Post Doc Season 2020 - 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi :)! I applied to the boys 50/50 and the outpatient kids tracks. I didn't get stuff in until the due date but we'll see!
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also applied to McLean! I'm so glad to be in this with someone. Haven't heard from them either. I checked post-doc threads through the last several years and it looks like they send invites after January 1st. So there is still some hope for us :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi :)! I applied to the boys 50/50 and the outpatient kids tracks. I didn't get stuff in until the due date but we'll see!
Same boat regarding the materials being sent by the deadline! It was the earliest one for me, so I definitely was down to the wire there. Oh how exciting, fingers crossed we hear soon!!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞 and if we both end up there, we can climb some mountains together, hahaha.

Hey all,
First off, thank you to the person who gave the earlier advice regarding the reminders on reference letters. I sent a 2 week reminder. One person responded right away, saying thanks for the reminder, etc. The other person, I last heard from the 3 weeks ago and it has been five days since I sent the reminder.
The deadline is January 1st, and holidays are coming up. Am I better off asking another person at this point? :(

I don’t want this person and the new person both sending letters, and then the site thinks I can’t read and asked for too many letter of recs. I also don’t want my app thrown out and make someones decision easier since I couldn’t even get the full requirements of my application packet.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
First off, thank you to the person who gave the earlier advice regarding the reminders on reference letters. I sent a 2 week reminder. One person responded right away, saying thanks for the reminder, etc. The other person, I last heard from the 3 weeks ago and it has been five days since I sent the reminder.
The deadline is January 1st, and holidays are coming up. Am I better off asking another person at this point? :(

I don’t want this person and the new person both sending letters, and then the site thinks I can’t read and asked for too many letter of recs. I also don’t want my app thrown out and make someones decision easier since I couldn’t even get the full requirements of my application packet.

I encourage you to engage in some problem-solving/brainstorming of your own.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

Hi. TD here. You could remind your last letter writer that the due date is approaching and check in in the the TDs of sites you’ve applied to. We do understand that letter writers can be hard to track down. I wish you the best of luck!

Depending on the postdoc, they may be getting as few as single digit apps for each spot so it's likely in their interest to not DNR apps off the bat. I'd recommend sending TDs a brief email explaining the situation and how they may potentially get more recs than what was asked for if you end up asking somebody else.

I'd like to think most sites won't hold factors not in your control against you. Good luck!

Hi. TD here. You could remind your last letter writer that the due date is approaching and check in in the the TDs of sites you’ve applied to. We do understand that letter writers can be hard to track down. I wish you the best of luck!
Phew okay, maybe this isn’t as big of a deal as I thought. Thank you!

Is it normal for every TD to reach out for informal interviews after the application has been submitted? I've had three informal interviews and setting up formal interviews in January. I don't want to get too excited if this is just formal procedure for post doc. I had a great informal interview at a hospital and he seemed genuinely interested that I was a great fit for their program and its my first choice. This is such a different experience in comparison to internship applications .

Is it normal for every TD to reach out for informal interviews after the application has been submitted? I've had three informal interviews and setting up formal interviews in January. I don't want to get too excited if this is just formal procedure for post doc. I had a great informal interview at a hospital and he seemed genuinely interested that I was a great fit for their program and its my first choice. This is such a different experience in comparison to internship applications .
Wait what is an informal vs formal intervew?? I have only had formal interviews for jobs/clinical training positions.

Wait what is an informal vs formal intervew?? I have only had formal interviews for jobs/clinical training positions.
The TD shares more information about the program, asks questions about you and future interests. So far they describe it as an informal conversation to see if you are a good fit maybe? I've had 3 post doc programs reach out immediately after application

I had one site that requested a 15 minute phone call to touch base. It actually felt like an interview and I felt very unprepared and was a bit disappointed that it was framed as a 15 minute call to talk. I don't think I did very well. They told me that it was there way of determining whether an interview should be granted.

