Pulm-Crit docs - how much do you work and make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillers

Attending physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attending physicians - how much do you work and make? What is your job like (private, academic, split of pulm vs CCM)?
Curious to hear what others are doing and making.

Me:
Clinical faculty at a medical school in the midwest
On service 26 weeks a year. About 8-10 weeks is ICU, the rest is inpatient consults. Have 2-3 half days of pulm clinic per week (even when on service), typically seeing about 8-10 patients per clinic. Work every 5-6th weekend. 2 nights a month.
Base salary is about 220k, with nights about 280k

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending physicians - how much do you work and make? What is your job like (private, academic, split of pulm vs CCM)?

Me:
On service 26 weeks a year. About 8-10 weeks is ICU, the rest is inpatient consults. Have 2-3 half days of pulm clinic per week (even when on service), typically seeing about 8-10 patients per clinic. Work every 5-6th weekend. 2 nights a month.
Curious what a week of on-service looks like for you? Are those long 12-hour days, or is it more chill in academia? To be honest, your salary seems lower than I would expect, but I guess its academia. Weekends also 7-7 coverage?

Reactions: 1 user
On service varies wildly. Busiest day, might round on 15 patients in ICU, do some procedures, and go to clinic. On a light day on consults might do 1 bronch and round on 6 old patients, then do research or meetings the rest of the day.

Forgot include that my average wRVU a year is around 6-7000. Would be more if I did more ICU time obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious what a week of on-service looks like for you? Are those long 12-hour days, or is it more chill in academia? To be honest, your salary seems lower than I would expect, but I guess its academia. Weekends also 7-7 coverage?
Also weekends are 7 am - whenever I finish, usually 2-5 pm. Fellows take calls after hours.

I do CCM only, 7 on 7 off, made 580k (400k base plus $60/wRVU over 6000) in 2021, small city in Southeast US. Moved to large city in the West this year for wife, also 7 on/off, 500k base but not as much productivity bonus. Locum is the way to go for money, my friends who can travel are killing it.

Reactions: 4 users
165 shifts (about 40% nights) last year 530k, good size city with an airport in an otherwise rural area. Night shifts generally pretty chill (no crossover only new admits, can be at home if nothing is happening), day shifts varied from getting out at 4pm to staying till 11pm when covid was bad.

I do full time locum inpatient pulm/CC... work about 12 shifts a month and make ~550K. Never work holidays and get to cherry-pick/choose schedule 100%. Its nice but the travel wears on you

165 shifts (about 40% nights) last year 530k, good size city with an airport in an otherwise rural area. Night shifts generally pretty chill (no crossover only new admits, can be at home if nothing is happening), day shifts varied from getting out at 4pm to staying till 11pm when covid was bad.
Wow, you are killing it. Is this ICU only, or ICU/pulm? That is a lot of nights though. Are you in PP?

I do CCM only, 7 on 7 off, made 580k (400k base plus $60/wRVU over 6000) in 2021, small city in Southeast US. Moved to large city in the West this year for wife, also 7 on/off, 500k base but not as much productivity bonus. Locum is the way to go for money, my friends who can travel are killing it.
You are also killing it! I don't think I could do that much ICU, but maybe for that money? haha. Do you work in private practice or academia?
I get frequent texts about locums jobs, it sounds tempting.

I do full time locum inpatient pulm/CC... work about 12 shifts a month and make ~550K. Never work holidays and get to cherry-pick/choose schedule 100%. Its nice but the travel wears on you
How long have you been doing locums? Do you have to travel far, or mostly local? Do you have a family/kids?

What are the locums rates? I've heard of pulm crit locums getting 5k a shift in rural Indiana. I'm thinking of doing locums.

Locum rates vary based on location and desperation. I have friends getting $350-400/h in middle of nowhere type places.

Members don't see this ad :)

Me:
Med student here. I'm curious, what makes a clinical faculty position in pulm attractive? I'm assuming "clinical faculty" means "clinical professor of pulm/cc" vs. "professor of pulm/cc." Seems like it doesn't carry the same prestige or advancement opportunities as the normal tenured professor track and pays only marginally more (with less room for outside/reputation-based income, like consulting and speaking fees, and less possibility for higher paid academic roles, like department Chair). The latest MGMA data suggests Pulm/CC makes $500k on average in the Midwest. Not sure if I could stomach a 40% pay cut unless I was some sort of academic God of pulmonology, so I must be missing something. What makes the academic environment more attractive when you aren't a hardcore researcher?

