Post bacc to optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

army0341

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off excuse my ignorance.

I am in a postbacc program which fits the admissions requirements for optometry school. Do you think optometry schools would look adversely on a post bacc as opposed to pre-optometry program since I am a non-science major?

I am not 100% which route I plan to take and am just researching all my options.

Thank You In Advance

Members don't see this ad.

I was an Anthropology major in UG. I did the post-bac route and didn't have any trouble getting in.

Just make sure you work hard in your pre-reqs to make up for not having the full science background. It shows you can handle the workload.

And I can't emphasize enough how important I believe it is to shadow as much as possible. It not only shows the Admissions Committee that you are serious but it also ensures you are going into a career that you want to spend the rest of your life working in. This is especially important since you aren't 100% sure. Check out everything you are interested in, shadow everywhere and ask lots of questions.

Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the path I took :)