I had one site that requested a 15 minute phone call to touch base. It actually felt like an interview and I felt very unprepared and was a bit disappointed that it was framed as a 15 minute call to talk. I don't think I did very well. They told me that it was there way of determining whether an interview should be granted.
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that! Thank you for sharing your experience and giving us a heads up (I honestly have never had an ‘informal interview’ before)

Hey all,
This might be the wrong forum thread to ask but...if somehow a person doesn’t graduate in August, what are some options for income while a person works on their dissertation? It is my best intent to finish but I like backup plans. Do people do doordash/ubereats/postmates if it’s only a few weeks? Or try to get a job as a psychometrician? (Which i assume a job like that would want you to stay long term).
i can’t wait until I settle into a job and can stay there for 20+ years!

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be the wrong forum thread to ask but...if somehow a person doesn’t graduate in August, what are some options for income while a person works on their dissertation?
I'd first try to figure out if it's possible to have a degree conferred in December and if so, what's the timeline
to successfully defend and submit your dissertation to the Graduate School to meet that deadline.

If that's an option, I'd probably try to find work that is the most flexible and to do the bare minimum to pay your bills so you can maximize dissertation time and to get everything else ready (e.g., EPPP prep, licensure applications, job/postdoc search) so that as soon as your degree is conferred, you can get going on whatever is next.

If for some reason you end up being stuck until the following August, looking for something full-time seems prudent.

I submitted some apps over the weekend and saw an email today from a site. My heart did a little jump but it was just an email acknowledging that they received my application!
Which I do appreciate. I am afraid that an application email will end up in someone’s junk mail.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
The waiting process stinks between applying and hearing about interviews and potential offers :( I'm finding it hard to concentrate and I keep checking my email a la internship application season last year. Are others having the same experience?

• Love
The waiting process stinks between applying and hearing about interviews and potential offers :( I'm finding it hard to concentrate and I keep checking my email a la internship application season last year. Are others having the same experience?

Yup, I was!!! Up until maybe two days ago, haha. Something that helped me was looking up job applications- I found several jobs I would love to apply for in states I really want to live in if none of the post-docs pan out and getting excited about those has totally eliminated the compulsive checking (so far)! But it was really once per hour, and now I've gone about 2 days only vaguely thinking about it and not doing my internship levels of checking.

Yup, I was!!! Up until maybe two days ago, haha. Something that helped me was looking up job applications- I found several jobs I would love to apply for in states I really want to live in if none of the post-docs pan out and getting excited about those has totally eliminated the compulsive checking (so far)! But it was really once per hour, and now I've gone about 2 days only vaguely thinking about it and not doing my internship levels of checking.
Would you mind sharing the types of job searches you are doing? (position titles). all i could think of is teaching. my other searches seemed to find me masters level positions that require a license or behavioral tech positions which I think you only need a high school degree for so pay isn’t great.

To be honest, no. I feel a strange sense of peace. But I was very anxious over my letter writers not responding to me/not turning things in on time, so now that apps are in, I’m like “whew!”

I imagine I will get nervous if I don’t hear anything in 2+ weeks!

Hello :) I hope that this thread is an okay place to ask this question, but I wanted to get the opinions of interns currently applying to post docs or TDs of postdoc placements. (I'm currently a grad student in the midst of internship season). Are there any people here who are currently at college counseling centers who are applying to post docs that are not college counseling centers or private practice? I was wondering if it's unusual to move from a CCC internship to a post doc placement in something like community mental health. I'm currently considering how to rank placements and would like to know if I might be closing potential doors if I end up going to a CCC internship vs a community mental health internship. Thanks in advance to any replies. And good luck to anyone in their postdoc process!

