Possibility of getting into an MD/PhD program with minimal research hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I was recommended this forum for better advice after posting under the MD forum. I am in a little bit of a dilemma. I plan on applying MD/PhD this coming cycle. However, I am not so confident about my research accomplishments. I only have one first author pub in a good journal in an area of research I don't plan on entirely pursuing (it's in radiology, but I want to work in a nuclear cardiology lab). I am from a small LAC, so securing research opportunities is extremely challenging. I have worked in a cardiovascular research lab this past summer (around 400 hours, but no pubs) and I am certain that's the field of research I want to pursue. I am currently a college senior graduating this May. From then on, I will be working in a nuclear cardiology lab at Harvard Medical school while applying to med school. With all other parts of my application being strong (GPA, MCAT, clinical and nonclinical volunteering etc.), do I even consider applying MD/ PhD to Harvard or any other top institution with just one publication in radiology and no publication in cardiology if I want to be in nuclear cardiology lab?

Here are my stats and ECs:
Thank you guys so much for the feedback, it lifted up my spirits!
Stats are:
3.88 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA
518 MCAT
Around 1000 hours of research (three separate research, only summer :writer:)
Nearly 500 hours of clinical volunteering
400 hours nonclinical volunteering
Strong letters
1 pub as first author, named outstanding researcher for a summer of research, several poster presentations and leadership roles.

I am a student of color if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

You do have a shot as URM w excellent academic benchmarks, low research hours, but a first-author pub. You must apply broadly. PM me and/or follow my advice of looking for MSTPs & AAMC table B-8. Have some dream apps, but mostly MSTPs in the 30- 50 range. The competition for URMs among MSTPs is fierce as we are evaluated by study section in a competitive manner. Thanks to many of the URM PREPs and other URM development programs, there are enough for the programs on the top of the ladder. In the end, you will get outstanding training if that is what you want...

Reactions: 1 user
You do have a shot as URM w excellent academic benchmarks, low research hours, but a first-author pub. You must apply broadly. PM me and/or follow my advice of looking for MSTPs & AAMC table B-8. Have some dream apps, but mostly MSTPs in the 30- 50 range. The competition for URMs among MSTPs is fierce as we are evaluated by study section in a competitive manner. Thanks to many of the URM PREPs and other URM development programs, there are enough for the programs on the top of the ladder. In the end, you will get outstanding training if that is what you want...
Thank you so much! Yeah, heard the competition for URMs in MSTPs is extremely high. I'll PM you.