Possibly overpaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulane06

Private Joker
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The past couple of pay days, I received an unexpected amount of money from the Army. Is this common? Should I put that money in a separate account or something, in case they want it back? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely find out why you received the money. I just faced the possibility of being overpaid for the last 7 years:eek: It has taken 3 months to remove the possibility of having to pay back A LOT of $$$. With the help of a huge entourage of people, I was able to resolve the issue and FINALLY get paid at the appropriate level. Bottom line, find out why you got the extra $$$. If you're not supposed to have it anyway, IT WILL come back to haunt you.

Yes I would hold on to it for at least a couple months before you spend it. Even if you call the Army and they tell you that you were supposed to get the money do not believe them for a couple months. I have been over payed by the Navy twice and both times I called to make sure I was supposed to receive the money. Both times they told me the money was mine to spend. The first time it took them 2 months to realize their mistake and take the money back (after I spent it) and the 2ND time they realized it one week later. Both times they took the money back.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Army is famous for screwing up pay and then garnishing wages to make up for their mistakes.

I knew an 06 who had his entire salary mistakenly garnished for a 6 month period, when he was deployed no less. It took him another 6 months to get it straightened out.

Definitely do not spend the money until you are 100% sure it's not a mistake.

You could always send it to me, as it looks like the Army is forgetting to reimburse for my 3rd year textbooks (and that'a a hefty chunk of change), and no one can tell me why.

You could always send it to me, as it looks like the Army is forgetting to reimburse for my 3rd year textbooks (and that'a a hefty chunk of change), and no one can tell me why.
I called regarding my book reimbursement and got the excuse that all the forms are sitting in a box until they get the ok, since the new fiscal year just started on Oct 1.

keep it, put it in a money market account, and forget it's there until some civilian that is probably an alcoholic double dipping military retiree goes on vacation at DFAS, his temp actually does his job and catches it.

You pocket the intrest and it'll be one of the few times, if ever, you actually get a chance to stick it to the man.

don't EVER make a pay inquiry on stuff like this, they'll only start digging and finding even MORE stuff to screw you on. Let sleeping dogs lay ( or is it lie ? )

ethical ? gimme a freaken break, right at this very minute, some dingus is walking around with a brief case of 20 dollar bills paying Iraqis to pick up trash with our tax dollars.

The past couple of pay days, I received an unexpected amount of money from the Army. Is this common? Should I put that money in a separate account or something, in case they want it back? Thanks.

Could be you were paid for unused leave?? If you had leave days they have been known to pay you for it at the end of the FY...