Possible Vet School in Maine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the school is a state school and not private, there may be a good chance that they can potentially increase the number of LA vets. Especially if they give a good in state tuition break. Tufts is a private school and 80% of the applicants are non-residants and the school is more wildlife/SA focused compared to other schools.
They can for sure increase the number of vets. They will graduate from that school and then move to where they can find a job, if they can find a job while competing with the excess surplus of vets already over-saturating the market.

A better idea for Maine would be to use all of the money they'd have to use to start up a vet school and put that towards encouraging their residents to go to vet school (scholarships? contract seats?) and encouraging them to come back to Maine to work (with added incentives to serve underserved areas of the state with loan forgiveness programs etc).

But all of us who are immersed in this crap already know this. I'm hoping that you are just innocent/ignorant and didn't realize the problem that the veterinary industry as a whole is currently facing, with outstanding debt, increasing graduates, and decreasing job opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Some areas simply can't support the services they need. Even if you have a manageable debt load or even no debt at all, that doesn't suddenly mean that you can maintain a viable practice in any given area. Unless you've got a magical pot of dubloons and can provide services at a loss for decades, I guess.

More vets won't solve the issue. Lowering debt and increasing government and state support via subsidy and loan forgiveness (the latter of which exists but is very paltry right now) for rural vets will.

Yes. This is what is needed. If we want more large animal/food animal vets in rural areas, we need to be giving them incentives, not opening new schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This.

@Lilly63 there is absolutely a need for vets in rural areas. I don't think anyone would argue that.

However, that is not the issue.

The issue is that there is not enough money in rural areas for a vet to live off of in order to pay off the exorbitant loans that the vast, vast majority of us have to take out. So even if you create more vets, they are not going to help those rural areas because they cannot make a living. THAT is the issue.
I agree, but how many realistic options do they have to address this need? If they offered scholarships for Maine residents who wanted to practice veterinary medicine in that state, it probably won't make a dent in the exorbitant student loans since they had to go out of state for vet school. Therefore, they will have to move elsewhere to find a job to sustain the student loan payments or just not go to veterinary school to start with. If they went to an in-state school and had 100k in student loans vs. 250k+ from going out of state, being a LA vet may be viable in that area due to decreased debt load. I do understand everyone's concern about another vet school potentially opening up and the influx of 80-100 vets added to an already saturated industry, but I'd rather see another US school vs. another island school opening up.

I agree, but how many realistic options do they have to address this need? If they offered scholarships for Maine residents who wanted to practice veterinary medicine in that state, it probably won't make a dent in the exorbitant student loans since they had to go out of state for vet school. Therefore, they will have to move elsewhere to find a job to sustain the student loan payments or just not go to veterinary school to start with. If they went to an in-state school and had 100k in student loans vs. 250k+ from going out of state, being a LA vet may be viable in that area due to decreased debt load. I do understand everyone's concern about another vet school potentially opening up and the influx of 80-100 vets added to an already saturated industry, but I'd rather see another US school vs. another island school opening up.
I'd rather see no new schools opening at all

Reactions: 1 users
I believe in you
Seems like it would be more @Mad Jack's area
leprechaun-pirate.jpg

I don't want to see another vet school opened up anywhere in this world. Whatsoever. This isn't just a problem here in the US, it is a problem across the world. The UK, EU, Australia, etc. We. do. not. need. more. vet. schools.

There are plenty of veterinarians graduating from the current number of vet schools we have now to more than fill the need for vets.

If Maine really needs more vets in tiny podunk towns for large animals, a new vet school in that state won't solve the issue. They will need to give people a large financial incentive for coming to work there. These vets might be lucky to make 40K a year in these areas. There is no way they can pay on a 100K student loan (that is wishful thinking to only have 100K debt), pay for rent, electricity, water, sewer, gas, health insurance (if not provided), professional dues, gas in car, clothes, food, toiletries, and so on... with what amounts to about $3,000 a month (about 1/3 of that will need to go to student loans)... good luck living off $2,000/month. I currently can barely make it off $1500/month and I don't have the added expenses of professional dues and health insurance.. and if anything in their life goes amiss.. such as need an emergency appendectomy or the car broke down.. yeah, have fun figuring out how to afford that.

