Post-Doc Notification Feb 17th - What to do if you don't get any calls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumptyPsyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, What would and should one do if one does not get a call on Feb 17th? Does anyone feel that this is like we are going through the internship process again? Granted, getting a post-doc or not, no one can take away our doctorate, I still feel so much anxiety about waiting for the day to come, the morning of, and waiting for that call. Perhaps the whole application through the APPA that makes it feel so much like internship.

Any thoughts, feelings, experience to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going through the APPA CAS process (most of mine are outside of it) but have similar concerns about not finding something. Not sure what that will look like....

Hi all, What would and should one do if one does not get a call on Feb 17th? Does anyone feel that this is like we are going through the internship process again? Granted, getting a post-doc or not, no one can take away our doctorate, I still feel so much anxiety about waiting for the day to come, the morning of, and waiting for that call. Perhaps the whole application through the APPA that makes it feel so much like internship.

Any thoughts, feelings, experience to share?
I hear you. Feeling very stressed and wondering the same thing. Also am wondering if we should ask for reciprocal offers on the 17th or if that's only before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. Feeling very stressed and wondering the same thing. Also am wondering if we should ask for reciprocal offers on the 17th or if that's only before.

I think we can be somewhat proactive about it. We can call and ask them where we stand on their list. My fear is of course that their first few choices also ranked them high and accept their offer. And at the end of the day, I would just be at a stand still, with no offers. Anyway, I wonder if there are many positions that are unfilled on the notification day, and where would they likely be posted, aside from APPA CAS?

Never, ever did I think I would say this: I miss the match. It would be quick, like a band-aid, rather than this chaotic process.

Reactions: 3 users
I think we can be somewhat proactive about it. We can call and ask them where we stand on their list. My fear is of course that their first few choices also ranked them high and accept their offer. And at the end of the day, I would just be at a stand still, with no offers. Anyway, I wonder if there are many positions that are unfilled on the notification day, and where would they likely be posted, aside from APPA CAS?
Relevant listservs are common (e.g., the Division 22 Rehab Psych listserv has a lot of neuro/peds/rehab post-docs posted).

Never, ever did I think I would say this: I miss the match. It would be quick, like a band-aid, rather than this chaotic process.
Someone was saying this is what internship apps used to be like, before the match was implemented. I think it will end up having to happen, or something will have to change. This process is too chaotic, political, and disorganized.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone was saying this is what internship apps used to be like, before the match was implemented. I think it will end up having to happen, or something will have to change. This process is too chaotic, political, and disorganized.
Post docs will be posted across the coming months from sites that did not have guaranteed funding in time to join the institutionalized match. And there are actual jobs. (Really. Actual jobs that do not end in 12 months!) It is chaotic, political and disorganized (as is general professional life)--do not despair..and wait to see what happens on Tuesday.

The difficulty is that the vast majority of internship applicants either will go on internship or wait. If a similar matching process is forced for postdocs, then it will require an either-or, in terms of applicants applying either entirely to APPA CAS programs or entirely to non-APPA CAS programs. Post-docs are so varied (with many interdisciplinary research post-docs) that there is no way that they would all be involved with a structured match.

klbOW.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
The difficulty is that the vast majority of internship applicants either will go on internship or wait. If a similar matching process is forced for postdocs, then it will require an either-or, in terms of applicants applying either entirely to APPA CAS programs or entirely to non-APPA CAS programs. Post-docs are so varied (with many interdisciplinary research post-docs) that there is no way that they would all be involved with a structured match.

Oh, I know that a match wouldn't really work. I honestly can't think of a solution.

And that picture shows exactly what my life has felt like the past few years!

Oh, I know that a match wouldn't really work. I honestly can't think of a solution.

And that picture shows exactly what my life has felt like the past few years!

I know I'll feel like that particularly tomorrow! Anyway, good luck to everyone tomorrow, I hope everyone will be offered a position that they like and can learn a lot from.

Members don't see this ad :)
night before comparison, i preferred internship match. wake up and POOF -> you go here.

this, not so much. slowtorture.