Me:

Old job: Prestigious academic center, 28-30 wks on-service a year, 2 half days of clinic per week. Base pay 180K + modest bonus, by moonlighting a couple times a month salary was around 250K. Involved in teaching, clinical research, translational research

New Job: Less prestigious academic center, on service about half the year, 2-3 clinics per weeks, no nights, quarterly productivity bonus. Pay about 350K + bonus, usually around 400K. Still involved in teaching fellow and residents, less so in research

Med student here. I'm curious, what makes a clinical faculty position in pulm attractive? I'm assuming "clinical faculty" means "clinical professor of pulm/cc" vs. "professor of pulm/cc." Seems like it doesn't carry the same prestige or advancement opportunities as the normal tenured professor track and pays only marginally more (with less room for outside/reputation-based income, like consulting and speaking fees, and less possibility for higher paid academic roles, like department Chair). The latest MGMA data suggests Pulm/CC makes $500k on average in the Midwest. Not sure if I could stomach a 40% pay cut unless I was some sort of academic God of pulmonology, so I must be missing something. What makes the academic environment more attractive when you aren't a hardcore researcher?
What makes it worthwhile:
Working at a major academic center and taking care of sick, complex patients (not saying that this doesn't happen in the community)
Developing a niche (ILD, PH, etc) and becoming a regional or national expert in your field. This opens up opportunities for research, speaking, etc that can help advance your career and earn money outside of your job if you're motivated
Clinical research and publishing papers (if that's your thing), even if you're not tenure track opportunities for funding will come up
Still plenty of money for most people. Growing my parents' combined income was 40k a year, so my perspective may be different
Less clinical work (maybe)
Salary much better than tenure track
Less weekends/nights
Teaching

Reasons it doesn't appeal to many:
Less money compared to non-academic
complex patients typically already seen by 1-2 community pulmonologists
Focus on research productivity for promotion
More work outside of clinical care (research, admin etc)
Don't enjoy teaching

Academic is not for everyone, especially if you can't deal with the pay difference. But it has an appeal to many. Most of our graduating fellows remain at academic centers. Keep in mind there are a wide-range of clinical academic jobs, ranging from high-powered academic centers to lower-tier places where the salary is significantly higher.

Reactions: 2 users
Locum rates vary based on location and desperation. I have friends getting $350-400/h in middle of nowhere type places.
How do they get a hold of these gigs? Cold calling? Recruiters? Do these gigs cover tail?

Old job: Prestigious academic center, 28-30 wks on-service a year, 2 half days of clinic per week. Base pay 180K + modest bonus, by moonlighting a couple times a month salary was around 250K. Involved in teaching, clinical research, translational research

New Job: Less prestigious academic center, on service about half the year, 2-3 clinics per weeks, no nights, quarterly productivity bonus. Pay about 350K + bonus, usually around 400K. Still involved in teaching fellow and residents, less so in research
For academia, does on service for half the year mean you're working all 7 days each of those weeks so half of all weekends? Or is weekend call for the ICU a separate, less frequent amount?

How do they get a hold of these gigs? Cold calling? Recruiters? Do these gigs cover tail?
I usually get emails. Can start by reaching out to locum agencies. I’m in a large metropolitan area in the west and we are paying 300+/h for our locums at my place when we need em. The place I was in before in “middle of nowhere” southwest was just recently paying 350/h. If you’re flexible with location and schedule, these rates are out there if you look for them.

On service varies wildly. Busiest day, might round on 15 patients in ICU, do some procedures, and go to clinic. On a light day on consults might do 1 bronch and round on 6 old patients, then do research or meetings the rest of the day.

Forgot include that my average wRVU a year is around 6-7000. Would be more if I did more ICU time obviously.
Thanks for answering our questions by the way; this is super informative. Feels like a black box none of the academic attendings in our residency program want to talk about. How does vacation time work with weeks on service; is it just something that you're eligible to take on clinic weeks not on service?

Just to clarify, what does "prestigious" means in this context? Is it "brand name" as in JHH, Duke, Penn, Yale, UMich, Northwestern, Emory, etc...? And then is "less prestigious" more like, "respected institution" on the order of UVA, Colorado, Maryland, OHSU, Miami, etc...?