Hello :) I hope that this thread is an okay place to ask this question, but I wanted to get the opinions of interns currently applying to post docs or TDs of postdoc placements. (I'm currently a grad student in the midst of internship season). Are there any people here who are currently at college counseling centers who are applying to post docs that are not college counseling centers or private practice? I was wondering if it's unusual to move from a CCC internship to a post doc placement in something like community mental health. I'm currently considering how to rank placements and would like to know if I might be closing potential doors if I end up going to a CCC internship vs a community mental health internship. Thanks in advance to any replies. And good luck to anyone in their postdoc process!

I was at a UCC for internship and am now in an outpatient primary care clinic. It's not impossible, it just comes down to selling yourself for the position.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't speak from personal experience but I have worked with multiple supervisors at the VA who did their internship in a UCC.

Ok I am starting to get nervous - I have two interviews to be scheduled that are NOT abiding by UND and 5 incredible interviews that are part of UND. If I get an offer from a non-UND site, do you think they would be willing to wait for UND for me to make a decision? I'm working with hypothetical situations and it's freaking me out I will have no offers in the end. Am I the only one anxious about this? EEEeekkkkk.....

Postdoc invitation thread has lots of information about this!!! Check that thread out, they were just talking about this today.

Ok I am starting to get nervous - I have two interviews to be scheduled that are NOT abiding by UND and 5 incredible interviews that are part of UND. If I get an offer from a non-UND site, do you think they would be willing to wait for UND for me to make a decision? I'm working with hypothetical situations and it's freaking me out I will have no offers in the end. Am I the only one anxious about this? EEEeekkkkk.....

Likely not, which is why they aren't abiding by the UND (they want to try to get positions filled before they lose out to UND sites). If you do get an offer, you can ask for a reciprocal offer from a UND site (though you'd have to accept immediately if offered). Check out the UND guidelines, as they're very helpful. Also, reach out to your DCT or a supervisor - this is something I talk frequently about with the interns at my site.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the non-UND or non-match programs will keep doing this, as they do not perceive a downside. Especially the more attractive training sites. Only way to really stop it, is to not apply to those sites.

I am in that position right now. I was offered a position last week at a site that did not update their UND page this year but has had a page in the past. It's tough because my top choices right now I haven't even been offered an interview at. I also have interviews coming up. So I don't feel confident requesting a reciprocal offer from sites that haven't even notified me of an interview yet. Thoughts?

• Care
I am in that position right now. I was offered a position last week at a site that did not update their UND page this year but has had a page in the past. It's tough because my top choices right now I haven't even been offered an interview at. I also have interviews coming up. So I don't feel confident requesting a reciprocal offer from sites that haven't even notified me of an interview yet. Thoughts?

If you have not been offered an interview, you should still contact that site to let them know the situation and ask about your status.

If you have not been offered an interview, you should still contact that site to let them know the situation and ask about your status.
Thank you! I may do that for two sites then!

Actually, you're supposed to pick your top site and inquire. After their response, if you do not get an offer and accept, then you contact the next preferred site.
Hello, do you know if this is the same for the APPCN match?

Likely not, which is why they aren't abiding by the UND (they want to try to get positions filled before they lose out to UND sites). If you do get an offer, you can ask for a reciprocal offer from a UND site (though you'd have to accept immediately if offered). Check out the UND guidelines, as they're very helpful. Also, reach out to your DCT or a supervisor - this is something I talk frequently about with the interns at my site.
I may reach out to faculty from my graduate school - supervision has been super challenging to get right now due to intern applicant interviews and interns are not receptive at my site. I tried to share but many folks don’t have that many interviews so I dont want to seem like I’m bragging. I mentioned feeling overwhelmed with scheduling and an intern teased me that I was... so I haven’t mentioned it since. I’ve read up on the UND guidelines so at least I feel prepared for that.