Reactions: 1 users
night before comparison, i preferred internship match. wake up and POOF -> you go here.

this, not so much. slowtorture.

I know, right? Someone told me that it typically all happens very quickly on the 17th, but I could see it dragging out longer if people have 24 hours to hold onto offers. And then that's assuming you get an offer, too.

I didn't know there was a post-doc match. I just found a job and secured supervision to get that last year of training. Fortunaltely, there was one available in the small town where I did my internship and began teaching so it was not too hard.

Night before and I'm reminded of last year's anxiety. I hope it's all over and done with tomorrow, but I can definitely see it dragging out longer if I get at least one offer and it's not at my top choice. I seriously never thought I'd wish for the match again, but here we are. :) I'm trying to tell myself that my chances are good, and that even if I don't get a postdoc tomorrow, I am likely to find one later, or get a job. It's not really helping with the anxiety, though!

Night before and I'm reminded of last year's anxiety. I hope it's all over and done with tomorrow, but I can definitely see it dragging out longer if I get at least one offer and it's not at my top choice. I seriously never thought I'd wish for the match again, but here we are. :) I'm trying to tell myself that my chances are good, and that even if I don't get a postdoc tomorrow, I am likely to find one later, or get a job. It's not really helping with the anxiety, though!

I feel like I don't have great chances, but I'm trying not to catastrophize not getting any offers tomorrow. There are spots that won't fill, and there new positions that will open up! Gotta stay relaxed. I know that things usually work out in the end, even if they don't seem like they will :)

Reactions: 2 users
Some confusion about the APPIC guidelines: do reciprocal offers happen on the 17th as well? Or do those guidelines only apply to offers made before the 17th? For example, if you get an offer from your 2nd choice place tomorrow, can you then contact your 1st choice and let them know?

Some confusion about the APPIC guidelines: do reciprocal offers happen on the 17th as well? Or do those guidelines only apply to offers made before the 17th? For example, if you get an offer from your 2nd choice place tomorrow, can you then contact your 1st choice and let them know?
Yes. You can contact them and let them know you are holding an offer and would prefer their site if they could make an offer. However, the site that made an offer can set a time span for holding an offer (APPIC recommendation is 24 hours but sites may designate a shorter time and often do, e.g., some Kaiser sites give 1 hour) and may withdraw the offer after that deadline. So if you receive a less preferred offer you need to ask for the time frame for an acceptance or declining and then hope you can reach the more preferred site.

I feel similarly, because I know lots of people who got their post-docs later last year. I think I am extra anxious because my two closest fellow interns have already received offers, and I'd really like to be there with them! (However since it's already 10 am...oy.)

Same here, but I know that this process may potentially drag out longer than the one-two hour window. So we might even get offers tomorrow, if applicants on their hold lists drop or release the offers within the 24-hr time period. So let's continue to hope. I always think, at this point, we have done everything we could, and we will figure it out when we don't get any calls/offers by the end of the day.

Ughhh, this waiting is awful. At least the Match you got one email and it was over with. I'm just like glued to my phone.

channeling good thoughts to everyone today! I accepted an offer for a research fellowship in an academic medical setting a few days ago. I know this process is hectic, but also don't forget to notify other sites when you've accepted an offer elsewhere so they can move down their list and others can get notifications more quickly.

Same here, but I know that this process may potentially drag out longer than the one-two hour window. So we might even get offers tomorrow, if applicants on their hold lists drop or release the offers within the 24-hr time period. So let's continue to hope. I always think, at this point, we have done everything we could, and we will figure it out when we don't get any calls/offers by the end of the day.
This is true. And there are so many more opportunities than with internship even if it takes longer. I mean by this time on Match Day I think I had only just stopped crying over my no-match email. :p

I got my first choice post doc! SO EXCITED. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 19 users
@cara susanna Congrats!!! That's really exciting.

On a side note, there is still hope for us who hasn't received any calls. It might still happen.

Thanks! Oh yes, I had already given up and was angsting in my supervisor's office when I got the call. :)

I got my first choice post doc! SO EXCITED. Best of luck to the rest of you!

