Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ki-100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 495/503 gpa 3.46 sgpa 3.64, 2 year hospital volunteer, 30hrs doctor shadow, 1 year research (no pub) and did a powerpoint presentation about my research. I have 4 recommendation letters but none are podiatrist. Can I still apply now or wait until next year. All the letters were used for med school, so should I ask the those who wrote the letter to change it for podiatry or just submit it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT 495/503 gpa 3.46 sgpa 3.64, 2 year hospital volunteer, 30hrs doctor shadow, 1 year research (no pub) and did a powerpoint presentation about my research. I have 4 recommendation letters but none are podiatrist. Can I still apply now or wait until next year. All the letters were used for med school, so should I ask the those who wrote the letter to change it for podiatry or just submit it. Thank you.

You can apply now to be part of the Class of 2024, the deadline is June 30th.
DPM LOR requirement depends on the program you're applying to.
Your stats are fine for Pod programs...as they are for DO schools.
Shadowing will help you to choose.

You can apply now to be part of the Class of 2024, the deadline is June 30th.
DPM LOR requirement depends on the program you're applying to.
Your stats are fine for Pod programs...as they are for DO schools.
Shadowing will help you to choose.
ok thanks. So i can submit to some schools right now and it won't consider late right?

Members don't see this ad :)

What r u doing over here??!! Go back to Pre-Do forum!!

Just in case you know.
Your career that will span decades should be given more thought. Have you even shadowed a pod Dr.? How can you know you want to apply and spend your life doing podiatry?

Reactions: 1 users
ok thanks. So i can submit to some schools right now and it won't consider late right?

No, it's early in the cycle. A few of us applied a month before the deadline and got in...all depends on the stats.
I advise applying early because the scholarship funds are limited so the earlier the better.

If you have never shadowed a DPM before and are just applying to this field as a backup...then, I suggest you first shadow at least 1 DPM and see how things are for this field (probably someone at a hospital).
No point spending money if you don't like the work.

Reactions: 1 user
Podiatry is a poor poor backup plan for pre-med.

It is a "poor poor" backup plan for anyone applying without having any exposure to the field or going based solely on SDN/google search.

Talking to people in the real world like current students and shadowing multiple Pods is step 1.

Reactions: 2 users
How do you know?
How many pre-med planning to attend DO/MD schools actually want to specialize in F&A? Leave podiatry for the pre-pods who actually have a passion for F&A pathology.

How many pre-med planning to attend DO/MD schools actually want to specialize in F&A? Leave podiatry for the pre-pods who actually have a passion for F&A pathology.
Well you can argue the same for those who wanted to specialize in derm, ortho, plastics etc. but couldn't when going into DO/MD.

Well you can argue the same for those who wanted to specialize in derm, ortho, plastics etc. but couldn't when going into DO/MD.

DO/MD lads have the option to do rotations in those fields, plus they went through all other rotations so their level of awareness is way higher than those of premeds, thus when they pick a backup residency, they actually have actual hands-on experience in that backup field and know what they are getting into. The majority of "premeds", I would assume, know little to nothing about podiatry in general and what the field entails.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO/MD lads have the option to do rotations in those fields, plus they went through all other rotations so their level of awareness is way higher than those of premeds, thus when they pick a backup residency, they actually have actual hands-on experience in that backup field and know what they are getting into. The majority of "premeds", I would assume, know little to nothing about podiatry in general and what the field entails.

Your post has some credibility, but it lacks the fact that podiatry entails a lot of medicine and surgery, knowledge of patient managements, systemic diseases and their relation to lower extremities. We do the same rotations with you. We learn the same medicine and surgery as you do, we just deal with foot and ankle. At the end of the day, MD / DO people will see lots of routine and specific things in their practice even for IM/FM/EM people. We just pick it right away like those such as optometry etc. So it is a great option for those who can appreciate podiatry and the medicine that is involved in caring for foot and ankle patients.

Your post has some credibility, but it lacks the fact that podiatry entails a lot of medicine and surgery, knowledge of patient managements, systemic diseases and their relation to lower extremities. We do the same rotations with you. We learn the same medicine and surgery as you do, we just deal with foot and ankle. At the end of the day, MD / DO people will see lots of routine and specific things in their practice even for IM/FM/EM people. We just pick it right away like those such as optometry etc. So it is a great option for those who can appreciate podiatry and the medicine that is involved in caring for foot and ankle patients.
You missed my point entirely

You missed my point entirely

I get that you're trying to say that MD / DO has options and can change their mind etc and pre-med don't know what they want. But what I'm trying to say is medicine is medicine and if someone can have appreciation for foot and ankle, it is a good option if they want to become a doctor, even though they're locked in foot and ankle.

I get that you're trying to say that MD / DO has options and can change their mind etc and pre-med don't know what they want. But what I'm trying to say is medicine is medicine and if someone can have appreciation for foot and ankle, it is a good option if they want to become a doctor, even though they're locked in foot and ankle.
And that is what I tried to point out several posts ago ;)

Why do people even bother responding to premeds like this guy? It's just bait, I'm surprised mods don't delete posts like that that add absolutely nothing to the OP.