This isn't something another vet school will resolve. Heck, if just having IS tuition really worked than WICHE with AZ would have solved all the issues of not enough large animal vets in rural areas there... oh wait, it hasn't. WICHE is a program where the state covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition, so that those from AZ could go to a select number of vet schools on IS tuition fees and then go back to work in AZ for a period of time. It was designed to address the "shortage" of large animal vets in rural areas... it hasn't. Why? Because the debt is still too high and those areas can't support a vet financially.

They are basically going to have to cover most of vet school for a select few people and then contract with them to come back to the state or make them pay the money back if they really want something to bring vets to those areas.

What is more likely their intention is that they are seeing the other two new schools opening and seeing how much $$$ they are charging students and how much $$$ that brings to those states and they are going to bank on some of that income. Because, who cares if we hurt a few students? They will be just "fine" and that over-saturated profession, yeah who cares? We don't really need vets anyway so what does it matter if we fully screw them over?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but how many realistic options do they have to address this need?
Many states do offer loan forgiveness programs to work in underserved counties. Making the programs "good enough" to make this a viable option for vets would be better for the veterinary industry as a whole and better for the vets going to work there.
If they offered scholarships for Maine residents who wanted to practice veterinary medicine in that state, it probably won't make a dent in the exorbitant student loans since they had to go out of state for vet school.
Or set up a contract program like other states with no school have done, giving their students a cheaper than OOS tuition price.
Therefore, they will have to move elsewhere to find a job to sustain the student loan payments or just not go to veterinary school to start with.
Move elsewhere, like a place that can sustain a vet with debt. Or offer incentives for working/living there as previously mentioned.
If they went to an in-state school and had 100k in student loans vs. 250k+ from going out of state, being a LA vet may be viable in that area due to decreased debt load.
Just throwing this out there, even those of us with an IS school don't necessarily only come out with 100k in loans, my IS is nearly as expensive as some OOS schools would have been for me
I do understand everyone's concern about another vet school potentially opening up and the influx of 80-100 vets added to an already saturated industry, but I'd rather see another US school vs. another island school opening up.
This is a backwards way of looking at the situation. It's like when people buy exotic pets off poachers and then releasing them back to the wild. The mindset of "at least we're saving this one" when in fact you're just contributing to the greater problem and encouraging it to continue. Not the greatest metaphor, but I couldn't think of a better one. It's just infuriating to me to sit here and watch people with that mindset. "Better us to profit off the downfall of the vet industry than some random island nation." Just grr.

This rustles my feathers. Just like how we're considering increasing the class size. UP TO 200 PEOPLE. Because we're building a "new" school.

ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME, A&M??!?!

Luckily, we get to have a say and the answer has been a resounding NO!

This rustles my feathers. Just like how we're considering increasing the class size. UP TO 200 PEOPLE. Because we're building a "new" school.

Holy moly! I feel like our class size of 107 is huge. There are still some people I swear I've never met...

Oh wow...our class size is only 85

Yeah, I think we're currently one of the largest (if not the largest?) classes of any US school. We were 134, now 133. Usually capped at 132. :/

Yeah, I think we're currently one of the largest (if not the largest?) classes of any US school. We were 134, now 133. Usually capped at 132. :/

Jeebus. Even more now?

When I was teaching 2nd year path lab a couple years ago, it was ~120. Four classes of 30 each one after the other all afternoon. It was exhausting and I felt like everything was overcrowded. Then again I might be biased because I came from one of the smaller schools, but still.

We need to stop pumping out more graduates and reform student loans. There's no call to accredit any more vet schools in this country, despite the fact that not every state has a vet school.

