Post a good case, dammit.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I knew she probably didn’t. I am not a onc person by any means. But I know you need someone who knows what they are doing to treat it. Crazy thing is that they didn’t have diagnosed cancer (yet).

Unngh. WBC of whatever it was (it was sky-high, not going back to the last page to look), and Jenny McJennyson doesn't know enough to recognize what it might be.

Yep.

Heart of a nurse, brain of a... tree stump.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Unngh. WBC of whatever it was (it was sky-high, not going back to the last page to look), and Jenny McJennyson doesn't know enough to recognize what it might be.

Yep.

Heart of a nurse, brain of a... tree stump.
I could write posts all day about this new Jenny mcjennyson we have working nights. The question I get that are so outside my realm. I think she is deathly afraid to call her attending

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not gonna lie--if I had a pt w/ hyperkalemia w/ a super high wbc my first thought would be spurious hyperK rather than TLS...
Would The white cell lysis show up on the labs? I honestly don’t know. That is why I recommended a uric acid level and calling someone who knows more than me. I admit I may have just been lucky.
Ps. They did have peaked t waves on their ekg. I did leave that info out. Only slightly relevant. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone noticing a huge uptick in substance abuse? 75+% of icu patients this week have all had histories of either etoh or drug abuse. Seems to always be meth and heroin here.

Anyone noticing a huge uptick in substance abuse? 75+% of icu patients this week have all had histories of either etoh or drug abuse. Seems to always be meth and heroin here.

In the or I have noticed a lot more people in alcohol withdrawal or came in with abscesses while doing meth or heroin.

I just admitted a TLS the other day. h/o CLL, WBC 420, Uric Acid about 18, and LDH be like 1200. K+ initially 8.1, but something about the clotting in the tube...my Oncologist recommended I rerun it on plasma only and they redrew and it was 3.9. Anyway good case. Renal function was OK and we didn't end up giving rasbinuicurisenasebease. I only know about that from residency, apparently it's a $10K drug and I probably will never order it unless my Oncologist asks me to.

rasbinuicurisenasebease.

Dude, you made that up.
Admit it.

It's a perfect parody name for these weird-ass biologic drugs.

Reactions: 2 users
rasbinuicurisenasebease.

Dude, you made that up.
Admit it.

It's a perfect parody name for these weird-ass biologic drugs.
Lol, not sure if you’re joking or not, but he’s referring to rasburicase which is one of those classic learn for the boards and forget medication because you will probably never use it in reality.

Lol, not sure if you’re joking or not, but he’s referring to rasburicase which is one of those classic learn for the boards and forget medication because you will probably never use it in reality.

Not when I took the boards, amigo.
Guess I'm old now.

RazzberryBeretAceOfBase.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Well ****, been bitching all week about all the drug addicts and overdoses. What comes in right when I get here? A polysubstance abuse, intubated. I hate people.

Well ****, been bitching all week about all the drug addicts and overdoses. What comes in right when I get here? A polysubstance abuse, intubated. I hate people.
I’m sure they’re super pleasant when extubated lol. What percent of them walk out AMA shortly after being extubated, I wonder…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

I really wonder if these pts would do just fine with a 1:1 nurse. I'm not saying they are always available.....but I had a 20 yo drunk girl who literally had a GCS of 3. She was only breathing and that's it. I couldn't get a single reflex out of her. I stuck a qTIP into the back of her nose and touched her brain and she didn't wince.

I told mom, I gotta do what I gotta do, and she said fine. Literally 2 hours later she was trying to pull the tube.

I really wonder if these pts would do just fine with a 1:1 nurse. I'm not saying they are always available.....but I had a 20 yo drunk girl who literally had a GCS of 3. She was only breathing and that's it. I couldn't get a single reflex out of her. I stuck a qTIP into the back of her nose and touched her brain and she didn't wince.

I told mom, I gotta do what I gotta do, and she said fine. Literally 2 hours later she was trying to pull the tube.

Prob more than we think. Prob is everyone is understaffed, easier to say f it, tube em and admit to the unit. I get it, it just blows.

Prob more than we think. Prob is everyone is understaffed, easier to say f it, tube em and admit to the unit. I get it, it just blows.
Yea man it totally does
especially if You can't get them to the unit in a timely fashion. Then you are giving gobs of propofol or whatever else, their pressure becomes 90/60, and it's just a bullshiiiiit game.

I sit on these patients all the time, it’s rare that they don’t start showing signs of life after 3-4 hours. Saves an ICU bed.

