Post-Bac or DIY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adran49

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, after reading up on a few posts, I figured I would ask some questions and get some sage advice from the experts. I have recently decided to pursue an MD instead of a PhD, I was always on the fence about it through my undergraduate career.

I just graduated with a degree in Psychology, GPA-3.9, but I went to 2 schools prior to that one with a GPA of 2.1 and the other with a GPA of 3.27. Overall, my GPA is somewhere around 3.4. At the institution that I graduated from I took bio I&II, chem I&II, and calc I&II. It seems that having taken these courses, I may be ineligible for those career-changer post-bacs. I have applied to NYU's and was told that I may be eligible because I can still get 24 credits out of the program.

Since I only really need Orgo I&II and physics I&II, should I bother with a post-bac or just do it myself at a state school (I'm from NY so it would be a SUNY) or could I even do it at a CC? I'm afraid that if I don't do a post-bac that it will look like I just jump schools like crazy and have commitment issues :p. I also really like the linkage programs that the post-bac provides.

Just some random facts about me, if it helps. I'm 23, I have 3+ years of research experience in 3 different labs (cognitive neuroscience, social psychology, and animal behavior.) I have a poster presentation at an international conference, and am a 2nd author on a paper.

Any and all advice, positive or negative, is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! Kind of in your same boat here, albeit with much less research experience. I was accepted into several of the formal post-bacc programs and opted to do it DIY instead, to save money. I'm in my second semester at UMN, will finish up pre-reqs after Fall 2015 semester, applying in 2016. I have two transcripts from undergrad, a transcript from taking some prerequisites at a community college, a transcript from my main DIY university, and soon-to-be a fourth from a school where I'll be taking Organic and Physics over the summer. The advice I've received is that the number of transcripts won't matter much if I get good grades and demonstrate commitment. With that, I would suggest a DIY over a formal post-bacc for you, to save the money.

However, taking Organic and Physics at a community college might look like you're trying to take the easy way out with those challenging classes, so I would recommend taking at the SUNY instead of CC.

DIY is fine. Just remember that you need to convince Adcoms that you can survive a medical school curriculum.

Hello there, after reading up on a few posts, I figured I would ask some questions and get some sage advice from the experts. I have recently decided to pursue an MD instead of a PhD, I was always on the fence about it through my undergraduate career.

I just graduated with a degree in Psychology, GPA-3.9, but I went to 2 schools prior to that one with a GPA of 2.1 and the other with a GPA of 3.27. Overall, my GPA is somewhere around 3.4. At the institution that I graduated from I took bio I&II, chem I&II, and calc I&II. It seems that having taken these courses, I may be ineligible for those career-changer post-bacs. I have applied to NYU's and was told that I may be eligible because I can still get 24 credits out of the program.

Since I only really need Orgo I&II and physics I&II, should I bother with a post-bac or just do it myself at a state school (I'm from NY so it would be a SUNY) or could I even do it at a CC? I'm afraid that if I don't do a post-bac that it will look like I just jump schools like crazy and have commitment issues :p. I also really like the linkage programs that the post-bac provides.

Just some random facts about me, if it helps. I'm 23, I have 3+ years of research experience in 3 different labs (cognitive neuroscience, social psychology, and animal behavior.) I have a poster presentation at an international conference, and am a 2nd author on a paper.

Any and all advice, positive or negative, is appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all so much for your advice! It really has soothed my mind and I decided that I will be doing a DIY at a local state school to save money and get those courses done. I just have a few more questions though.

There seems to be a decent amount of people finishing up prereqs after obtaining a bachelors. Do these types of students do well in the admissions process? Are they more or less competitive than those who have been pre-med since day 1? I feel as if I am in the minority and have missed my shot at medical school, am I just being pessimistic or will it be harder for me from now on?

Hi there! Kind of in your same boat here, albeit with much less research experience. I was accepted into several of the formal post-bacc programs and opted to do it DIY instead, to save money. I'm in my second semester at UMN, will finish up pre-reqs after Fall 2015 semester, applying in 2016. I have two transcripts from undergrad, a transcript from taking some prerequisites at a community college, a transcript from my main DIY university, and soon-to-be a fourth from a school where I'll be taking Organic and Physics over the summer. The advice I've received is that the number of transcripts won't matter much if I get good grades and demonstrate commitment. With that, I would suggest a DIY over a formal post-bacc for you, to save the money.

However, taking Organic and Physics at a community college might look like you're trying to take the easy way out with those challenging classes, so I would recommend taking at the SUNY instead of CC.

You're taking Orgo 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 over a summer? That seems really intense, I was thinking about possibly doing that as well but I don't want that to affect my grades. Kudos to you for working so hard, good luck with everything!

Thank you all so much for your advice! It really has soothed my mind and I decided that I will be doing a DIY at a local state school to save money and get those courses done. I just have a few more questions though.

