Post-bac options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmhawkins711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New here and have done some reading/research on this but am a little confused.

Background:
Completed BA in Theater (2103) from large state school. Before my theater degree I was a bio/pre-med major and completed the following classes:
-Gen Chem (w/ lab)
-Biology
-Stats
-Psych
-Physics (1 semester)
-1 semester OChem (no lab)
-Calc
Overall GPA: 3.48 (A's for most of the above classes)
MCAT: Not taken
SAT/ACT: 2100/33

So my delima is this: my transcript and class history disqualifies me from many Post-Bacc programs but also leaves me under qualified for most SMPs and masters.

I am looking for a formal program with a good reputation that would allow me to retake some of the prereqs (OChem) for review, but the only program I found that allows this is Wash U St Louis...are there any others out there that I have just missed in my research?

I have contemplated going back to finish at my undergrad but absolutely hate the school and the way they treat students.

Let me know if anymore info is needed, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

New here and have done some reading/research on this but am a little confused.

Background:
Completed BA in Theater (2103) from large state school. Before my theater degree I was a bio/pre-med major and completed the following classes:
-Gen Chem (w/ lab)
-Biology
-Stats
-Psych
-Physics (1 semester)
-1 semester OChem (no lab)
-Calc
Overall GPA: 3.48 (A's for most of the above classes)
MCAT: Not taken
SAT/ACT: 2100/33

So my delima is this: my transcript and class history disqualifies me from many Post-Bacc programs but also leaves me under qualified for most SMPs and masters.

I am looking for a formal program with a good reputation that would allow me to retake some of the prereqs (OChem) for review, but the only program I found that allows this is Wash U St Louis...are there any others out there that I have just missed in my research?

I have contemplated going back to finish at my undergrad but absolutely hate the school and the way they treat students.

Let me know if anymore info is needed, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You don't necessarily need to enter into a formal post-bacc program. You could do a DIY in which you take whatever courses you like from any universities or colleges that let you do so. You will need to take those science prerequisite courses with labs, however, since many medical schools require the lab component.
There may be some programs that are not strictly formal. For instance, San Francisco State University has an informal post-bacc program where you can take whatever courses you want, but enrollment into a certain course is not guaranteed. In addition, you could check out the post-bacc program thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/postbaccalaureate-programs.71/

Why don't you just take the classes you need as an audit for a review? Or do your own post-bacc? I'm unclear as to what the issue is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just take the classes you need as an audit for a review? Or do your own post-bacc? I'm unclear as to what the issue is?
I think the OP is trying to get into a reputable post-bac program, but since they have already taken a few of the prerequisites during their undergrad, they are now ineligible to apply to certain formal post-bac programs.

Not really an issue as much as looking for options. I was hoping more for a formal program for the financial aid options as well as the guidance some of them provide through the application process.

The financial aid options are limited at the school I went to for undergrad and the other public school in the area isn't a reputible.

You don't necessarily need to enter into a formal post-bacc program. You could do a DIY in which you take whatever courses you like from any universities or colleges that let you do so. You will need to take those science prerequisite courses with labs, however, since many medical schools require the lab component.
There may be some programs that are not strictly formal. For instance, San Francisco State University has an informal post-bacc program where you can take whatever courses you want, but enrollment into a certain course is not guaranteed. In addition, you could check out the post-bacc program thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/postbaccalaureate-programs.71/
Thank you for your response! As I said in my other response I was hoping for a more formal program for the financial aid possibilities, as well as the guidance through the process of applications. Ideally being able to get into a program with linkages would be great but not likely.

I posted over in the Post bac forum but haven't gotten any responses yet.

My back up plan is to simply go the regular non-traditional route and go back to finish my Bio degree at another institution. But I would also have to retake a couple of courses at my local CC for review before I do that.

Thank you for your response! As I said in my other response I was hoping for a more formal program for the financial aid possibilities, as well as the guidance through the process of applications. Ideally being able to get into a program with linkages would be great but not likely.

I posted over in the Post bac forum but haven't gotten any responses yet.

My back up plan is to simply go the regular non-traditional route and go back to finish my Bio degree at another institution. But I would also have to retake a couple of courses at my local CC for review before I do that.

Whichever option would be affordable/cheapest, and allow you flexibility in choosing your courses would be best for you. You don't need to get a biology degree since you already have a bachelor's, what medical schools care most is that you excel on the science courses. You can do that with or without pursuing a biology degree.