Also, I was an IS student and had a lot more than $100K in loans.

Holy cow, that's such a large class size!

There's been whispers of a class increase here too (supposedly once they build the new academic building, which will take several years but still...). It makes me kinda sad. :( We don't need an increase of class size, what we have now is big enough.

The vet program in Nebraska is exploring changing their program from a 2+2 with Iowa to a 3+1 where your fourth year can be done anywhere. They want to add 25 OOS seats to start if they change the program. We had a meeting with our dean who was explaining this to us. He said that he has had no complaints about this idea at all. All of the vet students then proceeded to point out the fact that we don't need more students graduating right now. His response: "25 more students a year really won't make that much of a difference." I was kind of shocked that he would just completely ignore anything negative that people were saying about the proposed change and just blew off the idea that there currently an oversupply problem.

Here's why the schools keep adding seats. Because there are still plenty of pre-vets who are like:

"I don't care how much it costs, or how much I make after I graduate. Money isn't important to me. All I ever wanted to do was be a vet and I will never, ever be happy doing anything else. Ever."
GQEWWG1mRZIic.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Here's why the schools keep adding seats. Because there are still plenty of pre-vets who are like:

"I don't care how much it costs, or how much I make after I graduate. Money isn't important to me. All I ever wanted to do was be a vet and I will never, ever be happy doing anything else. Ever."
GQEWWG1mRZIic.gif

So isn't everyone on this forum guilty of this? xD

Not necessarily. I can only speak for myself, but I backed out of doing this about six months ago and was in the middle of applying to local MPH programs. The only thing that pulled me back in was how much progress my husband has already made in his new job and how that's made it financially possible for us to have me go to school now. I've also seen other people on here show that they've thought about this beyond "I really want to be a vet and I don't care about how much it costs."

It's a difference of magnitude. It's more like....
Vet students and realistic pre-vets: I know I'll never be wealthy but I'm doing it because I love it and we need to do what we can to make sure vets can earn a comfortable living wage commiserate with the level of education and hard work they put in. This includes capping class sizes, managing tuition and stopping new schools.
Starry eyes pre-vets: Please open more schools so I can get in because I just want to be a vet so badly and I don't care if I have to live in a cardboard box!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Vet students and realistic pre-vets: I know I'll never be wealthy but I'm doing it because I love it and we need to do what we can to make sure vets can earn a comfortable living wage commiserate with the level of education and hard work they put in. This includes capping class sizes, managing tuition and stopping new schools.
Starry eyes pre-vets: Please open more schools so I can get in because I just want to be a vet so badly and I don't care if I have to live in a cardboard box!!!!

Yeah, I was definitely a naive, starry-eyed pre-vet, but now that I know what I know, I can share my mistakes and hopefully it will help at least one person. I'm not saying don't ever do vet med (though do really think about the financial aspect before you commit), but maybe I can point out where along the way I could have done better and lessened my loans in order to help future pre-vets. If even one person does things differently because of what I have said or anyone of the other vet students/vets on here have been saying, it is worth it. It is worth seeing pre-vets make better financial decisions for themselves so that they aren't looking at $250,000 of debt or more. I can't currently stop the sky-rocketing tuition rates, but I can offer advice of how and where along the way to save money.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I was definitely a naive, starry-eyed pre-vet, but now that I know what I know, I can share my mistakes and hopefully it will help at least one person. I'm not saying don't ever do vet med (though do really think about the financial aspect before you commit), but maybe I can point out where along the way I could have done better and lessened my loans in order to help future pre-vets. If even one person does things differently because of what I have said or anyone of the other vet students/vets on here have been saying, it is worth it. It is worth seeing pre-vets make better financial decisions for themselves so that they aren't looking at $250,000 of debt or more. I can't currently stop the sky-rocketing tuition rates, but I can offer advice of how and where along the way to save money.