I'm curious where the cutoff is. I've always heard things like, "you practically pay Hopkins for the privilege of working there," but I never knew how far down this extends. Are people still falling over themselves to work at UVA?

I ask because I'm an MSTP student interested in an academic career, and I always thought my ideal was working in a translational capacity at a place like BU, Tufts, Einstein, UCI, UCD, etc... (i.e., outside of the brand name, but great connections to high quality labs and industry). I have plenty of experience with the Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford systems, and to be honest it seems pretty miserable to try to compete there. People endure a lot of abuse just for the name.
Working at a major academic center and taking care of sick, complex patients (not saying that this doesn't happen in the community)
Developing a niche (ILD, PH, etc) and becoming a regional or national expert in your field. This opens up opportunities for research, speaking, etc that can help advance your career and earn money outside of your job if you're motivated
Clinical research and publishing papers (if that's your thing), even if you're not tenure track opportunities for funding will come up
Still plenty of money for most people. Growing my parents' combined income was 40k a year, so my perspective may be different
Less weekends/nights
Teaching

Don't enjoy teaching

Academic is not for everyone, especially if you can't deal with the pay difference. But it has an appeal to many. Most of our graduating fellows remain at academic centers. Keep in mind there are a wide-range of clinical academic jobs, ranging from high-powered academic centers to lower-tier places where the salary is significantly higher.
One last clarification, how far up can you advance your career on the non-tenure track? It seems like a more-or-less self-limited pathway. Do non-tenure track faculty ever become chiefs, chairs, or execs within the hospital system? What is the "end-goal" of a non-tenure track position? I think I'd get bored of my career if I ever got a position and there wasn't something higher to aspire towards.

Thanks again for the detailed responses. It's all extremely murky down here, and it seems like no one at my institution will give me any advice aside from "publish in Nature and start a lab because it looks good for our MSTP grant."

I usually get emails. Can start by reaching out to locum agencies. I’m in a large metropolitan area in the west and we are paying 300+/h for our locums at my place when we need em. The place I was in before in “middle of nowhere” southwest was just recently paying 350/h. If you’re flexible with location and schedule, these rates are out there if you look for them.
And as for malpractice coverage, how does it work?

And as for malpractice coverage, how does it work?
This would be covered by a locums company typically but ultimately it is whatever your contract says. One would assume medmal risk is significantly higher since places needing locums also have issues retaining other staff and lack of familiarity will definitely breed errors on multiple fronts.

(not prestigious) academic center, east coast. 300K salary plus 25K (no match requirement) for retirement.

On service 18 weeks/year, M-F, separate weekend schedule. 75% ICU, 25% pulm. 8-10 weekends per year. Off service weeks are 2.5 days of clinic. Essentially no night call, fellows/eICU handle that. Absolutely necessary overnight bronchs handled by IP service. Expected to contribute to committees, etc but no research requirement.

I chose this position for the work life balance. I make enough money to be happy and I still get to see my wife and kids a lot. I'm around enough that my wife can work part-time and we don't need to hire childcare. We live in a (I think) desirable location with good public schools.

I'm of the mindset that I didn't bust my ass for 10 years in med school/residency/fellowship to continue working that hard as an attending. I understand the appeal of 7 on 7 off ICU making 500K/year somewhere in the middle of the country, but for where I am in life that is just not a sustainable plan.

Reactions: 7 users
(not prestigious) academic center, east coast. 300K salary plus 25K (no match requirement) for retirement.

On service 18 weeks/year, M-F, separate weekend schedule. 75% ICU, 25% pulm. 8-10 weekends per year. Off service weeks are 2.5 days of clinic. Essentially no night call, fellows/eICU handle that. Absolutely necessary overnight bronchs handled by IP service. Expected to contribute to committees, etc but no research requirement.

I chose this position for the work life balance. I make enough money to be happy and I still get to see my wife and kids a lot. I'm around enough that my wife can work part-time and we don't need to hire childcare. We live in a (I think) desirable location with good public schools.

I'm of the mindset that I didn't bust my ass for 10 years in med school/residency/fellowship to continue working that hard as an attending. I understand the appeal of 7 on 7 off ICU making 500K/year somewhere in the middle of the country, but for where I am in life that is just not a sustainable plan.
What an awesome gig

Thanks for answering our questions by the way; this is super informative. Feels like a black box none of the academic attendings in our residency program want to talk about. How does vacation time work with weeks on service; is it just something that you're eligible to take on clinic weeks not on service?
Yes, we have 4 weeks when we are not on service...it's not scrutinized very much and many people also take long weekends etc when they're not on service and work remotely.