Why do people even bother responding to premeds like this guy? It's just bait, I'm surprised mods don't delete posts like that that add absolutely nothing to the OP.
I sorry this post may sound like a bait. Yet, I am genuinely want to know the prospective of podiatry since every year only 40~50% of premed that apply get into a med school. If I still want to pursue medicine I think knowing the podiatry school option is better than go to Caribbean right?

I sorry this post may sound like a bait. Yet, I am genuinely want to know the prospective of podiatry since every year only 40~50% of premed that apply get into a med school. If I still want to pursue medicine I think knowing the podiatry school option is better than go to Caribbean right?
He meant my posts, not yours :)

I'm not talking about you I'm talking about Whysoez starting a random argument. Your questions are all legitimate and have basically been answered.

I'm not talking about you I'm talking about Whysoez starting a random argument. Your questions are all legitimate and have basically been answered.
Oh sorry I misunderstood lol.

You are the one who is trying to start an argument. What is wrong with saying that a Pre-med who knows little about podiatry and wants to pick Podiatry as a backup is a poor plan? Are you just here to pick and fight and try to show off yourself as a troll? You are the one who is not contributing and trying to attack me personally.

You are the one who is trying to start an argument. What is wrong with saying that a Pre-med who knows little about podiatry and wants to pick Podiatry as a backup is a poor plan? Are you just here to pick and fight and try to show off yourself as a troll? You are the one who is not contributing and trying to attack me personally.

Calm down guys. Just some miscommunication.

@owl1999 he is saying DPM is a poor back up plan for someone going into medicine as a pre-med who has never touched podiatry before.

There is no need for a pissing contest. Most of the pre-meds/med students who come into this forum are actually pretty respectful.

I can see how it might've come off as inflammatory, but no need to grab our pitchforks.

Even if @Whysoez is baiting, there's no need to respond to someone who does not have exposure to the field or has never worked with us before.

Calm down guys. Just some miscommunication.

@owl1999 he is saying DPM is a poor back up plan for someone going into medicine as a pre-med who has never touched podiatry before.

There is no need for a pissing contest. Most of the pre-meds/med students who come into this forum are actually pretty respectful.

I can see how it might've come off as inflammatory, but no need to grab our pitchforks.

Even if @Whysoez is baiting, there's no need to respond to someone who does not have exposure to the field or has never worked with us before.

OP has expressed his/her desire to go to med school the frustrations for not having a more successful app cycle, and it comes off and "becoming a doctor no matter what" when he/she created this thread. Picking podiatry as a backup without knowing what podiatry is like is a poor plan because unlike MD/DO, podiatry is a one-way ticket, you have no options to pick from later. As pre-pods, do you guys want this field to be filled with passionate students who genuinely are interests in Podiatry, to contribute collectively and to help Podiatry grow as a medical specialty, or do you want it to forever be the safety net for pre-meds?

Calm down guys all of you have contributed different opinions about my post and I am very appreciate it. No need to get heat up about this I am just asking and make sure I have more option to choose if my cycle is not good. If everything going well this cycle later I am the one that is trolling not you guys.

OP has expressed his/her desire to go to med school the frustrations for not having a more successful app cycle, and it comes off and "becoming a doctor no matter what" when he/she created this thread. Picking podiatry as a backup without knowing what podiatry is like is a poor plan because unlike MD/DO, podiatry is a one-way ticket, you have no options to pick from later. As pre-pods, do you guys want this field to be filled with passionate students who genuinely are interests in Podiatry, to contribute collectively and to help Podiatry grow as a medical specialty, or do you want it to forever be the safety net for pre-meds?

Lets not kid ourselves that students out there WILL continue to see this field as a back up net. PA, Optometry, PT. The list goes on.

To think otherwise is naive.

The only thing we can do is point them in the right direction. You cannot, and will not, be able to vet every student going into this field (or yours for that matter) for the right reasons.

If you don't believe me, wait until you see how many asshats you run into in MD/DO school who have no business being in patient care. Grades non-withstanding.

Reactions: 3 users
As pre-pods, do you guys want this field to be filled with passionate students who genuinely are interests in Podiatry, to contribute collectively and to help Podiatry grow as a medical specialty, or do you want it to forever be the safety net for pre-meds?

We have both types of students. One that has the stats for MD/DO school but wants to do Podiatry because of other reasons. Then we have those that do not have the stats for MD/DO school but pursue this field because of various reasons (safety net is one of them).

IMO, its fine for the 2nd group to join us as long as they know what they are getting themselves into (as stated above).

1. OP has a passion to become a doctor, and like many MD/DO students, they don't even know what specialty they will have. Saying the OP being "trapped" in a specialty is very silly, because if you got the MD/DO route, then you have to prepare to be a family doctor, if things go awry, even if its not your passion. "one-way ticket" can be expressed in this situation just as easily.

2. People in podiatry school are as passionate about their specialty as typically any other student. The real passion comes from helping people increase their quality of life through medical care, which can translate to students wanting to do that through foot, ankle, and leg care and surgery.

3. You're a DO student, you're already in a safety net for pre-med students. Do you want to be also known as the safety net choice for pre-meds? See how silly that sounds?

Just more info on pod med schools before you say more silly things:

1.) Podiatric and DO (like you) take pre-clinical sciences together (the DMU DO/DPM school)
2.) Podiatric physicians have 3-4 years of residency
3.) fellowships are possible
4.) Sub-specialties exist in podiatric medicine

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Okay...