Poor clinical ECs, Good research ECs, 34/4.0, Should I apply MD/PhD to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harposnarpo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a not well recognized public school, where I have a 4.0.

Scored 12.PS, 11.VR, 11.BS.

Just read a post saying MD/PhD programs consider research ECs more than clinical ones.

Since my research is so much better than clinical, can I apply to research programs and expect to get into better schools?

Research-wise, I have 2 years experience in the same lab, no publications yet (will submit one in a few months).

Members don't see this ad.

i agree with CTT, only apply if you want to do it, i have a friend who did ok on the mcat, n decides she will apply MD/PhD since her PI told her that she has a better chance to get in if she does that which I think it's not very bright cuz I don't think she really wants a PhD to begin with, it's just for the sake of med school which is ..., personally i would object aginst MD/PhD unless you really want that PhD, they are very good at screening people and determining who really wants that PhD especially from california where i hear they pay for the MD/PhD programs at the UC

apply if you really want that PhD, or else don't do it

Oh wow, I didn't realize they added so much extra time. Stupid idea on my part.

MD/PhD programs are also harder to get into (MSTPs are way hard). So given your MCAT I would say stick with MD. I don't have the strongest clinical side because all my other ECs take up at least 30 hrs/wk (varsity athlete plus TA plus clubs) so the AdComs will be able to look at what I have done. For you the AdComs will look at your experience in the lab. Yes you may be lacking some clinical stuff, but as long as they understand why you don't have 500 hrs of volunteering or shadowing because of your other activities you should be fine.