Population Health as science course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering whether population health courses are counted as science courses.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is no, but we don't have enough info here. What department is this from? What is the course title (ie BIO 101, etc).

Last year I called ADEA ADSAS about whether my Health course was considered a science course. They told me it must have a course title of BIO, CHEM, or PHYS to be considered a science course.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, population health sounds a lot like community health, which according to the AADSAS Course Subjects list I was able to find, would be considered a non-science department.

The person I talked to from ADSAS told me that for the science GPA portion, not BCP. She said, "Science and BCP GPA's differ because science GPA also has math factored in. Otherwise it would be the same." Because of SDN I know that ADSAS reps do contradict each other, so I would love for her to be wrong so that I can include my own health course into my science GPA! :)

The person I talked to from ADSAS told me that for the science GPA portion, not BCP. She said, "Science and BCP GPA's differ because science GPA also has math factored in. Otherwise it would be the same." Because of SDN I know that ADSAS reps do contradict each other, so I would love for her to be wrong so that I can include my own health course into my science GPA! :)

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ts/GeneralInstructions/Pages/Coursework2.aspx

Click the link after
Course Subject Use your best judgment to classify your courses as English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science (Sciences other than biology-chemistry-physics), or Non Science.

It gives the proper info for determining each of your classes.

@Janeausten, here is the course subjects list from 2013-2014. As you can see, @sgv is correct.

Attachments

• AADSAS Course Subjects 2014.pdf
    281.5 KB · Views: 65
On the link, the population health is not listed.. The course is offered by Population Health departments.
There are three courses.

1. Public Health: Principles & Practice
2. Biological Basis-Population Health
3. Epidemiology

It sounds like it would fall under the social sciences.

On the link, the population health is not listed.. The course is offered by Population Health departments.
There are three courses.

3. Epidemiology
that looks like it'll count as epidemiology (science course). the best way to check is to call them

http://pophealth.med.nyu.edu/

There are three courses.

3. Epidemiology

Actually if you looked at the document more closely, you'd see that:
1. Public Health is listed under non-science
2. Epidemiology is listed under biology

Not sure where Biological Basis-Population Health would go, but I'd put it under biology because it has bio in the name...