I sit on these patients all the time, it’s rare that they don’t start showing signs of life after 3-4 hours. Saves an ICU bed.

Yea for these clear cut OD cases with no other red flags, I might just do this in the future. The RN has to be 1:1 (in California at least) for critically ill patients whether they are tubed or not tubed.

I just admitted a TLS the other day. h/o CLL, WBC 420, Uric Acid about 18, and LDH be like 1200. K+ initially 8.1, but something about the clotting in the tube...my Oncologist recommended I rerun it on plasma only and they redrew and it was 3.9. Anyway good case. Renal function was OK and we didn't end up giving rasbinuicurisenasebease. I only know about that from residency, apparently it's a $10K drug and I probably will never order it unless my Oncologist asks me to.
Do you know how they ended up doing? I thought that the whole thing with rasburicase was to give it to prevent AKI in the setting of hyperuricemia/TLS.

Do you know how they ended up doing? I thought that the whole thing with rasburicase was to give it to prevent AKI in the setting of hyperuricemia/TLS.

I have no clue. I involved Oncology early and they continued to consult. If I saved the patient to my list, I'll find out.

I'm not gonna lie--if I had a pt w/ hyperkalemia w/ a super high wbc my first thought would be spurious hyperK rather than TLS...
Ya, it's called pseudohyperkalemia, you can see it in CLL where the cells are fragile and in the act of drawing blood you lyse them. My first time seeing it was on a newly diagnosed CLL where the K was >10 and he relatively fine with no EKG changes.

Ya, it's called pseudohyperkalemia, you can see it in CLL where the cells are fragile and in the act of drawing blood you lyse them. My first time seeing it was on a newly diagnosed CLL where the K was >10 and he relatively fine with no EKG changes.
You can see it in ALL as well. My single experience it wasn't the lab draws that was lysing the RBC but the tubing to the lab and spinning them. Kid had a K of 12 with a normal EKG and the istat showed K of 3. For 3 days we had to run an istat everytime we sent lytes to the lab to keep everyone from freaking out.

You can see it in ALL as well. My single experience it wasn't the lab draws that was lysing the RBC but the tubing to the lab and spinning them. Kid had a K of 12 with a normal EKG and the istat showed K of 3. For 3 days we had to run an istat everytime we sent lytes to the lab to keep everyone from freaking out.

That sucks. Our techs were trained to catch those and request redraws in alternate tubes before releasing the result (and call the doc to let them know)

It was very strange, our lab claimed they couldn't run a whole blood potassium - ie without spinning the tube.

on a large analyzer that’s probably true. It’s mostly the point of care analyzers that do actual unprocessed whole blood. most of these that we saw were from CLL type patients and collecting paired serum and plasma tubes was sufficient to sort it out.

on a large analyzer that’s probably true. It’s mostly the point of care analyzers that do actual unprocessed whole blood. most of these that we saw were from CLL type patients and collecting paired serum and plasma tubes was sufficient to sort it out.
I’ve seen the same thing after giving intralipid, only POC labs are accurate.

36 yo F history TBI, mental illness and hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (formerly Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome) with chronic severe anemia from GI and pulmonary AVMs. Took care of her during an ICU rotation during my second year, eventually had to transfer her because IR wouldn't touch her AVMs.

Saw her again a year or so later, brought in by EMS with hematemesis. Pale as a ghost, HR 110, BP normal, awake and alert with her baseline bizarre affect. Blood looked like thin cherry Kool-Aid. Lab calls me and says the hemoglobin came back at 1.3, that this was incompatible with life and she would need to repeat the test before she could release the result into the EHR.

Me: "So you want me to take...more blood from this patient?"

Tech: "I can't release the result."

Repeat hemoglobin was 1.2.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
36 yo F history TBI, mental illness and hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (formerly Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome) with chronic severe anemia from GI and pulmonary AVMs. Took care of her during an ICU rotation during my second year, eventually had to transfer her because IR wouldn't touch her AVMs.

Saw her again a year or so later, brought in by EMS with hematemesis. Pale as a ghost, HR 110, BP normal, awake and alert with her baseline bizarre affect. Blood looked like thin cherry Kool-Aid. Lab calls me and says the hemoglobin came back at 1.3, that this was incompatible with life and she would need to repeat the test before she could release the result into the EHR.

Me: "So you want me to take...more blood from this patient?"

Tech: "I can't release the result."

Repeat hemoglobin was 1.2.
You beat my personal record low Hgb of 1.9, which also looked like red Kool-Aid.

