Post-Bacc vs Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KumquatWrath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today I went to a health school fair to talk to some advisors from dental schools about my current predicament (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/reapplying-this-cycle-or-waiting-a-year.1063633/) and UoP, WesternU, and UCSF all recommended that I do some sort of post-bacc/masters program to bump up my GPA since it's on the low side (3.3). I've never considered this before until today (and don't know much about the differences between the two either), so could you guys give me opinions/knowledge on what you know?

The advisor from UCSF recommended a masters degree over a post-bacc because my GPA is high enough to qualify, but beyond that I don't know anything else. I started looking into some programs as well (UCSF's dental post-bacc program and WesternU's MSMS program) and will probably shoot for those, but don't know of anything else. Are there any programs you guys have done with success and recommend? The other thing is that these programs seem to prefer URM and I don't fall into that category, so I don't know how good my chances will be.

Thanks so much for the help! I've hit a low in trying to figure out how to plan things and it's starting to put pressure on me :( I'm in California also, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats wrong with your GPA anyways? 3.3 and a good DAT and you could have a shot.

But to your question, either one will be fine.

They said that my GPA is a bit low on the competitive side and it would be best to work on improving that. My DAT scores are in the mentioned thread and I guess it's that I applied to 17ish schools this cycle and only got 2 interviews. I would reapply this cycle but I don't have anything new to add to my application since I'm finishing up undergrad this quarter and don't want to be in the same situation and down another $2000. I guess I could considering swapping out certain schools that I applied to, but I don't know how much more of a chance that would give me.

What are some schools that have "lower" requirements and are also OoS-friendly (~3.3 GPA and 22 AA, lowest was 19 RC)?

Members don't see this ad :)
dude 3.3 and a 22AA is good. I would just work on a bunch of ECs.

I know in this sticky thread there is a list of OOS friendly schools. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...at-are-my-chances-read-if-this-is-you.635046/

You have really good DAT scores too which can balance out your GPA so if you're worried about throwing your money away in applications you may want to rethink a masters program which could cost more than $2000. Have you contacted the schools you've been rejected from to see why they did it? That way you know what you could improve on specifically in your application. I think no matter what you do I've heard repeatedly that it is always good to keep shadowing up to show that you've retained an interest in dentistry. So I second the emphasis on ECs. And timing is always important. When did you apply? I know applying early can make a huge difference, especially since more students are doing that now.

I'm definitely going to call at least some schools tomorrow to find out. Is it bad to apply early and put down something I'm planning to do? For example if I've secured a volunteer position but haven't really started but I want to get apps in early. That's something I'm lacking on so I for sure want to get that in, and maybe find something dental-related as well. I'm hoping to get a job if not more school too, as that way I'll be able to make some sort of money. I also submitted my apps mid-August last cycle, so if I did end up reapplying this time, it would definitely be within two weeks of AADSAS opening.

Thanks for the link too, I'll definitely check it out!

I had talked to an admission's officer about doing this and I think as long as it is in the near future and you are definitely doing it so you could talk about it during the interview its something you could do. But if you aren't certain you can follow up with your promise don't put it on your application obviously. I can really say more on the subject because I don't have much experience in this area yet but hopefully someone else who has been through this will add their opinion soon. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user