZERO pharmacy experience. Study vitamins, though, I didn't and there were like 5 questions I had to guess on. :rolleyes: Also, if you can get someone to help you learn "rules" about the names of drugs (like "statin" and "-cin"), it helps. Maybe the book they're recommending will cover that kind of thing - mine was pretty crap, a mini unnecessary A&P course, although the math was applicable.