post bac/SMP or just more undergrad classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregwaymer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last spring and have been trying to dig myself out of my GPA hole since. I graduated with a 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 sgpa, but have taken 4 classes at home (3.85 gpa in them, but all lower level science classes) and my cgpa is now 3.3 and sgpa is 3.1. If i take 2-3 more classes this spring (upper level this time) and get more A's I can get the cgpa up to 3.4 and sgpa to 3.2.

Would it be worth the time taking more classes this spring at a much cheaper price (about 20k) than a post bac or SMP, or is it just a waste of time because I'll still be such an underdog GPA-wise?

I do not have an mcat score yet (taking the test 3 weeks from today) so it's hard to judge. However, if I were to take the undergrad classes this spring I would need to register asap.

Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are sure you can get a 3,7 - 4.0 in a highly regarded with SMP, you will probably increase your chance better than undergrad. If you get anything significantly less, you will prove what MD Adcoms might think of candidates of low performance: they will not succeed in medical school.

I know a student got into Tulane with a 3.0 GPA, but he or she probably had a very high MCAT (x > 39) in conjunction with a very nice EC's that stood out.

Your best bet is increase your MCAT and attend a respected SMP/Post Bacc. I think it's too late to consider extensive GPA repair.

Did you already get a science degree? If not, maybe apost-bacc could help you obtain one, while increasing the GPA.

I was in a GPA hole too and did a postbacc. Retaking and focusing on basic science has helped me understand systemic physiology, and made me more comfortable with the incredibly smart pre-meds who I want to attend med school with - not to mention allowed me many opportunites I otherwise had not considered.

I dont know about SMPs, but a post bacc really is not a waste of time - even if your GPA only comes up half a point (see my MD apps) SMPs are good for academic enrichment and science and life exposure as well, from what I see about them.

I received a biochemistry degree and have good ECs as I have spent 700+ hours as a medical scribe plus have other shadowing experiences. Also played a varsity sport at school.

Doing a post bac is probably the best move for me. I did not do well on my upper division science classes, so the post bac would be a good way to prove that I can succeed at them now. I was just hoping that if I were to perform enough with a couple regular undergrad upper level classes this spring it would show that I have academically matured. I suppose that that would not be a big enough sample size for the Adcoms, right? I am looking mostly at DO schools right now and would ballpark my MCAT around a 30 based on my practice tests