Podiatry Friendly States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDrJJohnson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up guys! This is my first post so I intend to make it useful. I have attached spreadsheet of the scope of practice of podiatrists in the US, district of Columbia, and PR. Its essentially the same data that you'd get from ACFAS, however, I have it so that you can filter, sort, and compare them much more efficiently. I hope this helps those who were wondering.

Enjoy :)
-SDrJJohnson

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• POD FRIENDLY STATES.xlsx
    12.7 KB · Views: 219
Thank you for the comprehensive excel sheet.
I made a slight modification.
I assigned green with value of one, yellow with two, and red with three.
I then ordered the states based on the sum.

Attachments

• podiatry friendly new list.xlsx
    11.7 KB · Views: 179
I know you all mean well, but having pulled the scopes of practice for all the states in the past I can tell you that no one should be interested in your interpretation of what a state's scope of practice is. Sorry. The words matter. You've listed "leg" for a number of states. I assume you mean some variation of the muscles/tendons of the leg that insert into the foot. However, there's actually a state out there that literally just says podiatry's scope is the foot and leg - that could be interpreted quite a bit more generously than tendons that cross the ankle. Additionally, New York now has the ankle so your document is wrong there, but even if you had said "yes" it still wouldn't be that informative because New York very specifically details how ankle privileges are allowed, and also specifically disallows podiatrists from performing certain ankle procedures. You're excited and gung-ho. Don't lose that. But go have some fun and don't worry about this crap yet. There's been at least 2-3 favorable changes in scope for various states since I started school. Hopefully they will continue to occur. And yes, I did spend a bunch of time putting together an an excel sheet to list these. I should have read a book instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you all mean well, but having pulled the scopes of practice for all the states in the past I can tell you that no one should be interested in your interpretation of what a state's scope of practice is. Sorry. The words matter. You've listed "leg" for a number of states. I assume you mean some variation of the muscles/tendons of the leg that insert into the foot. However, there's actually a state out there that literally just says podiatry's scope is the foot and leg - that could be interpreted quite a bit more generously than tendons that cross the ankle. Additionally, New York now has the ankle so your document is wrong there, but even if you had said "yes" it still wouldn't be that informative because New York very specifically details how ankle privileges are allowed, and also specifically disallows podiatrists from performing certain ankle procedures. You're excited and gung-ho. Don't lose that. But go have some fun and don't worry about this crap yet. There's been at least 2-3 favorable changes in scope for various states since I started school. Hopefully they will continue to occur. And yes, I did spend a bunch of time putting together an an excel sheet to list these. I should have read a book instead.

heybrother, thank you for your concern. I did not intend for the spreadsheet to a decision maker in any way. I simply wanted for it to be a basic visual supplement for those who were wondering what the general scope of practice is for any given state. I would hope someone would do a much more in-depth search of state policies before deciding on a state to practice in so that they'd know the specifics (like your NY example). Thank you again for you concern :)

-SDrJJohnson

Podiatrists can work on the hand?

There are a few states podiatrists can "work" on the hands. However, from the few podiatrists I spoke to that include hand work in their practice, they told me that the most they do with hands is removing ingrown nails. I have yet to meet a podiatrist that does invasive hand surgeries such as a carpal tunnel release, carpal osteotomy, etc. But in all truth, don't become a podiatrist if your goal is to work with the hands, or rather any extremity, other than the foot and ankle.
I hope this clarifies.
-SDrJJohnson