Podiatry school or Caribbean MD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maryzzzy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO/MD residency programs merge starting 2020. With this in mind, what is better option to do caribbean med school or Podiatry in US ?
Will it be harder now for IMGs to find residency in US?

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is a bit difficult to answer, but I will try my best. It depends on what you want to become: an MD, or a DPM? I think it is acceptable to consider Caribbean schools after applying to mainland schools twice, with a gap year in between to remediate any known shortcomings. You may also want to come to terms with yourself that you still want to become an MD and this is the last, but riskiest chance to get there. I also think it is acceptable to consider DPM as a healthy alternative to MD, but never as a replacement; you will not be satisfied and it may affect your performance in school.

To answer your second question, it may be harder for IMGs to find residency in the US after the merge. New MD and DO schools are being developed on the mainland and those students may take residency spots that could have been attained by IMGs if these new schools were not built.

My best advice would be to shadow more DPMs and get their opinions if you have not already. They really are invaluable and will definitely get you to your desired answer. If you still want to go the MD/DO route, consider retaking your MCAT. Many people retake their MCATs and acquire a seat in a future cycle, so you should not feel ashamed for not getting a favorable score the first time around; I would applaud someone who performs the former. I hope I was able to help!

Really all depends on how much you're willing to gamble on your future. Go big or go home with caribbean. Gain you'll probs be a primary care doctor MD. Loss you don't make it pass 2nd year and are stuck with 2yrs worth of debt or you don't match and you have 4yrs of debt. Attrition is pretty high low odds of making it to 2nd year and if you do like 50% odds you'll match.

Or go safe bet with podiatry. Win you're a doctor,physician,surgeon, whatever and can do doctoring things. Loss you're a podiatrist and that may not satisfy you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends.. do you want to work with foot and ankle? Because succeeding at a Carib school puts you in contention for internal med, family med, psychiatry, etc.. You can do a lot more if you make it out of a carribean school with an MD degree. If you want to work with foot and ankle as a career, DPM is the way to go.

Your question is a bit difficult to answer, but I will try my best. It depends on what you want to become: an MD, or a DPM? I think it is acceptable to consider Caribbean schools after applying to mainland schools twice, with a gap year in between to remediate any known shortcomings. You may also want to come to terms with yourself that you still want to become an MD and this is the last, but riskiest chance to get there. I also think it is acceptable to consider DPM as a healthy alternative to MD, but never as a replacement; you will not be satisfied and it may affect your performance in school.

To answer your second question, it may be harder for IMGs to find residency in the US after the merge. New MD and DO schools are being developed on the mainland and those students may take residency spots that could have been attained by IMGs if these new schools were not built.

My best advice would be to shadow more DPMs and get their opinions if you have not already. They really are invaluable and will definitely get you to your desired answer. If you still want to go the MD/DO route, consider retaking your MCAT. Many people retake their MCATs and acquire a seat in a future cycle, so you should not feel ashamed for not getting a favorable score the first time around; I would applaud someone who performs the former. I hope I was able to help!

Depends.. do you want to work with foot and ankle? Because succeeding at a Carib school puts you in contention for internal med, family med, psychiatry, etc.. You can do a lot more if you make it out of a carribean school with an MD degree. If you want to work with foot and ankle as a career, DPM is the way to go.

I personally have relatives that can not find residency spots in USA after Carib med schools.
Also one of my close friends can’t pass step 2 (she went to st.George).
She failed twice in a row (so now has a limited chance for residency)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I personally have relatives that can not find residency spots in USA after Carib med schools.
Also one of my close friends can’t pass step 2 (she went to st.George).
She failed twice in a row (so now has a limited chance for residency)

And yet you're still considering going the carrib route?

If the title means that much then take an mcat class do better there or do an smp and try to get in md/do schools that way.
Whatever you do stay in the US. You will be risking it all attending one of those off-shore schools, even St.George's.

I rather do nursing here in the US than try MD at a carrib school. Also, don't do Podiatry just because you cannot get into an MD/DO school..you need to have interested or like something about the profession otherwise you would just waste money and time for 4 years and another 3 years for residency.

Last edited:
MD>DPM/DO>Other health care careers>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean

Reactions: 2 users
MD>DPM/DO>Other health care careers>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean

I don't agree with FutureDPM123 often but this one I do.

@Maryzzzy there are plenty of health professions that will provide what you are looking for in terms of career fulfillment.
Please reconsider Carribean.

