Post-bac vs. SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becool5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Like a lot of people, I am torn between doing a post-bac program vs. SMP. My gpa is around 3.25 so I am leaning torwards a post-bac program since I will be taking undergrad courses that should boost my GPA. I believe it is true that I will have a seperate undergrad GPA and a post-bac GPA on AMCAS, but that one combined GPA will be shown as well?

Since most med schools have a GPA cut-off, wouldn't it be a disadvantage to do a Master's program? I mean even if you do well with the grad classes, you would still have a low GPA from undergrad? I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Also, is it possible to get Fincial Aid (loans) if you are taking classes part time?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the MCAT? Your score on the MCAT should be an important factor in this decision. I don't see how any advice could be given without giving that information.

becool5 said:
Hello All,
Like a lot of people, I am torn between doing a post-bac program vs. SMP. My gpa is around 3.25 so I am leaning torwards a post-bac program since I will be taking undergrad courses that should boost my GPA. I believe it is true that I will have a seperate undergrad GPA and a post-bac GPA on AMCAS, but that one combined GPA will be shown as well?

Since most med schools have a GPA cut-off, wouldn't it be a disadvantage to do a Master's program? I mean even if you do well with the grad classes, you would still have a low GPA from undergrad? I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Also, is it possible to get Fincial Aid (loans) if you are taking classes part time?

Thanks!

I think it is an incorrect assumption to say that "most" med schools have a GPA cutoff. Certainly the more competative schools that have 7,000+ applicants have some sort of cutoff, but I would not say "most."

What most schools do have is a minimum GPA to apply, which is around 2.75 to 3.0. It is true that boarderline candidates (GPA wise) such as yourself usually go the post bacc route to at least get their GPA into a more competative range (3.5+) for allopathic schools.

If your GPA is still not to the level where you think you would apply and be accepted after the post bacc, I would think SMP would be the next option. You will be taking the same classes that first and second year medical students will be taking and trying to prove you can handle the coursework.

While it is true SMP do not count towards your GPA, they are the very same classes you will take in medical school. Therefore if you do well, it shows you can do well aside from your lackluster past.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 26 on the MCAT's. Whether you call it a GPA cutoff or getting a competitive GPA, I clearly needed to raise my GPA in order to have a pray of getting accepted. I am leanin more towards to the post-bac options.

becool5 said:
I got a 26 on the MCAT's. Whether you call it a GPA cutoff or getting a competitive GPA, I clearly needed to raise my GPA in order to have a pray of getting accepted. I am leanin more towards to the post-bac options.

I think a lot depends on how many credits you have already accumulated and realistically, how many classes you need to get A's in to raise that GPA significantly.

For example if you were an undergraduate science major with a ton of science credits already accumulated, you have to ask yourself, even if I take several additional upper level science classes, how much will that increase my GPA assuming I earn all A's?

If you have to take 2 years worth of classes and get all A's and you're only talking about raising by a few hundrandths of a point, you might be better well off doing an SMP.

becool5 said:

You would make it into multiple D.O. schools.

If that is not an option for you then..Most schools wouldn't screen you out just because your GPA is 3.25. There will be one or two that do and they are usually pretty strict about numbers. Seems like your doing everything right with raising your GPA and unless you have some amazing experience and EC's or belong to race/ethnicity that is typically not well represented in medical school i'd plan on taking the MCAT again.

I know that the Drexel and Georgetown SMP's have MCAT cutoffs of 27 and 28 respectively. I think Boston U SMP is flexible but not sure. I don't know about others.

Airzonk said:
You would make it into multiple D.O. schools.

If that is not an option for you then..Most schools wouldn't screen you out just because your GPA is 3.25. There will be one or two that do and they are usually pretty strict about numbers. Seems like your doing everything right with raising your GPA and unless you have some amazing experience and EC's or belong to race/ethnicity that is typically not well represented in medical school i'd plan on taking the MCAT again.

I know that the Drexel and Georgetown SMP's have MCAT cutoffs of 27 and 28 respectively. I think Boston U SMP is flexible but not sure. I don't know about others.

GU SMP's MCAT cutoff is 27 and someone with a 26 just got into BU MAMS. Drexel IMS is also 27.

Thank you.

the alchemist said:
GU SMP's MCAT cutoff is 27 and someone with a 26 just got into BU MAMS. Drexel IMS is also 27.

with a 26 i would definitely be worrying about boosting my MCAT score as well as your GPA if youre shooting for an allopathic school