Such as... :writer:

Such as... :writer:

It's the things some/many of us have been suggesting for a long time. Things like: Use a community college if possible, don't waste your time finishing an undergrad degree (four years of tuition when three will do), live cheaply, go to your IS or a cheap OOS school, take the time to apply for scholarships every year (even $500 brings you a huge ROI), etc. Not everyone promotes all those things (except, maybe, me), but most of us support some portion of them.

This is tough to say because there are people here who went this route, and I don't want to beat anyone up or make anyone feel bad. And they are or will be just as good of a vet as anyone else. And they will find some way to make it work, probably. But I would think very, very, very, very hard before heading off to some route where you're going to end up $250k in debt. That's just too much. Seriously, for those people who are in that boat, not trying to make you feel bad. I just would advise anyone heading that way to do anything possible to avoid it.

It's the things some/many of us have been suggesting for a long time. Things like: Use a community college if possible, don't waste your time finishing an undergrad degree (four years of tuition when three will do), live cheaply, go to your IS or a cheap OOS school, take the time to apply for scholarships every year (even $500 brings you a huge ROI), etc. Not everyone promotes all those things (except, maybe, me), but most of us support some portion of them.

This is tough to say because there are people here who went this route, and I don't want to beat anyone up or make anyone feel bad. And they are or will be just as good of a vet as anyone else. And they will find some way to make it work, probably. But I would think very, very, very, very hard before heading off to some route where you're going to end up $250k in debt. That's just too much. Seriously, for those people who are in that boat, not trying to make you feel bad. I just would advise anyone heading that way to do anything possible to avoid it.

And as someone in this boat, don't feel bad. You are 100% correct. I beat myself up for it at times, I was naive. I think a big part of it is that I am the first in my family to go through college and professional school. Nobody in my family had really dealt with all of the loans and things before so it was a serious winging it sort of deal.

Basically everything LIS stated above. Go to a CC for as many courses as you can. Better if you can work and pay for those courses yourself without impacting your grades. Live cheaply. Just because you can get $20,000 in loans in undergrad, does not mean that you should. With federal loans, you can always decline some and get more later if you need (or you should be able to, speak with your financial aid office to be sure).

Go to an IS school. Don't have one? It would be cheaper to move and take the year to establish residency than it would be to spend 4 years in OOS tuition. Yes, being IS does not guarantee an acceptance, but it does give you better chances (depending on your GPA/GRE/etc. I was told point blank that if I had been IS instead of OOS, I would have been accepted at some schools instead of rejected/waitlisted). So, get IS tuition if you can possibly do so.

Scholarships are great, check with your school to see what scholarships, if any, they offer. It might not seem like a lot to get $500 or $1000, but once you figure interest on top of that, it really does help. Also, scholarships in undergrad... there are a MILLION of them, seriously. Look. I wish I had spent more time looking and applying for them. You can make it out of undergrad off scholarships, if you apply to enough of them. We will put this the way my mom told me but I ignored her, say you spend an hour to write an essay for one scholarship that is worth $1,000 and you get it. That means you just made $1,000/hour (and more because interest). Seriously, put the time in, it will be worth it later.

Live with roommates. I know, I don't like it much either and I have been living alone for a while now, but even just one roommate can cut your rent/utility expenses each month in half. Meaning you can save around $250-400 per MONTH by simply living with someone. Add that up over a year, then add that up over 4 years. Yeah, it is worth it, even if you absolutely hate people, you will survive for 4 years living with someone else.