And if your parents are the ones pressuring you, please don't let them. They will not be waking up and doing your job every day. You will.
They are not the ones taking loans out. You are.
They are not the ones studying for boards. You are.
They are not the ones trying to secure a residency. You are.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
DO/MD residency programs merge starting 2020. With this in mind, what is better option to do caribbean med school or Podiatry in US ?
Will it be harder now for IMGs to find residency in US?

I have to be honest with you. Podiatry is a completely different profession than MD and DO. Yes, we are physicians but we do not focus on every aspect of medicine. Only the ankle and foot. That's it. If you are comfortable with that and enjoy the profession, then go right ahead. However, if you are using podiatry as a backup, DON'T DO IT! Podiatry school is a backup for a lot of upcoming students when they don't get any acceptances in MD/DO schools and that is sad to me.

We are a specialized profession just like optometry, dentistry, physical therapy, etc. I'm pretty sure you know this by know.

In conclusion, don't base your decision because of a backup.

This would actually be a better post in the MD forums. The reason being that most people here already picked Pod over other less desirable options. You would get more of the pro Caribbean thinking at the PreMD side of things.

I’m surprised so many people take the Caribbean risk when Pod is so easy to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to be honest with you. Podiatry is a completely different profession than MD and DO. Yes, we are physicians but we do not focus on every aspect of medicine. Only the ankle and foot. That's it. If you are comfortable with that and enjoy the profession, then go right ahead. However, if you are using podiatry as a backup, DON'T DO IT! Podiatry school is a backup for a lot of upcoming students when they don't get any acceptances in MD/DO schools and that is sad to me.

We are a specialized profession just like optometry, dentistry, physical therapy, etc. I'm pretty sure you know this by know.

In conclusion, don't base your decision because of a backup.
A lot of MD/Do’s just focus on one part of the body as well. I don’t think Optho or ortho are medically managing patients. I think you also need to look at debt. Carribean schools will put you 400k plus in debt. If you go in and kill podiatry school you can get scholarship money and get out and make 200 k plus.

Still, the MD degree is much more marketable than a DPM, even if you go into something completely different from medicine, MD will help much more.

A lot of MD/Do’s just focus on one part of the body as well. I don’t think Optho or ortho are medically managing patients. I think you also need to look at debt. Carribean schools will put you 400k plus in debt. If you go in and kill podiatry school you can get scholarship money and get out and make 200 k plus.

Still, the MD degree is much more marketable than a DPM, even if you go into something completely different from medicine, MD will help much more.
Going to Carib you have less than 40% chance of getting MD license. In addition, it might take significantly longer and more expensive to get there. Plus I would guess that 95-99% of US IMGs end up in worst IM/FM spots in undesirable locations.

Going to Carib you have less than 40% chance of getting MD license. In addition, it might take significantly longer and more expensive to get there. Plus I would guess that 95-99% of US IMGs end up in worst IM/FM spots in undesirable locations.
This is 100 percent correct. I personally would not want to work in primary care. That is why I like podiatry you get a mix of surgery and clinic. The majority of SDN always acts like an MD makes you Gods gift to humanity. Sure with a DPM you won’t be on Greys Anatomy but I think podiatry is a great field.

Sure but who is willingly going into 400k debt and dedicating seven plus years of their life to not work in medicine.

There are people who got into med school, find out it’s not for them, but want to finish out. They can be researchers, reps, teachers, etc. the world is yours as an MD, not so much DDS, DPM, OD, etc.

Not to say there any alternative pathways for DPMs. You could always teach I suppose.

Sure but who is willingly going into 400k debt and dedicating seven plus years of their life to not work in medicine.

There are people who got into med school, find out it’s not for them, but want to finish out. They can be researchers, reps, teachers, etc. the world is yours as an MD, not so much DDS, DPM, OD, etc.

Not to say there any alternative pathways for DPMs. You could always teach I suppose.

Any medical degree without a residency or a board certification is useless. It's best to make a valid decision before enrolling into a specific program than realizing this isn't the one a year or so later.

As far as this debate about going to Podiatry vs the Carribean is just laughable. I personally know 3 people who attended top 4 schools on those islands, one matched this year after their 3rd attempt at the match; one is doing nursing school after not matching for 2x and the other one is still hoping something magically will happen.

Save your money and time and do ANYTHING in the US.

And I think this thread has run its course since OP left a while ago lol

Last edited:
Join the dark side, go Pod.

:D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am a fellow pre-med so take this with a barrel of sugar, but has the OP considered some of the newer U.S. medical schools? I read from around the vineyard that many of the more successful pre-med students may not want to take a chance at a newer school. That leaves a tiny amount of wiggle room for those of us who are circling the drain in terms of admissions statistics. For me, that will have to be after doing a special masters program (SMP).

