Podiatry Career Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordbeerus

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, im currently an undergraduate student who is interested in becoming a future podiatrist. I've been shadowing a podiatrist for the past few weeks and its something i feel i can do for the rest of my life. My Podiatrist really likes what he does and the says that he enjoys the lifestyle that comes with being a podiatrist. my concern is about the career outlook of podiatry. is it a good career to get into? will it be difficult to find work as a podiatrist if i pursue now?

And i apologize if there is an existing thread on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, im currently an undergraduate student who is interested in becoming a future podiatrist. I've been shadowing a podiatrist for the past few weeks and its something i feel i can do for the rest of my life. My Podiatrist really likes what he does and the says that he enjoys the lifestyle that comes with being a podiatrist. my concern is about the career outlook of podiatry. is it a good career to get into? will it be difficult to find work as a podiatrist if i pursue now?

Have you asked this question the podiatrist you shadowed?

I doubt there will be less demand than now. Population is growing and older population will grow even bigger meaning that more people will need care. The numbers of healthcare providers is not increasing as fast as population grows therefore results in relative shortage and poor distribution of healthcare providers.

Currently there are around 46 million of people 65 years or older. By 2060, this number is expected to be 100 million.

Reactions: 4 users
Have you asked this question the podiatrist you shadowed?

I doubt there will be less demand than now. Population is growing and older population will grow even bigger meaning that more people will need care. The numbers of healthcare providers is not increasing as fast as population grows therefore results in relative shortage and poor distribution of healthcare providers.

Currently there are around 46 million of people 65 years or older. By 2060, this number is expected to be 100 million.
Thank you for the reply. I didn't get the chance to ask that question to the podiatrist. i won't be seeing him for a couple of weeks because i have finals going on. but this question was looming on my mind for the past two days.....i thought SDN was a good place to get some info..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would deff do some research on the area you want to settle down in an see what the population vs podiatrist is. There are heavily saturated areas with lots of podiatrists, like New York, and then rural areas who need podiatrists. Mostly the saturation occurs where schools are.

One nice thing is that there are only 9 schools and the overall graduating class is only about 550/year. Hopefully there will be more pods retiring in the near future, but considering that pod work is easier on the body, there might be a lot of practitioners practing until age 65-70, at least in palliative care.

Yeah, I would deff do some research on the area you want to settle down in an see what the population vs podiatrist is. There are heavily saturated areas with lots of podiatrists, like New York, and then rural areas who need podiatrists. Mostly the saturation occurs where schools are.

One nice thing is that there are only 9 schools and the overall graduating class is only about 550/year. Hopefully there will be more pods retiring in the near future, but considering that pod work is easier on the body, there might be a lot of practitioners practing until age 65-70, at least in palliative care.
thank you for the Advice :) will definitely look into that.

Honestly career outlook for physicians in general has been on a downward trend but the career outlook for podiatry I would say is even worse than the average physician. Decreasing reimbursements by insurance companies, saturation of the job markets, and exploitation by older podiatrists. If you have the option of medical school (MD/DO) I would definitely choose that over podiatry. You will be guaranteed a more stable and fruitful check for your labor. Dentistry which also requires the accruing of student loans is a great option which hasnt been hammered down by insurance companies, and are on the same payscale as MD/DOs at VAs. Even Optometrists, despite their job saturation make as much as some podiatrists and they don't have to do a 3 year residency. I am very open to talking more about this topic if anyone is confused or has any questions, feel free to private message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Even Optometrists, despite their job saturation make more than many podiatrists and they don't have to do a 3 year residency.

I dont think this is true. Even looking at BLS.gov, Pod Salaries are average of 125K while OD is around 100K. Also, OD has much more saturation than DPMs.

Reactions: 7 users
I dont think this is true. Even looking at BLS.gov, Pod Salaries are average of 125K while OD is around 100K. Also, OD has much more saturation than DPMs.
i love how this post got 5 likes but the realistic post by the actual podiatrist (a primary and reliable source of information, assuming he isn't lying about his occupation) got none.

i love how this post got 5 likes but the realistic post by the actual podiatrist (a primary and reliable source of information, assuming he isn't lying about his occupation) got none.