Reactions: 3 users
Live with roommates. I know, I don't like it much either and I have been living alone for a while now, but even just one roommate can cut your rent/utility expenses each month in half. Meaning you can save around $250-400 per MONTH by simply living with someone. Add that up over a year, then add that up over 4 years. Yeah, it is worth it, even if you absolutely hate people, you will survive for 4 years living with someone else.
This is a good point, however some things aren't worth it. In a bad roommate situation currently and when we managed to get out of our lease early it was the biggest stress release. Vet school is stressful enough without a bad living situation piled on top. Now of course that doesn't happen with every roommate but I'm gun shy now about living with people and still debating if it's worth it for me to live alone next year or if I should find some new roomies. But that's future kcoughli's problem :D

This is a good point, however some things aren't worth it. In a bad roommate situation currently and when we managed to get out of our lease early it was the biggest stress release. Vet school is stressful enough without a bad living situation piled on top. Now of course that doesn't happen with every roommate but I'm gun shy now about living with people and still debating if it's worth it for me to live alone next year or if I should find some new roomies. But that's future kcoughli's problem :D

Yeah, obviously if the situation is super bad, then don't let it drag you down. And do what you need to do to maintain your sanity. But, in general, I think most people can *tolerate* another person for long enough to live with them for 4 years and truly horrendous roomie situations, while they do happen, aren't super common, but maybe they are... :shrug:

But, yes, if you are going to be stressing out hard-core about a roomie situation and making yourself sick over it, get out.

Ah, okay. I wouldn't really describe myself as "starry-eyed" in the sense of overlooking and/or ignoring the drawbacks. But I am definitely guilty of knowing that I could be successful in other, more profitable fields, and still stubbornly putting my foot down because I want to do vet med more than any of them. I've made a lot of smart financial decisions leading up to vet school, but that (IMO) doesn't really justify the overall financial mistake of going to vet school in the first place... :rolleyes: I'm an idiot, and I know it. But I'm also a stubborn idiot.

Ah, okay. I wouldn't really describe myself as "starry-eyed" in the sense of overlooking and/or ignoring the drawbacks. But I am definitely guilty of knowing that I could be successful in other, more profitable fields, and still stubbornly putting my foot down because I want to do vet med more than any of them. I've made a lot of smart financial decisions leading up to vet school, but that (IMO) doesn't really justify the overall financial mistake of going to vet school in the first place... :rolleyes: I'm an idiot, and I know it. But I'm also a stubborn idiot.
At least you're aware, that's the first step ;)

At least you're aware, that's the first step ;)

Well it also probably doesn't help that I work with vets that are very happy with what they do (including one who is a recent graduate) who tell me it's no big deal, it'll work out, etc. I'm not *that* naive, but I also wonder what would have gone differently if I'd worked for a vet who turned out more jaded and regretful. Every time I have a panic attack about debt at work, the vets just laugh and tell me I'm overreacting and shouldn't let that be the only reason I don't pursue it. But then I get on these boards and hear something totally different. It's completely confusing.

Well it also probably doesn't help that I work with vets that are very happy with what they do (including one who is a recent graduate) who tell me it's no big deal, it'll work out, etc. I'm not *that* naive, but I also wonder what would have gone differently if I'd worked for a vet who turned out more jaded and regretful. Every time I have a panic attack about debt at work, the vets just laugh and tell me I'm overreacting and shouldn't let that be the only reason I don't pursue it. But then I get on these boards and hear something totally different. It's completely confusing.

Depends on how much debt that recent grad is in. Did he/she have help from family? Just because one person is *fine* and doing ok financially, doesn't mean that others aren't struggling. And with a lot more vets getting over $200K in debt, I think we are going to be hearing more stories about how it isn't feasible than we will be about those who are doing fine.

Something that irks me in vet school now is all the "presentations" we get from those who have been out of school for 10-15 years telling us that we worry too much about the finances. When their debt coming out of school back then was easily half to 1/3 of what we face now. I don't think they are quite able to comprehend.

That isn't to say that you can't be fine with $200K+ in debt, you definitely can do fine, but it won't be easy.

Depends on how much debt that recent grad is in. Did he/she have help from family? Just because one person is *fine* and doing ok financially, doesn't mean that others aren't struggling. And with a lot more vets getting over $200K in debt, I think we are going to be hearing more stories about how it isn't feasible than we will be about those who are doing fine.