I trust that eventually the powers that be, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education on one hand and the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation on the other, are going to put a stop to the accrediting of new U.S. medical schools so that physician pay doesn't get sunk. When that occurs, those of us on the lower end of the pre-med spectrum, if you will, will be out of luck. While I respect that many excellent physicians graduate from the Caribbean, knowing my own weaknesses I am not willing to gamble that I will be a better student than others who were unsuccessful in gaining a U.S. residency.

Last edited:

Read this and hope it helps. I've considered the caribbean and quickly denied that notion after reading this. You go from 1.1k students to 450 by the end of med school. That means there is a possibility of going all the fourth year, saddled with over $200k in debt (in tuition alone) and come out with nothing. That's a reality that could happen. The risk is immense BUT if you feel like you're able to study harder than every other medical school student, that was smart as you, to make it this far, then go for it.

As far as DPM goes, be ready for wound care. Especially for a patient population that COULD manage it by controlling their diabetes with meds and diet, but actively dont. That means all this wound care, for the most part, is self caused. If you dont like the idea of that or dont like the idea of debriding/managing wounds, this field is not for you.

If you dont mind, not being in control of care, RN or PA route isn't too bad. Your quality of work/life ratio would be significantly better.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

But that attrition rate will never affect me. Everyone has told me im smart, and if I believe hard enough in myself, I can make all my dreams come true.

Read this and hope it helps. I've considered the caribbean and quickly denied that notion after reading this. You go from 1.1k students to 450 by the end of med school. That means there is a possibility of going all the fourth year, saddled with over $200k in debt (in tuition alone) and come out with nothing. That's a reality that could happen. The risk is immense BUT if you feel like you're able to study harder than every other medical school student, that was smart as you, to make it this far, then go for it.

As far as DPM goes, be ready for wound care. Especially for a patient population that COULD manage it by controlling their diabetes with meds and diet, but actively dont. That means all this wound care, for the most part, is self caused. If you dont like the idea of that or dont like the idea of debriding/managing wounds, this field is not for you.

If you dont mind, not being in control of care, RN or PA route isn't too bad. Your quality of work/life ratio would be significantly better.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I am a fellow pre-med so take this with a barrel of sugar, but has the OP considered some of the newer U.S. medical schools? I read from around the vineyard that many of the more successful pre-med students may not want to take a chance at a newer school. That leaves a tiny amount of wiggle room for those of us who are circling the drain in terms of admissions statistics. For me, that will have to be after doing a special masters program (SMP).

I trust that eventually the powers that be, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education on one hand and the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation on the other, are going to put a stop to the accrediting of new U.S. medical schools so that physician pay doesn't get sunk. When that occurs, those of us on the lower end of the pre-med spectrum, if you will, will be out of luck. While I respect that many excellent physicians graduate from the Caribbean, knowing my own weaknesses I am not willing to gamble that I will be a better student than others who were unsuccessful in gaining a U.S. residency.
New US med schools will be fine - the sky is not falling.
Carrib MD grads - thier sky indeed may be.

Im surprised you put Optometry under Pharm and DPM. 4 years of school for a 120K salary with doctoral autonomy with no threat of NP/PA encroachment seems pretty good.

MD > DO > DPM >>> Pharm > Optometry > PT >>>>>>> Carrib MD

Just my personal thoughts.

Im surprised you put Optometry under Pharm and DPM. 4 years of school for a 120K salary with doctoral autonomy with no threat of NP/PA encroachment seems pretty good.
Honestly I wouldn't go into this field for any other than the top 3
Maybe throw Dental to make it top 4

My person opinion is MD>DO>>DPM=DDS>>>DPT>OD>>>Pharm>>Caribbean

Its based on what you can do clinically and career outlook. If I were to do based on income potential I'd put MD>DO>DDS>DPM>Pharm=OD>DPT.
Optometry is no doubt an awesome field so no disrespect to them. But even though they have no NP/PA threat they have to battle ophthalmology and technological advancements. The future is a drone delivering you your meds verified by an overworked and underpaid pharmacist and taking an eye test on your smart phone for the majority with mild vision issues and that same drone delivering the glasses you picked off the amazon catalog.

If you're a Caribbean MD, maybe you can consider practicing medicine as a specialty in Dubai. Salary is slightly 100K-150K USD, and with no taxes of any kind, that is similar to the Pediatrician who did his residency at Brigham Women's Hospital

I'd prob say DDS >> DPM, just bc it's got less of the "dirty work" associated with it