What Gypsy said can be backed up through BLS.
What the dude above him said is another story.
SDN is not a place for "primary and reliable source of information", take everything with a grain of salt in these forums.

Reactions: 5 users

My comrade’s statement was that optometrists make more than many podiatrists, not a false statement even though it is a general one, but regardless why would anyone dismiss the rest of his post because of that one line?

The point of his post is not optometrist > podiatrist. His main point that he explicitly states is if one has the opportunity to go the MD/DO route over Podiatry they should take it.

My comrade’s statement was that optometrists make more than many podiatrists, not a false statement even though it is a general one, but regardless why would anyone dismiss the rest of his post because of that one line?

The point of his post is not optometrist > podiatrist. His main point that he explicitly states is if one has the opportunity to go the MD/DO route over Podiatry they should take it.

You can have the stats of an MD/DO school and still go to a Pod school to become a DPM because you want to.
This is clearly evidenced by the various accepted students from the last cycle and this years cycle.

If anyone here who do not have the stats for an MD/DO school and choose Pod school for the heck of it, then they will be miserable.
There are other ways to make $$$ and the title of a "doc" is not everything.

You can have the stats of an MD/DO school and still go to a Pod school to become a DPM because you want to.
This is clearly evidenced by the various accepted students from the last cycle and this years cycle.

If anyone here who do not have the stats for an MD/DO school and choose Pod school for the heck of it, then they will be miserable.
There are other ways to make $$$ and the title of a "doc" is not everything.

Im sorry while i agree with a lot of what you are saying im not finding the point or the connection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys don't worry about stats and the salary, make sure you know what you're getting into and be honest with your reasons for doing it. If you're not honest with yourself and haven't done your research, you'll be making an expensive mistake a few years later as you apply to school in another field. I've seen it happen to too many classmates

Reactions: 2 users
You're 100% right. But I think he's saying that even if you wanted to do pod, MD/DO route is still the better option. Which basically means he's saying don't go pod unless you have no choice. lol
He's just too nice to say it haha.

If you want to do podiatry, clearly the better route is podiatry school. There are plenty of reasons why someone with great test scores would choose podiatry

You mean they will basically start all over? I would think that once they are in deep enough (which for me would be day 1 of pod school lol), it just doesn't make sense to start over and they'll just suck it up and do their jobs like 99% of the workforce out there in all industries. haha
It's normal to hate your job these days. All I see on reddit and facebook and instagram is how much people hate their careers. Atleast pods can hate their jobs while making 6-figs. lol

Yes, at least 10 classmates I know have completely started over, most after 1 year, some after 2-3 years, a few after graduating and being 250k in debt. There are many complicated personal reasons for their departure but it all has to do with not realizing what they signed up for.

Let it out, not the time to be shy.

You're 100% right. But I think he's saying that even if you wanted to do pod, MD/DO route is still the better option. Which basically means he's saying don't go pod unless you have no choice. lol
He's just too nice to say it haha.

I get what he is saying.

What I am saying is: don't come to Podiatry because you couldn't get into a DO/MD school.
If you want to be a DO or an MD then do whatever you have to do and attend those programs, otherwise, you will hate yourself forever.
I'm also saying that if you do not have the stats for an MD or DO school but after research/shadowing/etc you like Podiatry, then, by all means, join us.
But DO NOT get into this field just because you cannot get into an MD or DO field and you still want that Doctor title.
Make Podiatry your plan B for the right reasons and not because you were lazy (not you) in undergrad or didn't study for the MCAT to be competitive for an MD/DO school.

Reactions: 3 users
I get what he is saying.

What I am saying is: don't come to Podiatry because you couldn't get into a DO/MD school.
If you want to be a DO or an MD then do whatever you have to do and attend those programs, otherwise, you will hate yourself forever.
I'm also saying that if you do not have the stats for an MD or DO school but after research/shadowing/etc you like Podiatry, then, by all means, join us.
But DO NOT get into this field just because you cannot get into an MD or DO field and you still want that Doctor title.
Make Podiatry your plan B for the right reasons and not because you were lazy (not you) in undergrad or didn't study for the MCAT to be competitive for an MD/DO school.

