Post Bacc's versus Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a predental student in my final year with a 2.7 cum gpa with only a semes left to graduate.In my case i was wondering which would be better to pursue after graduation? a post bacc or masters of science in biology considering i've already accumulated about 130 credits in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to hijack, also wondering the same thing and if a masters AND a postbacc would help in the same situation for med...rather would it be advisable to do a master and then a postbacc etc.

good question. i asked my advisor this because it is a tough decision. Postbaccs are likely more expensive, more redundant since you'll be taking the same courses over. What fun is that? A masters could go just as well on your application but you will also gain research experience and perhaps get your name on a publication. You're learning new things, possibly health related and you can still show your dedication through getting good grades. With a postbacc you still might not get a medschool acceptance (unless linkage) and then be out the money and time while with a masters you can continue in your career in health/science. I've made the decision NOT to do a postbacc but that's just me. If you're absolutely sure that you could never be happy without an MD than try to get into a postbacc that sponsors you.

Also there are Special Masters Programs which gear you towards medical school but you still obtain a MS. One example is the new cincinatti MS in physiology. 20 grand but you get a ms in physiology in only 1 year! quite nice i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question is very case-by-case and depends highly on what your goals are, how much territory you need to span in your GPA, how much biology coursework you've already completed in UG, etc. Based on what I've heard from adcoms, advisors, and SDN folks, it sounds like specialized Master's programs like Georgetown and MAMS programs are the way to go. It is the quintessential 'the proof is in the pudding' type of evidence, since you're taking courses with med students. I've been told by about half of the schools that my master's from a reputable medical school is "useless". More specifically, that it does not address my poor UG gpa.

Here's a thread on this issue, with good feedback from a few folks:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281113

Most post-baccs are for people who have not taken their science pre-reqs for medical/dental school yet. The good thing about post-baccs is that they can raise your undergraduate GPA, the bad thing is that most of them do not confer an actual degree. If you are interested in a post-bacc, check out Drexel University, they have two programs (MSP and IMS) for people who have already completed their undergraduate science requirements and are looking for a program to boost their credentials.

Special Master's Programs will not boost your undergraduate GPA, but you will get an MS or an MA in less than a year and you will take graduate level science courses and sometimes even medical school classes. If your MCAT or DAT is high, and your undergraduate GPA is above 3.0, a Masters might be the way to go.

rob14599 said:
Most post-baccs are for people who have not taken their science pre-reqs for medical/dental school yet.

There are a decent amount of 1 year, Graduate-level post-bac programs out there for kids who have taken the sciences and want to take advanced courses(VCU, UVA and I think drexel to name a few). Most of these can be turned readily into a masters w/ a year more of research. The advantage is that you dont have to waste a year of your life if you get in the first year but you can fall back on a masters if you need to.

Plus, in most fields of science, an MS is worthless.

from what i've read in the past threads, people can address their low gpa in two ways.

1. postbacc for ug credit (non-degree non-certificate programs) - these programs are usually recommended to borderline students to raise their gpa to become more competitive and hit certain "cutoffs" because they count towards the ug gpa on the amcas.

2. special masters program - these programs are best for students who have too many ug credits (ie double majors) and/or students with very low gpas. the theory here is, even raising your gpa by 0.05 will not really help your application so the best thing to do to show med schools that you can handle the courseload is to actually take medical school classes with med students and do well.

a regular masters program (MS or MA), even from a reputable university, does very little, if anything, to get you into med school.

IN ANY CASE, IF YOU ARE SENIOR IN COLLEGE AND STILL AREN'T GETTING A'S IN YOUR COURSES, THEN NO PROGRAM WILL GET YOU IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. YOU MUST ADDRESS THE PROBLEM THAT IS KEEPING YOU FROM ACING YOUR CLASSES BEFORE ENROLLING IN THESE COURSES.

Oh and I disagree that a regular masters program won't get you in. Some hard science MS or MS in biomedical sciences are geared towards the health profession. I have know a few who have gone in that route and succeeded. Its also the only route I have to go and I will be taking. And of course I will succeed ;)

i see, i guess i should've said SOME master's programs are useless. good luck to you. :luck:

naru said:
from what i've read in the past threads, people can address their low gpa in two ways.

1. postbacc for ug credit (non-degree non-certificate programs) - these programs are usually recommended to borderline students to raise their gpa to become more competitive and hit certain "cutoffs" because they count towards the ug gpa on the amcas.

2. special masters program - these programs are best for students who have too many ug credits (ie double majors) and/or students with very low gpas. the theory here is, even raising your gpa by 0.05 will not really help your application so the best thing to do to show med schools that you can handle the courseload is to actually take medical school classes with med students and do well.

a regular masters program (MS or MA), even from a reputable university, does very little, if anything, to get you into med school.

IN ANY CASE, IF YOU ARE SENIOR IN COLLEGE AND STILL AREN'T GETTING A'S IN YOUR COURSES, THEN NO PROGRAM WILL GET YOU IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. YOU MUST ADDRESS THE PROBLEM THAT IS KEEPING YOU FROM ACING YOUR CLASSES BEFORE ENROLLING IN THESE COURSES.

Naru,
I dont know where you get your sources on masters programs being useless to get into med or dental school. my cousin did her masters at UMDNJ and ended up with a 3.9gpa at the end of it, reapplied to med school and now shes in her first year of med school at NJMS

Notoriousjae said:
Naru,
I dont know where you get your sources on masters programs being useless to get into med or dental school. my cousin did her masters at UMDNJ and ended up with a 3.9gpa at the end of it, reapplied to med school and now shes in her first year of med school at NJMS

check out this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281113&highlight=masters

UMDNJ is an exception though. yes, it is a traditional master's program, but it is specifically for students who want to enhance their academic record for med school.

naru said:
check out this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281113&highlight=masters

UMDNJ is an exception though. yes, it is a traditional master's program, but it is specifically for students who want to enhance their academic record for med school.

I would concur with naru on this. Unless it's a specialized master's program (like UMDNJ) it's value is razor thin. I have asked a number of med schools deans/directors about my Masters (Biomedical Informatics) which was done at a medical school that my MA was worth exactly nothing (even the dean of my Master's med school said this, which blew me away). Granted my UG GPA was piss-poor and so it didn't impress most of these guys, but I thought a 3.8+ Masters would prove my academic ability. They didn't interpret it this way. My take is that if you're borderline (as naru says), a Master's or postbacc will become valuable. If you're way off, do a specialized master's that exposes you to med school students and courses - show them with real results that you can hack med school.

JennSong said:

Just a word of advice tho...I asked the director about applying now, and this is what he had to say...

"You can apply but I must tell you that it is unlikely we will be able to get
to your application - we have about 250 applications for 100 openings"

Probably a waste of money applying now

braluk said:
Just a word of advice tho...I asked the director about applying now, and this is what he had to say...

"You can apply but I must tell you that it is unlikely we will be able to get
to your application - we have about 250 applications for 100 openings"

Probably a waste of money applying now

Jenn, what is the course that you applied to?

Btw, folks, I have got an admit for Dental Masters @ UMDNJ. I'm a foreign-trained dentist from India. I want to know if UMDNJ is worth the trouble. Also, their fee seems to be on higher side (20 grand/yr).

Does any know if they offer financial aid/assistanship to foreign-students for MS?

Someone in this thread had mentioned that their cousin had done her MS @ UMDNJ and then moved on to med school. Was it in GSBS?

Also, can anyone throw some light on the faculty & facilities available @ the dental school in UMDNJ.