There seems to be a decent amount of people finishing up prereqs after obtaining a bachelors. Do these types of students do well in the admissions process? Are they more or less competitive than those who have been pre-med since day 1? I feel as if I am in the minority and have missed my shot at medical school, am I just being pessimistic or will it be harder for me from now on?

You're taking Orgo 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 over a summer? That seems really intense, I was thinking about possibly doing that as well but I don't want that to affect my grades. Kudos to you for working so hard, good luck with everything!

Physic 1 is not a prerequisite for Physic 2? I noticed many people in this forum are able to take most of these pre-med courses simultaneously without having to meet the prerequisite, so I'm curious is there some sort of loophole or this is just different state rules.

In CA we can't take gen. bio/chem/phys/Orgo II without passing Gen. bio/chem/phys/Orgo I

Physic 1 is not a prerequisite for Physic 2? I noticed many people in this forum are able to take most of these pre-med courses simultaneously without having to meet the prerequisite, so I'm curious is there some sort of loophole or this is just different state rules.

In CA we can't take gen. bio/chem/phys/Orgo II without passing Gen. bio/chem/phys/Orgo I

It's the same here, you need to have the I completed before you can do the II. We were discussing taking orgo I and physics I in the first summer session and orgo II and physics II in the second summer session. Therefore completing the prerequisites to the II in the first summer session.

Just do well on the classes you're taking right now. Most Post-bacc's are for when you took your pre-req's and didn't do well. If you keep acing your pre-reqs (especially O-chem), then you should be fine. Don't rush them, you have to do good in them. I'd wait until you apply and don't get in to do the post-bacc.

Make sure you've done enough shadowing with physicians to justify your interest in clinical medicine. And make sure you're still doing some volunteer stuff.

Take the MCAT seriously and set aside enough time to do lots of practice Q's so you can get a good score.

Finally, open up a line of communication now with your local med school's admissions department. See if they do file reviews and can point out some deficiencies in your application. This is the time to do this as most schools are finished with interview season. Best of luck to you.

Just do well on the classes you're taking right now. Most Post-bacc's are for when you took your pre-req's and didn't do well. If you keep acing your pre-reqs (especially O-chem), then you should be fine. Don't rush them, you have to do good in them. I'd wait until you apply and don't get in to do the post-bacc.

Make sure you've done enough shadowing with physicians to justify your interest in clinical medicine. And make sure you're still doing some volunteer stuff.

Take the MCAT seriously and set aside enough time to do lots of practice Q's so you can get a good score.

Finally, open up a line of communication now with your local med school's admissions department. See if they do file reviews and can point out some deficiencies in your application. This is the time to do this as most schools are finished with interview season. Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much for the advice, I definitely will contact my local med school and see if they can give me some pointers.
I really have to do well in the rest of these pre-reqs and ace the MCAT in order to have a chance.

If I could just ask one more question, I would really appreciate some feedback. I would like to know if I would even be competitive as an MD/DO applicant after completing this process. Here's a little bit about me.

23 year old white male from NY.

BA in Psychology

AMCAS cGPA- 3.44 (before post-bac), 3.51 (After DIY post-bac factoring A's for orgo1/2 and physics 1/2)

AMCAS sGPA- 3.18, 3.46

AACOMAS cGPA- 3.63, 3.67

AACOMAS sGPA- 3.75, 3.88

My GPA has a weird trend but definitely going up.
1st year at CC- 3.27 (computer science)
2nd year at OOS state school- 2.1 (computer science)
3rd year at final school- 3.91 (psychology)
4th year at final school- 3.89 (this is also where I took bios and chems) (psychology)
Post-bac- 4.0 hopefully

Research experience-
3 years in cognitive neuroscience lab. 1 paper- 2nd author. 1 poster at international conference- 2nd author. 4 manuscripts in the process- 2nd author
2 years in social/clinical psychology lab.
6 months in animal behavior lab.

No volunteering or shadowing yet. Although I have attended quite a few grand rounds and will be observing autopsies and brain dissections this summer.

I worked as a pharmacy technician through my 3rd and 4th year as well as working in 3 labs. I will be working through the post-bac.

I know that the MCAT is a huge factor so I will be studying my *** off and I'll probably drop the money for a formal MCAT tutor.

I know this may not have been the right section to put this information but any feedback would be appreciated. I would hate to spend the next 2 years of my life working toward a goal that I definitely could not get. Thank you again, you have all been so helpful and I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Your gpa trend is heading in the right direction. Keep up the effort, do good on the MCAT, follow my advice and apply broadly. You will have a better shot at DO schools but you wont be completely shut out of the MD schools. Try to set up some networking with some realistic schools you'd want to go to and that will help a lot. If you don't get any luck this round, try the formal post-bacc. I know a guy that applied 4 times. If you want it bad enough and are determined to put in the work, you'll get in.

CCEMTP, thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I will definitely try to ace these courses and do well on the MCAT. I never thought to contact medical schools around me to do reviews of my application but I will definitely contact them and see what they have to say. Med school is what I want so it is nice to know that I have a shot after I do a little more legwork. Thanks again, it is much appreciated!