I understand and agree with a lot but im not the original poster, you need that bunion loser to reply to that

Yes, at least 10 classmates I know have completely started over, most after 1 year, some after 2-3 years, a few after graduating and being 250k in debt. There are many complicated personal reasons for their departure but it all has to do with not realizing what they signed up for.

Which is why every Prepod should shadow multiple DPMs in different settings to know what they are signing up for.
It is better to spend a year or so to make that application competitive for a DO/MD field than to get into Podiatry and then make that switch later on.

Some people just can’t get into MD/DO school. Podiatry offers the best alternative to becoming a doctor.

Plus, boards are only like 4 hours long instead of 8.

Which is why every Prepod should shadow multiple DPMs in different settings to know what they are signing up for.
It is better to spend a year or so to make that application competitive for a DO/MD field than to get into Podiatry and then make that switch later on.

Geez that's nuts. That's alot of people for just one school.

Would you say for most people that leave, it's their own personal fault for not knowing what the job entails; or is it that podiatry really is that bad in the real world that they have no choice but to leave? Basically, is it their fault, or podiatry's? haha

I believe for most it was a combination of things:

-not realizing what the full scope of podiatry entails
-not being honest with themselves or doing podiatry for the wrong reasons as Dexter has alluded to
-some are late bloomers, young 21 year olds, just finishing college, still figuring out their identity and maturing, and realizing later while in podiatry school that the podiatric surgeon identity does not fit them (so they start over with nursing, PA, dentistry, pharmacy, law, etc)

Were most people who made the switch successful? Id imagine getting into nursing or pharmacy would be easier, but some people apply to Pod as a backup option and don’t have the best of stats.

-not being honest with themselves or doing podiatry for the wrong reasons as Dexter has alluded to
-some are late bloomers, young 21 year olds, just finishing college, still figuring out their identity and maturing, and realizing later while in podiatry school that the podiatric surgeon identity does not fit them (so they start over with nursing, PA, dentistry, pharmacy, law, etc)

Were most people who made the switch successful? Id imagine getting into nursing or pharmacy would be easier, but some people apply to Pod as a backup option and don’t have the best of stats.

Yes they were successful in switching, and I believe the entrance stats were equivalent. This was almost 10 yrs ago

The point of my post was to address the original thread and his/her concerns about the future outlook of podiatry. I share information on this forum specifically with many prepods is because despite shadowing a podiatrist, many students are left blind to the realities of podiatry until it is too late. They are given a pretty colored picture by school admissions officers or podiatrists who want to maintain a certain image. For many the realities of podiatry are kept buried until it is too late, too much debt/too much time loss. I see a great deal of prepods and even podiatry students who are unaware of the realities what is actually going on out there in the real world. Im not here to bicker with prepods or podiatry students, you can take what I share from whats its worth. I have read a lot of misleading information on these forums, which could persuade many qualified applicants for MD/DO schools into podiatry but I think many, if not most will regret that decision down the line. Being that I am ahead of you in the profession, I would take a moment to read what I say before getting offended because there may be some knowledge in it for you and if not others in these forums.

Last edited:
Yes they were successful in switching, and I believe the entrance stats were equivalent. This was almost 10 yrs ago

Yeah, today if someone makes that switch down the line, they would probably have to do an SMP, retake the MCAT and probably sell a kidney to pay those monthly interest rates!

The point of my post was to address the original thread and his/her concerns about the future outlook of podiatry. I share information on this forum specifically with many prepods is because despite shadowing a podiatrist, many students are left blind to the realities of podiatry until it is too late. They are given a pretty colored picture by school admissions officers or podiatrists who want to maintain a certain image. For many the realities of podiatry are kept buried until it is too late, too much debt/too much time loss. I see a great deal of prepods and even podiatry students who are unaware of the realities what is actually going on out there in the real world. Im not here to debate prepods or podiatry students, you can take what I share from whats its worth. I have read a lot of misleading information on these forums, which could persuade many qualified applicants for MD/DO schools into podiatry but I think many, if not most will regret that decision down the line. Being that I am ahead of you in the profession, I would take a moment to read what I say before getting offended because there may be some knowledge in it for you and if not others in these forums.