You beat my personal record low Hgb of 1.9, which also looked like red Kool-Aid.

My personal record low was 3.0 -flat-.
I was a resident; I'll never forget the case.
Young lady with terrific fibroid uterus who refused hysterectomy again and again.

She looked "fine".
I walked back in the room to discuss results after not believing my own eyes.

Her family (I think it was her mom) was in the room and blurted out: "Tell him about the CHALK!"

She took 2 boxes of crayola-style blackboard chalk out of her purse and sheepishly admitted that she just takes it out from time to time to "smell it".

"Are... are you eating the chalk?" I asked, noting that several sticks were missing, like a pack of cigarettes with a few having already been smoked.

"No... but I thought about it."

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
My personal record is "Doc, we don't have enough cells in the sample to give an accurate Hgb." 34 yo minimally responsive, pale as a ghost, dropped off by friends who mention something about hematemesis and take off. No other hx provided. He's hypotensive, HR of 150, RR of 50. Blood looks like just serum w/ a single drop of food coloring. Abdomen is swollen. His hgb was 2.0 after 4 units of pRBCs. I kept that guy alive for 10 hours, stayed 3 hrs after my shift. Mass transfusion protocol, 20 u pRBCs, 10u Plts, 10u FFP. Blakemore tube. GI won't scope. IR won't touch the pt because he is too unstable and INR is >10. His lactic acid was 45. His pH was 6.7. I waited about 2 hrs before intubating him because I felt that intubation would be an immediate death sentence, as there was no way I could match his minute ventilation on the vent, but he eventually started looking a bit better after about 10u pRBCs, so I figured that was my time to intubate. Put him at a RR of 36 on the vent, with a tidal volume of 800 (he was a small guy), just to try to somewhat match his MV. Initial NG tube placed puts out 2L of blood from his stomach. Blakemore tube then placed, but not much improvement. ICU admitted him. Blood bank eventually ran out of blood to release. The patient died a few hours later.

My personal record is "Doc, we don't have enough cells in the sample to give an accurate Hgb." 34 yo minimally responsive, pale as a ghost, dropped off by friends who mention something about hematemesis and take off. No other hx provided. He's hypotensive, HR of 150, RR of 50. Blood looks like just serum w/ a single drop of food coloring. Abdomen is swollen. His hgb was 2.0 after 4 units of pRBCs. I kept that guy alive for 10 hours, stayed 3 hrs after my shift. Mass transfusion protocol, 20 u pRBCs, 10u Plts, 10u FFP. Blakemore tube. GI won't scope. IR won't touch the pt because he is too unstable and INR is >10. His lactic acid was 45. His pH was 6.7. I waited about 2 hrs before intubating him because I felt that intubation would be an immediate death sentence, as there was no way I could match his minute ventilation on the vent, but he eventually started looking a bit better after about 10u pRBCs, so I figured that was my time to intubate. Put him at a RR of 36 on the vent, with a tidal volume of 800 (he was a small guy), just to try to somewhat match his MV. Initial NG tube placed puts out 2L of blood from his stomach. Blakemore tube then placed, but not much improvement. ICU admitted him. Blood bank eventually ran out of blood to release. The patient died a few hours later.

Whoaa.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a crazy case, and I'm going to take this in a slightly controversial direction. With the labs you're describing and the general clinical course, I don't know if this was "heroic measures" or "waste of resources."

To be clear, I'm not criticizing your care. Sounds like this was entirely by the book and I don't know that I would have done anything different in the moment.

But retrospectively, with a BT in place, no improvement in how the patient is doing, all specialty interventionalists refusing to do anything for definitive management and a coagulopathy with an INR > 10 and a lactate of FORTY FIVE.... I feel like those 20 units of blood (plus whatever was given upstairs) might have been better used elsewhere.

Am I just being a callous jerk here? No offense taken if the consensus is yes.

That's a crazy case, and I'm going to take this in a slightly controversial direction. With the labs you're describing and the general clinical course, I don't know if this was "heroic measures" or "waste of resources."

To be clear, I'm not criticizing your care. Sounds like this was entirely by the book and I don't know that I would have done anything different in the moment.

But retrospectively, with a BT in place, no improvement in how the patient is doing, all specialty interventionalists refusing to do anything for definitive management and a coagulopathy with an INR > 10 and a lactate of FORTY FIVE.... I feel like those 20 units of blood (plus whatever was given upstairs) might have been better used elsewhere.

Am I just being a callous jerk here? No offense taken if the consensus is yes.
That was my thought afterwards, and if we are talking about the greater good, you are probably right, but I would do it again even for a slight chance of saving a 34 year old.