I am so happy for you! After not getting your top choice internship, you really deserve it. I hope to get good news on Friday after not matching last year.

I got an offer from an APA-Accredited post-doc! Definitely didn't expect that, given my scarred internship match experience.

Reactions: 6 users
I got rejections from my top 3, but still got 2 amazing offers (felt really lucky that all my places were great, even the bottom half) and ended up accepting at an academic medical center in the geographic area that I've been wanting to get back to for years. So thrilled, and incredibly happy to be done with this roller coaster.

Reactions: 7 users
I got rejections from my top 3, but still got 2 amazing offers (felt really lucky that all my places were great, even the bottom half) and ended up accepting at an academic medical center in the geographic area that I've been wanting to get back to for years. So thrilled, and incredibly happy to be done with this roller coaster.

Congratulations, CBTFTW! I am so happy for everyone! I think there is still plenty of hope left, as I got notified pretty late in the day.

I am so happy for you! After not getting your top choice internship, you really deserve it. I hope to get good news on Friday after not matching last year.

Aww, thank you! My fingers will be crossed for you on Friday. :)

Decided to withdraw my application from the non-clinical position I had applied for and accepted an offer from a great clinical position. It was kind of a difficult decision, however the spot I accepted is in a preferable geographic location and also means my partner and I will not have to relocate (again) and I'm sure to gain hours for licensure. Glad this process is complete!

Reactions: 3 users
Decided to withdraw my application from the non-clinical position I had applied for and accepted an offer from a great clinical position. It was kind of a difficult decision, however the spot I accepted is in a preferable geographic location and also means my partner and I will not have to relocate (again) and I'm sure to gain hours for licensure. Glad this process is complete!

Congrats! I feel like the career vs. family preference vs. location thing is so hard to balance. I'm glad you're done!

I was one of those who didn't get a call yesterday, but I'm very happy for those of you that did! I am disappointed but still (a little) hopeful, especially when openings have already popped up.

I was one of those who didn't get a call yesterday, but I'm very happy for those of you that did! I am disappointed but still (a little) hopeful, especially when openings have already popped up.

Best of luck! There are a bunch more that popped up overnight, so I think you have a really good chance!

Last edited:
It seems like there are tons of great sites that have openings left! It can't be easy to have to keep doing this, but at least there are many opportunities.

I got so many e-mails today about openings, I was sort of shocked! It's a nice reminder that it's an ongoing (but painful) process

That's the truth! I felt like my inbox was flooded today. :wideyed: (And per my supervisor, there tends to be another wave of them in the next couple of months.)

The VA Boston Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program has an unanticipated opening for 1 Neuropsychology Fellow for the 2015 Training Year. Please contact Nikki Stricker ([email protected]; 857-364-2305) as soon as possible if you are interested in applying.

VA BOSTON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM

1 FULL-TIME 2-YEAR CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGY FELLOWSHIP POSITION

SEPTEMBER 1, 2015 - AUGUST 31, 2017

Position: The Fellowship program is affiliated with Harvard Medical School and the Boston University School of Medicine, and is accredited by the American Psychological Association. The Neuropsychology Training Program is independently accredited by APA but functions within the structure and administration of the VA Boston Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship program.

I'm treating this as the new post doc thread ;)

How'd the neuropsych match go for people?

The VA Boston Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program has an unanticipated opening for 1 Neuropsychology Fellow for the 2015 Training Year. Please contact Nikki Stricker ([email protected]; 857-364-2305) as soon as possible if you are interested in applying.

VA BOSTON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM

1 FULL-TIME 2-YEAR CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGY FELLOWSHIP POSITION

SEPTEMBER 1, 2015 - AUGUST 31, 2017

Position: The Fellowship program is affiliated with Harvard Medical School and the Boston University School of Medicine, and is accredited by the American Psychological Association. The Neuropsychology Training Program is independently accredited by APA but functions within the structure and administration of the VA Boston Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship program.

Thanks, Wisneuro. That looks like a great program, but highly competitive too!

Congrats to everyone that found a postdoc! To those of you who applied to neuro positions, how many did you apply to? Did you find that you got more or less interviews than during the internship match?