I read your first post and would disagree about it being more guaranteed to have a fruitful return for your labors being an MD/DO. They have a lot of their own issues as well.

For any prepods reading this, if you want a quick way to see the full scope, shadow for a day a podiatrist who is old and gray and about to retire or age 55+, next find someone in their 40s, and then someone who just graduated residency.

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you for sharing some of your past experiences and knowledge. It is awesome to see a fellow podiatrist sharing some of the things they've seen over the years with the younger generation. But yes there are many reasons for people who make career changes once in enrolled into podiatry school. I just hope they arent mislead into the profession like I have seen many admissions officers obscure the truth and even at times straight up lie to prospective students.

I read your first post and would disagree about it being more guaranteed to have a fruitful return for your labors being an MD/DO. They have a lot of their own issues as well.

For any prepods reading this, if you want a quick way to see the full scope, shadow for a day a podiatrist who is old and gray and about to retire or age 55+, next find someone in their 40s, and then someone who just graduated residency.

Perhaps my statement was a bit general but for the most part it holds true. Yes MD/DOs may have have their issues but theirs may only be a fraction of the many hurdles podiatrists go through when it comes to insurances companies, scope of practice laws, respect with ortho attendings and exploitation by fellow podiatrists. Financially the mean/median is significantly greater with more job opportunity.
I agree the field of podiatry has been a rapidly changing field, and to get a full understanding a prospective student must really put in a lot of effort and do some digging to get an accurate picture.

Take a look at the DO thread, and you will find they are having issues too. There was a school that had a 92% match rate. A lot of DO students are waking up and realizing that it’s either FM or IM at community programs.

All Heathcare professionals have their issues. The only people I don’t see having issues are US MD students, and when they do it’s ussually disillusionment in the field of medicine or multiple board faluires.

Geez that's nuts. That's alot of people for just one school.
This 2018 match, about 18,300 MDs applied for residency, while 20,343 started med school in 2014. That is about 2000 MD people not making it in 4 years to residency. Though there are various reasons why about 2000 MDs didn't get there, it is still about 11%.

Last edited:
This 2018 match, about 18,300 MDs applied for residency, while 20343 starts med school in 2014. That is about 2000 MD people not making it in 4 years to residency. Though there are various reasons why about 2000 MDs didn't get there, it is still about 11%.
The American MD/DO graduates have a very-very high 1st time match rate and most others quickly find a match the following year. Beyond that their are usually other issues. Foreign MD graduates are usually the ones who do not get into residency programs. I would not recommend foreign MD schools to any prospective students who wish to practice in the states except for a select few under specific circumstances. Due to a very high attrition rate and low match rate.
My posts are to help prevent students from being tricked into podiatry.
For example, NYCPM's podiatry administration will praise a classes 100% match rate but neglect to mention the 20% attrition rate throughout the 4 years and more students they held back a year and prevented from sitting for the boards. I'm not on here to devalue statistics but to prevent the manipulation of stats. Stats dont say the whole story. Sometimes a more knowledgable interpretation of the states is need to unveil underlying truths.

Perhaps my statement was a bit general but for the most part it holds true. Yes MD/DOs may have have their issues but theirs may only be a fraction of the many hurdles podiatrists go through when it comes to insurances companies, scope of practice laws, respect with ortho attendings and exploitation by fellow podiatrists. Financially the mean/median is significantly greater with more job opportunity.
I agree the field of podiatry has been a rapidly changing field, and to get a full understanding a prospective student must really put in a lot of effort and do some digging to get an accurate picture.

You're underestimating the issues that other healthcare professionals go through, the US healthcare industry and insurance reimbursement is a nightmare for any healthcare professionals, just look at the prevalence of physician burnout amongst MDs. Respect is earned by your work with patients, everyones got something to say about every medical specialty. Podiatry has a greater salary ceiling than being a PCP because we do procedures in and outside of the office, which was the biggest reason why I didn't want to go to MD school even though I had the stats for it, I didn't want to risk settling for a PCP job when I can guarantee a surgical job.

