Post-bacc: Online courses or community college courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwanttopulloutteeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Because these are basic science/physics classes, I would recommend taking them at a university. Like you said, many dental schools are pretty picky about the core required curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't even know if Tufts will grant acceptance w/ prereqs done at cc..."Community college coursework is not accepted for the prerequisite coursework."

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even know if Tufts will grant acceptance w/ prereqs done at cc..."Community college coursework is not accepted for the prerequisite coursework."

Even if it's classes like English?
Most students I know did these during the summer at a CC or already did them from dual credit classes in HS

Find out which schools will not accept CC credits (Tufts, maybe a couple others?) and decide if you would want a shot at those schools.

I find Tufts' denial of CC credit to be really elitist; I wouldn't apply there even if I didn't have any CC prereqs. I mean come on, Harvard will accept CC prereqs, but Tufts won't? Of course, all schools would prefer that prereqs be taken at a university, and I'd prefer to be a millionaire, but we can only do what we can do. If you can afford it, do the prereqs at the uni (can't you take gen chem II in the spring when you take physics II?).

I've heard that dental schools don't like to see online courses, but idk much about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Most students I know did these during the summer at a CC or already did them from dual credit classes in HS

• 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Biology
  • 1 semester ( 3 credits or 1 quarter) Upper level Biology
  • 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Inorganic Chemistry
  • 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Physics
  • 1 semester (4 credits or 2 quarters) Organic Chemistry
  • 1 semester (3 credits or 1 quarter) Biochemistry
  • 1 semester writing-intensive Humanities or Social Science course (may include History, English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Government or Women’s Studies)

Most schools do say they will accept AP credits for English only. Most schools also say they will accept SOME CC credits but also qualify that with saying that the prefer bio/chem be taken at a 4 year school or that upper level classes be taken at a 4 year school before they will accept those CC credits. For example, NYU "officially" accepts CC credits, but if you read the fine print, they "prefer pre-reqs at a 4 year school".

I would take the classes at the local 4 year school. Look at the spring catalog from last year and see if they have Chem II then. Depending on how big the school is, it's not unusual to not have Chem II, or the second semester of any class in the spring only.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ement-and-ds-admission.1138556/#post-16508909

I'm a big advocate of taking courses at CC since I have had only positive experiences with getting into D-school after having 60 plus CC credits. However, taking ALL of your pre-prereqs and any upper level science courses at CC may be lower your chances of an acceptance unless you ace all of your classes.

Your best bet is to take the classes at the local 4-year. I'm not sure how long you were planning to spend in post-bac, but you since it was probably too late to apply for one by time you posted this, the quickest way for a new year may be for you to take 1/2Gen chem over the next summer and 1/2 Organic chem in the fall with your 1/2Gen bio 1/2Gen physics your first year, and take the DAT over the summer. If you actually start in the fall, take all your Gen classes in your first year and 1/2 Organic chem over the summer while studying for your DAT, and take the DAT at the end of the summer. If you did well enough on the DAT, apply too.

Your second option would be to find out the official name of the courses or find a way to ask if they're designated as online on your transcripts at the online program. I know that most online classes at schools do not designate whether the class was online or not; however, a post-bac program designed to be online may.

Almost all the schools I have looked at want the classes to be taken at a 4 year acreddited University or College. 2 year colleges are no go

Most schools do say they will accept AP credits for English only. Most schools also say they will accept SOME CC credits but also qualify that with saying that the prefer bio/chem be taken at a 4 year school or that upper level classes be taken at a 4 year school before they will accept those CC credits. For example, NYU "officially" accepts CC credits, but if you read the fine print, they "prefer pre-reqs at a 4 year school".

I would take the classes at the local 4 year school. Look at the spring catalog from last year and see if they have Chem II then. Depending on how big the school is, it's not unusual to not have Chem II, or the second semester of any class in the spring only.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ement-and-ds-admission.1138556/#post-16508909

I see. Well, I took all my science classes at a 4yr school. I just did my english, history, and gov at a CC during the summers so I could graduate on time lol

To avoid creating a separate thread, it looks like I'll be doing the following this Fall semester:

-Physics I + lab at my local university
-Chemistry II + lab at my local community college

Sadly, the only other way to do chemistry II this semester from a university would be the online route and I would have to pay in full within the next couple weeks. Which would be challenging if not impossible since I'm just getting job offers now. Organic chemistry doesn't appear to be offered at my CC so hopefully by taking the sequence at a university, it will balance out my CC gen chem credits. I'll still try applying to schools like Tufts since I'm sticking to the East Coast and hopefully the worst case scenario is that they will give me the opportunity to retake the gen chem CC credits at a university.