Post bacc or dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairyb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into a formal post bacc program that starts spring 2024 and I need to accept/deny my offer bey Dec. 22. I applied as an academic enhancer because my undergraduate sGPA is a 2.88 and cGPA is a 3.04. I personally don't think my GPA is competitive enough for even a strong DAT score to compensate, but the dentist I shadow has told me he thinks I should just apply to dental school anyways. Now I'm not sure what to do because if I deny my post bacc offer, what if I don't get into any dental schools because of my GPA. I know I can always apply again, but not really sure how to weigh out my options here and it has been stressing me out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a linkage? How much does it cost? Does DAT prep come with the curriculum?
If I do well in the program I get a committee letter + interview to UCSF Dental school but that’s it. The program is $600 a unit so it’s looking like >$5,000 a semester plus rent (around $1,000 a month to live in the city with roommates) and the program is ~15 months. It does not come with DAT prep and no pre-dental colloquium. I also have already taken 150 units during my undergrad so going into the program as an academic enhancer, I don’t know how much it will actually benefit my gpa. When I talked to an advisor at the school, they told me that every pre-dental student they’ve had in their program has gotten accepted by their preferred school

Reactions: 1 user
If I do well in the program I get a committee letter + interview to UCSF Dental school but that’s it. The program is $600 a unit so it’s looking like >$5,000 a semester plus rent (around $1,000 a month to live in the city with roommates) and the program is ~15 months. It does not come with DAT prep and no pre-dental colloquium. I also have already taken 150 units during my undergrad so going into the program as an academic enhancer, I don’t know how much it will actually benefit my gpa. When I talked to an advisor at the school, they told me that every pre-dental student they’ve had in their program has gotten accepted by their preferred school
Make a 3.8+ there and score 21+ on the DAT and you'll get in.