Reactions: 3 users
As far as I know this info is available to see before you even apply. I did.
I said this is what administration will say to people, obviously stats are available if you dig enough. Next time you quote me please try to use the whole sentence.

It was your job to do.

If you graduated in 4 years and matched, what's your problem?

So because you did your job and because bunion king matched this isn’t something that should be shared with prospective students?
You seem to always have something negative to say with very little actual contribution when replying. Seems like you have a problem.

You're underestimating the issues that other healthcare professionals go through, the US healthcare industry and insurance reimbursement is a nightmare for any healthcare professionals, just look at the prevalence of physician burnout amongst MDs. Respect is earned by your work with patients, everyones got something to say about every medical specialty. Podiatry has a greater salary ceiling than being a PCP because we do procedures in and outside of the office, which was the biggest reason why I didn't want to go to MD school even though I had the stats for it, I didn't want to risk settling for a PCP job when I can guarantee a surgical job.

My first post to the thread discussed this issue the medical field as a whole is facing. However, I think you can most definitely agree that graduating from a podiatry program does not guarantee anyone a surgical job. These are actually difficult positions to find for many. Also PCPs are able to perform many procedures podiatrists can do in the office, they have full scope of practice. In many rural areas you'll be seeing PCPs who do PNAs (on the hands as well as the foot) and removal dermatological lesions across the body, not just lower extremity. They are fully licensed physicians with unlimited scope. They are only limited by what they choose to do and their own personal limitations.

It was your job to do.

If you graduated in 4 years and matched, what's your problem?

A problem for sharing information about the profession? Yes I graduated in 4 years and matched to a good program by podiatric surgical standards but that does not mean the profession is all rainbows and sunshine. I am here to share knowledge with less knowledgable prepods/podstudents.

A problem for sharing information about the profession? Yes I graduated in 4 years and matched to a good program by podiatric surgical standards but that does not mean the profession is all rainbows and sunshine. I am here to share knowledge with less knowledgable prepods/podstudents.

And to add on to this, I personally do not think answering someones plea for help with ”look it up yourself” (for example) is a very appropriate or understanding answer.

100% wrong.

In how many rural areas have you been to observe that?

Yes sir, you are 100% wrong. Let me know when you realize.

So youre quoting me to ask me how many rural areas I have been to? Not to ask me a legitimate question on this subject? And for your information I have been to quite a few.

My first post to the thread discussed this issue the medical field as a whole is facing. However, I think you can most definitely agree that graduating from a podiatry program does not guarantee anyone a surgical job. These are actually difficult positions to find for many. Also PCPs are able to perform many procedures podiatrists can do in the office, they have full scope of practice. In many rural areas you'll be seeing PCPs who do PNAs (on the hands as well as the foot) and removal dermatological lesions across the body, not just lower extremity. They are fully licensed physicians with unlimited scope. They are only limited by what they choose to do and their own personal limitations.

True, PCPs do office procedures from time to time but their focus is medical management of acute and chronic diseases. But I don't see why you would care about scope as a podiatrist, by doing podiatry school you chose to limit your expertise and focus to problems below the knee. In rural areas people tend to push their practice to the edge of their scope so if you're looking for that you should look into rural practices. I guess if you are trying to warn people about nonsurgical jobs coming out of a 3 year residency, that's really up to the individual to build their practice because everyone comes out trained to do at least forefoot well, and can apply for surgical priviledges even if you join an old nonsurgical practice. If you don't want to get taken advantage of, pay a good lawyer to look at your contract before you sign.

Yes sir, you are 100% wrong. Let me know when you realize.

So youre quoting me to ask me how many rural areas i have been to? Not to ask me a real question on this subject?
I just don't think you can say many if you haven't been at many rural areas to make that generalization.

And about PCP scope of practice, you said it that PCPs are ONLY limited by what they choose to do.

Do you even hear yourself?