Less weekends/nights
Teaching

Don't enjoy teaching

I agree with most of this. I would add that some people enjoy being general pulmonologists and doing everything, clinic, bronchs, ICU, EBUS/Nav etc. This is harder to do in academic than in PP, although it's highly dependent on your institution and the geographic region you practice in.

Congrats on finding good work-life balance! Definitely not easy. I also could make more money working elsewhere, but having grandparents around to help with small children is priceless.

For academia, does on service for half the year mean you're working all 7 days each of those weeks so half of all weekends? Or is weekend call for the ICU a separate, less frequent amount?
At our place, for the consult service and our 2nd ICU, weekends are separate. I work about 12 weekends a year. For the main ICU, schedule is a week at a time including ICUs. Those who do ICU only (not me) work about 22 weekends a year.

Just to clarify, what does "prestigious" means in this context? Is it "brand name" as in JHH, Duke, Penn, Yale, UMich, Northwestern, Emory, etc...? And then is "less prestigious" more like, "respected institution" on the order of UVA, Colorado, Maryland, OHSU, Miami, etc...?

I'm curious where the cutoff is. I've always heard things like, "you practically pay Hopkins for the privilege of working there," but I never knew how far down this extends. Are people still falling over themselves to work at UVA?

I ask because I'm an MSTP student interested in an academic career, and I always thought my ideal was working in a translational capacity at a place like BU, Tufts, Einstein, UCI, UCD, etc... (i.e., outside of the brand name, but great connections to high quality labs and industry). I have plenty of experience with the Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford systems, and to be honest it seems pretty miserable to try to compete there. People endure a lot of abuse just for the name.

One last clarification, how far up can you advance your career on the non-tenure track? It seems like a more-or-less self-limited pathway. Do non-tenure track faculty ever become chiefs, chairs, or execs within the hospital system? What is the "end-goal" of a non-tenure track position? I think I'd get bored of my career if I ever got a position and there wasn't something higher to aspire towards.

Thanks again for the detailed responses. It's all extremely murky down here, and it seems like no one at my institution will give me any advice aside from "publish in Nature and start a lab because it looks good for our MSTP grant."
By prestigious I mean a brand-name hospital w/ an established research program, transplant, and a lot of NIH funding. Besides what you mentioned, MGH, Brigham, Columbia, UNC, Mayo, U of Chicago, WashU, UT Southwestern, Baylor, Colorado (historically one of the best), Pittsburgh, UCLA, USCF, UCSD, University of Washington, Stanford. These places usually pay fairly poorly, to both tenure track and clinical faculty. Clinical faculty are still expected to do research and run clinical trials, etc for the record I don't work at Colorado.

There are many great programs that don't have a US News top 25 brand-name, but have excellent clinical training and NIH funding: Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio State, Kansas, Case Western, BU, and the places you mentioned, and many others. Generally these places pay better than the first group, to both research and clinical faculty. They have a harder time recruiting faculty and MSTPs because of their location and lack of name recognition and do better w/ local talent.

Finally there are a few places with a brand name that don't necessarily have NIH-funded research training programs and may be more difficult to launch a tenure-track research career: NYU, Cleveland Clinic are the ones that come to mind. They may pay poorly as well.

Non-tenure track faculty can advance in administrative and other roles for sure. They won't be division heads at their institutions, but they could become involved in med-Ed, QI/safety, become chief of clinical operations, and work into hospital administration executive roles if they're motivated and are given the opportunity. They could also transition to industry, especially if they are involved in clinical trials within their niche. There are a lot of different opportunities.

Just an example:
Clinical track professor at University of Chicago - 180-200k a year (they are currently advertising a position starting at 180k)
Research track at University of Chicago - probably 150K a year or less
Clinical track professor at University of Kansas - 350K a year + incentive
Research track professor at University of Kansas - 250K a year + incentive

Please note that these are generalizations based on my experiences and discussions with others. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. If you truly enjoy research, and want to have a successful research career, you will increase your likelihood of success starting at a big-name place and when you're NIH funded, could move to a less prestigious place and make more money if you wanted to. But even that is not a requirement or recipe for success.