Something the irks me in vet school now is all the "presentations" we get from those who have been out of school for 10-15 years telling us that we worry too much about the finances. When their debt coming out of school back then was easily half to 1/3 of what we face now. I don't think they are quite able to comprehend.

That isn't to say that you can't be fine with $200+ in debt, you definitely can do fine, but it won't be easy.
She's been out of vet school for about 5 years, I believe. And no, she didn't have any help that I'm aware of; she frequently jokes about being in debt for life. But see, that's her attitude about it: it's a nuisance but not crippling. The other vet I work for, who's been out for closer to ten years, just says I have to know it'll be like a mortgage payment, and I'll make sacrifices accordingly, but that the panic I currently have about it is irrational. She thinks it's ridiculous that I'm worried about having to live in my car and eat Ramen noodles until I'm 40. And as for what their spouses make (which obviously can make a difference in how "fine" you are post-grad), their salaries are roughly comparable, from what I understand.

She's been out of vet school for about 5 years, I believe. And no, she didn't have any help that I'm aware of; she frequently jokes about being in debt for life. But see, that's her attitude about it: it's a nuisance but not crippling. The other vet I work for, who's been out for closer to ten years, just says I have to know it'll be like a mortgage payment, and I'll make sacrifices accordingly, but that the panic I currently have about it is irrational. She thinks it's ridiculous that I'm worried about having to live in my car and eat Ramen noodles until I'm 40. And as for what their spouses make (which obviously can make a difference in how "fine" you are post-grad), their salaries are roughly comparable, from what I understand.

Having a spouse definitely helps a lot. Much easier to make that work on two incomes instead of just one.

It really is like a mortgage payment but think about that. If you ever want to buy a house, you will be making what is equivalent to 2 mortgage payments every month. Not that easy. Not impossible, but not easy.

That's disappointing that schools are increasing class sizes. :lame:
Some areas simply can't support the services they need. Even if you have a manageable debt load or even no debt at all, that doesn't suddenly mean that you can maintain a viable practice in any given area. Unless you've got a magical pot of dubloons and can provide services at a loss for decades, I guess.
You all are brilliant. I'm going to start chasing rainbows now so I can afford vet school and never have to worry about being paid. :heckyeah:
And, @Mad Jack , give me some of your dubloons when they grow!

That's disappointing that schools are increasing class sizes. :lame:

You all are brilliant. I'm going to start chasing rainbows now so I can afford vet school and never have to worry about being paid. :heckyeah:
And, @Mad Jack , give me some of your dubloons when they grow!
102196_900.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not going into radiology :p

Very little advice is 100% universally true or applicable, but I think DVMD's point is pretty strong. Anything that can help someone live more cheaply when they are living on credit is a smart move. If it's untenable, like your situation, that's obviously a good time to make a change.

You're not overreacting. The debt to income situation should be sobering for anyone going into this profession. Not to consider it would be reckless. I'm not saying that no one should consider it. I am saying that anyone who is should look hard at the financial realities of it, what it's going to mean for them long term, and have an educated plan on how their going to manage it.

You're not overreacting. The debt to income situation should be sobering for anyone going into this profession. Not to consider it would be reckless. I'm not saying that no one should consider it. I am saying that anyone who is should look hard at the financial realities of it, what it's going to mean for them long term, and have an educated plan on how their going to manage it.

Yes.

Also, while it is great that you might be ok, or your vet mentor is ok, or the vet up the road is doing ok. You should be considerate of the entire profession. You should know the challenges and obstacles that face the others within the profession. Vet med is a very small group of people and we need to work together to make it the best that it can be. Which means, it isn't necessarily about how well you are doing, or your vet friend down the road is doing, but how well the profession is doing as a whole and what problems exist and how might we be able to fix them. This way the profession can flourish and thrive instead of fizzle apart.

Reactions: 4 users