Should I do a masters or just focus on taking more post bacc classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldentaleli

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a very general question. If I got my cGPA up from a 2.47 to a 3.0+ just from post-bacc classes (aka I graduated with a 2.47 and have been taking classes since), do I have a chance of getting into med school without doing a masters, given that my MCAT and ECs are sufficient. Or should I put my focus into starting a masters program/SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your MCAT score ? Where is your state of residence ? How many hours in your post-bacc ? Is your sGPa also above 3.0 ?

What is your MCAT score ? Where is your state of residence ? How many hours in your post-bacc ? Is your sGPa also above 3.0 ?

Hi, thank you for your response. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I plan on taking it within the next couple months. So far, I have over 60 hours in my post bacc since I graduated in 2022. I was doing dual enrollment at multiple institutions so I’ve been talking large course loads every semester. I live in Illinois but will most likely be relocating to Michigan next semester so I’m hoping to continue my academic journey there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you for your response. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I plan on taking it within the next couple months. So far, I have over 60 hours in my post bacc since I graduated in 2022. I was doing dual enrollment at multiple institutions so I’ve been talking large course loads every semester. I live in Illinois but will most likely be relocating to Michigan next semester so I’m hoping to continue my academic journey there.

I also want to note that my GPA is not at 3.0 yet but it will be after I take another semester of classes. However, since all of the classes I’ve taken are science courses, my sGPA is above 3.0 already. The reason for my post is that I’m trying to figure out if I should just continue taking classes until I apply next cycle or if my time would be better spent doing a masters, starting in January.

I also want to note that my GPA is not at 3.0 yet but it will be after I take another semester of classes. However, since all of the classes I’ve taken are science courses, my sGPA is above 3.0 already. The reason for my post is that I’m trying to figure out if I should just continue taking classes until I apply next cycle or if my time would be better spent doing a masters, starting in January.
A masters will not help you for MD schools. Concentrate on increasing your sGPA to 3.0 .

A masters will not help you for MD schools. Concentrate on increasing your sGPA to 3.0 .

Oh okay so an SMP would not help? wouldn’t a 3.0 gpa be too low for MD and DO without the SMP or will they consider all of the post bacc courses?

Oh okay so an SMP would not help? wouldn’t a 3.0 gpa be too low for MD and DO without the SMP or will they consider all of the post bacc courses?
A SMP will help if your GPA in the SMP is above. 3.5 . Continue taking the courses you have already planned for another semester that will increase your cGPA to 3.0 .

A SMP will help if your GPA in the SMP is above. 3.5 . Continue taking the courses you have already planned for another semester that will increase your cGPA to 3.0 .
Okay thank you! I made a more detailed post with my potential school list, etc. if you would like to see it.