Just chiming in to thank everyone who contributed to this thread; it's been very helpful as someone who is a new attending and trying to figure out the right long term path for me. I found it difficult in training to get a good view of the possible options.

Can anyone comment on how much does sleep medicine increase your salary, and whether the demand is still there for Pulm/CCM/Sleep trained physicians?

There are definitely places that prefer you to do sleep, but you'll likely be hired to do sleep + pulm/ccm so you should be prepared to do a good portion of your schedule as sleep. There's less money in sleep nowadays so the people who are doing it either like it or don't have any better options.

Frnd works in midwest, made 1.1 million doing mix of pulm and crit. not exactly week on week off. but they get 3-4 days off for every crit week.

Anyone know of job market in the northeast

in my first year of attending I did a tertiary care center community hospital teaching attending that had an in house fellowship in NYC in a busy urban hospital.

Monday through Fridays
Call q8 as attending with a full weekend of attending coverage for pulmonary and MICU
Supervised and taught fellows procedures - intubation, pigtails, bronchoscopies, chest ultrasound, thoracentesis, LP, central lines / A lines all the usual MICU stuff and pulmonary stuff.
Clinical hours with the fellows 3x a week when on the pulmonary rotation.
$220,000 a year

since I went full private with my own office and PFT/CPET lab... I make far higher now... no one would believe me even I cited a number. Let's just say there is a reason why private makes so much more. You work harder and longer to make more linearly. There is no diminishing returns in the same way there is for RVUs. Although I am not board certified in sleep medicine, I can even masquerade as sleep medicine physician to manage OSA doing home sleep apnea tests (and referring accordingly to a sleep center for more complex cases like CSA) and then ordering autoPAP right away if the home sleep test is positive and the clinical profile fits OSA only.

There is a stigma that private practice physicians are not as academically rigorous as the academic physicians. That is true for the harder and more complex cases. But in the community, many specialty referrals are for things that academic Internal Medicine could handle provided this was done at a place with resources like a large hospital system. (i.e. Academic PMD can order TTE, stress test, PFT, CXR/CTC at an academic center and only refer if defined disease is found that requires subspecialty management).

Are rates anywhere near the same range currently in the northeast region? Also curious how one goes around finding a well-run private practice group...(other than word of mouth of course). Feel free to DM if anyone has any leads.

in my first year of attending I did a tertiary care center community hospital teaching attending that had an in house fellowship in NYC in a busy urban hospital.

Monday through Fridays
Call q8 as attending with a full weekend of attending coverage for pulmonary and MICU
Supervised and taught fellows procedures - intubation, pigtails, bronchoscopies, chest ultrasound, thoracentesis, LP, central lines / A lines all the usual MICU stuff and pulmonary stuff.
Clinical hours with the fellows 3x a week when on the pulmonary rotation.
$220,000 a year

since I went full private with my own office and PFT/CPET lab... I make far higher now... no one would believe me even I cited a number. Let's just say there is a reason why private makes so much more. You work harder and longer to make more linearly. There is no diminishing returns in the same way there is for RVUs. Although I am not board certified in sleep medicine, I can even masquerade as sleep medicine physician to manage OSA doing home sleep apnea tests (and referring accordingly to a sleep center for more complex cases like CSA) and then ordering autoPAP right away if the home sleep test is positive and the clinical profile fits OSA only.

There is a stigma that private practice physicians are not as academically rigorous as the academic physicians. That is true for the harder and more complex cases. But in the community, many specialty referrals are for things that academic Internal Medicine could handle provided this was done at a place with resources like a large hospital system. (i.e. Academic PMD can order TTE, stress test, PFT, CXR/CTC at an academic center and only refer if defined disease is found that requires subspecialty management).
I’m in New York, looking to hire? 🤣

I’m in New York, looking to hire? 🤣
ive already offered a job to one of the fellows i teach. so yep indeed!

opening a satellite office. gonna get that new PulmOne miniPFT that is plethysmography without the body box. looks easy enough to set up in a smaller office. i love the Vyntus. it's a caddy. but this new Smart Car is very promising as well.

ive already offered a job to one of the fellows i teach. so yep indeed!

opening a satellite office. gonna get that new PulmOne miniPFT that is plethysmography without the body box. looks easy enough to set up in a smaller office. i love the Vyntus. it's a caddy. but this new Smart Car is very promising as well.

PM me if you are looking for a part timer with experience in the NYC area !!!