That was my thought afterwards, and if we are talking about the greater good, you are probably right, but I would do it again even for a slight chance of saving a 34 year old.
Did you ever follow up and figure out what the original etiology was? Alcoholic cirrhosis, or other liver pathology? I feel like 34 is pretty young to get full on cirrhosis and esophageal varices. But this may be the ignorant med student in me talking...

I feel like 34 is pretty young to get full on cirrhosis and esophageal varices.
Fair question and 34 is fairly young. In the ICU during residency I pronounced a 23 year old with alcoholic cirrhosis and end stage liver disease after she and family elected for comfort care. She reportedly drank around a handle a day and started drinking at age 13.

I'm speechless.

I'm speechless.
My call to my intensivist buddy was simply: “34 yo GI bleed, sickest patient I have ever seen that is still technically alive, please come help.”

Also, we got a CT abd/pelvis prior to ICU transfer that confirmed cirrhosis w/bleeding esophageal varices. He was bleeding briskly enough that they could see extravasation of contrast on a regular ole CT abd/pelvis venous phase despite a Blakemore in place.

My call to my intensivist buddy was simply: “34 yo GI bleed, sickest patient I have ever seen that is still technically alive, please come help.”

Also, we got a CT abd/pelvis prior to ICU transfer that confirmed cirrhosis w/bleeding esophageal varices. He was bleeding briskly enough that they could see extravasation of contrast on a regular ole CT abd/pelvis venous phase despite a Blakemore in place.
Holy cow man, how much does one have to drink to get to this point?

Holy cow man, how much does one have to drink to get to this point?
Roughly 1+ Liters of hard alcohol daily is where I've seen this. I don't see a ton of drug use in my neck of the woods. Occasional fent ODs. No meth to speak of. TONS of alcoholism though. I also trained somewhere where we saw a LOT of liver patients so the idea of a 30 yr old cirrhotic with varices is unfortunately not surprising.

Another classic case of interventionalists who refuse to do their job. “He’s too unstable to give him the treatment that will stop him from being unstable.”

Another classic case of interventionalists who refuse to do their job. “He’s too unstable to give him the treatment that will stop him from being unstable.”
Dude. That guy is dead. Even if by some miracle the guy doesn’t die (and it would be a miracle), he has stroked out. He is already infarction several organs.

It is a lot easier to just say that patient is too sick to benefit from my xyz procedure than to discuss with consulting doc that we all agree patient’ condition is terminal and any further treatment is unwarranted.

Reactions: 4 users
You can't stop bleeding like that with a scope. Patient won't survive IR procedure. There's nothing to be done for patients like that except have ICU talk about palliation and withdrawal of active treatment after a certain point.

I disagree. I've been part of these kinds of procedures. If they go to gi, you give them a whiff of basically anything and they code. I've had patients just crash after being given a drop of prop. Then they get intubated, lined, tons of pressors, gi scopes and there's too much bleeding to see anything and you can't get source control if you can't find the source.

Then these guys go to icu if IR says no or to IR and you're basically emptying the blood bank for a guy who will officially "die" after a week of wasted resources in ICU. If by chance you happen to get to the point where they miraculously walk out of the hospital, they will go home, drink again, bleed again and the same thing will happen a few weeks later. The long term prognosis is horrible for this self inflicted, irreversible illness. It's better to say no from the beginning.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm inclined to agree with our Cards/GI posters here.

We're all stuck in the same legal boat here, playing a strange game of hot potato.

Roughly 1+ Liters of hard alcohol daily is where I've seen this. I don't see a ton of drug use in my neck of the woods. Occasional fent ODs. No meth to speak of. TONS of alcoholism though. I also trained somewhere where we saw a LOT of liver patients so the idea of a 30 yr old cirrhotic with varices is unfortunately not surprising.
There has to be a huge genetic component too- I’ve also seen many people who drink that much and are 65 before it gives them any trouble … sad when they’re in their 30s +/- small kids at home.
In my neck of the woods our biggest substance abuse issue lately has been fentanyl in the cocaine - true story I had a lady complaining because she was just “doing a couple lines for her Birthday” and “that jerk put heroin in it” 🤦🏻‍♀️

We’ll just have to agree to disagree I guess. If there’s no point of an intervention then there’s no point of sending to ICU and depleting the blood bank. You guys have clearly honed your skills to the point where you can prognosticate based on no history, some vitals and a lactate, I can’t say the same for myself.