True, PCPs do office procedures from time to time but their focus is medical management of acute and chronic diseases. But I don't see why you would care about scope as a podiatrist, by doing podiatry school you chose to limit your expertise and focus to problems below the knee. In rural areas people tend to push their practice to the edge of their scope so if you're looking for that you should look into rural practices. I guess if you are trying to warn people about nonsurgical jobs coming out of a 3 year residency, that's really up to the individual to build their practice because everyone comes out trained to do at least forefoot well, and can apply for surgical priviledges even if you join an old nonsurgical practice. If you don't want to get taken advantage of, pay a good lawyer to look at your contract before you sign.

Not to speak for anyone but inwould think one of the big issues he means to talk about Podiatry and its scope is not only its limited nature but also its variable nature state to state and how this can also be used dishonestly to students. I personally have had a friend mention they were told they would be able to perform surgery on the hand, something that is in fact only allowed in certain states.

Not to speak for anyone but inwould think one of the big issues he means to talk about Podiatry and its scope is not only its limited nature but also its variable nature state to state and how this can also be used dishonestly to students. I personally have had a friend mention they were told they would be able to perform surgery on the hand, something that is in fact only allowed in certain states.

It's true, last time I remember Alaska let's you operate on hands, whereas Connecticut limits you to below the ankle and there are small variations between state to state. However for the most part we are busy enough with just pathology below the ankle, and if you need to operate on the ankle to be happy, move to a different state.

It's true, last time I remember Alaska let's you operate on hands, whereas Connecticut limits you to below the ankle and there are small variations between state to state. However for the most part we are busy enough with just pathology below the ankle, and if you need to operate on the ankle to be happy, move to a different state.

I agree with you especially in my position as a graduate, i have no illusions with what our scope is, i just agree that this is something that should be better explained to potential students before making their decision and for many im sure they know but there is still manipulation that exists by schools and recruiters and so bringing it up in this environment can do more good than bad.

Yupp, the great thing about SDN is that we have the opportunity to inform and education the future generation into making the right informative decisions for themselves. A lot of misinformation or twisted facts are spread to more naive candidates.

While this is technically true, to my knowlage the PCP has to be certified in a specific thing they wish to do outside of primary care. My understanding is that this is done because of insurance.

Technically a cardiologist can perform a bunion correction, but it is unlikely insurance is going to cover it. A PCP could do brain surgery but insurance won’t cover it, etc.

Also PCPs are able to perform many procedures podiatrists can do in the office, they have full scope of practice. In many rural areas you'll be seeing PCPs who do PNAs (on the hands as well as the foot) and removal dermatological lesions across the body, not just lower extremity. They are fully licensed physicians with unlimited scope. They are only limited by what they choose to do and their own personal limitations.

I agree with you especially in my position as a graduate, i have no illusions with what our scope is, i just agree that this is something that should be better explained to potential students before making their decision and for many im sure they know but there is still manipulation that exists by schools and recruiters and so bringing it up in this environment can do more good than bad.

Yupp, the great thing about SDN is that we have the opportunity to inform and education the future generation into making the right informative decisions for themselves. A lot of misinformation or twisted facts are spread to more naive candidates.

Don't worry, today's Prepods are more knowledgeable about the profession than you were 4 years ago.
People are choosing this field more today because they want to be a DPM. Period.

And I know about the attrition rate at NYCPM, they are not hiding anything from prepods, it is all on their website, in addition, you can speak to current students who are not part of the Admins.
Also, the school gives you second chances if you fail a course (just like the other 8 Pod schools), and if someone fails the second chance and gets booted, well then, they don't belong in a Pod program.

Don't worry, today's Prepods are more knowledgeable about the profession than you were 4 years ago.
People are choosing this field more today because they want to be a DPM. Period.

And I know about the attrition rate at NYCPM, they are not hiding anything from prepods, it is all on their website, in addition, you can speak to current students who are not part of the Admins.
Also, the school gives you second chances if you fail a course (just like the other 8 Pod schools), and if someone fails the second chance and gets booted, well then, they don't belong in a Pod program.

Lets hope you have as much knowledge as you have ego, i hope for your sake that your 4 years are humbling, a person like you can definitely benefit from it.