• Sad
I may reach out to faculty from my graduate school - supervision has been super challenging to get right now due to intern applicant interviews and interns are not receptive at my site. I tried to share but many folks don’t have that many interviews so I dont want to seem like I’m bragging. I mentioned feeling overwhelmed with scheduling and an intern teased me that I was... so I haven’t mentioned it since. I’ve read up on the UND guidelines so at least I feel prepared for that.
I hate that! I am so sorry @affectiveH3art . I know in my intern cohort there was one guy who asked people to not share their interviews with him specifically, but it doesn't seem like that intern set that kind of boundary with you (as far as I can discern). They just sound rude. I think having lots of interviews IS a totally valid stressor

I hate that! I am so sorry @affectiveH3art . I know in my intern cohort there was one guy who asked people to not share their interviews with him specifically, but it doesn't seem like that intern set that kind of boundary with you (as far as I can discern). They just sound rude. I think having lots of interviews IS a totally valid stressor
I’m lucky I have one cohort I can share with via texting or I would feel really bummed. haha They are pretty rude but that’s ok! To each their own!

Oh wow - I'm sorry to hear this because this is very unfortunate. Despite being in the midst of internship interviews, I believe the priority should be supporting current trainees. Perhaps I'm fortunate to work with supervisors who are very supportive of our interns going through this process, though I hope your situation is not the normative experience. Please feel free to reach out to me if you want another opinion/input from an internship training director!

Oh wow - I'm sorry to hear this because this is very unfortunate. Despite being in the midst of internship interviews, I believe the priority should be supporting current trainees. Perhaps I'm fortunate to work with supervisors who are very supportive of our interns going through this process, though I hope your situation is not the normative experience. Please feel free to reach out to me if you want another opinion/input from an internship training director!
Thank you - I appreciate that! There's is a lot of shuffling around with roles and supervision so hopefully it will settle and we will get supervision straightened out.

Soooo I got an acceptance BUT I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the UND and they'd like a response form me before then. I'm not sure what to do, has this happened to folks?

• Love
Soooo I got an acceptance BUT I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the UND and they'd like a response form me before then. I'm not sure what to do, has this happened to folks?
You can contact your top site and ask where they are in the process/if they made a decision. Then if they offer you a spot, you have to accept it and let the other site know you took that offer (per UND guidelines)

I'm curious how soon after the interview did they ask - and was it via email or phone? If they aren't your #1 you can always ask your first choice for a reciprocal offer. Good luck!

You can contact your top site and ask where they are in the process/if they made a decision. Then if they offer you a spot, you have to accept it and let the other site know you took that offer (per UND guidelines)
Thank you! I just wasn't expecting it to happen before the date so I hadn't thought about the reciprocal piece being available other than day-of.

I applied to several corporate managed care settings and a VA for postdoc with primarily UCC experience and some VA experience. Didn’t have much luck that route. I do think that it’s possible that some settings may see a lot of UCC experience as being a disadvantage compared to someone with a wider range of experiences, but it also depends on supply/demand for postdoc positions and the attitudes of the committee at the site/niche you apply to.

It’s not always an issue, as some have mentioned.

That said, some postdoc sites will have the attitude that you should’ve done an internship/practicum at X type of site if you want a postdoc at that same type of site. It is site specific, although medical settings and VAs tend to fall a little more on this side of things, from what I’ve seen. For example, I had VA experience but not in the exact niche I applied to (I wanted to branch out on my training) and my app got excluded as soon as I had to say “no” to a screening question at the very end of the lengthy application process about whether I’d had a certain kind of experience.

Last edited:
Do you practice in a specialty area? Do you ever plan on going for board certification? If so, these PP postdocs can make that much harder.
@WisNeuro Do unofficial postdocs made board certification harder (no specialty area)? I've heard it can be hard to attain the required hours if you go the non-official route...does anyone know if you can you work part-time at two unofficial postdoc sites and count hours from both or do all your hours have to come from a single site?

@WisNeuro Do unofficial postdocs made board certification harder (no specialty area)? I've heard it can be hard to attain the required hours if you go the non-official route...does anyone know if you can you work part-time at two unofficial postdoc sites and count hours from both or do all your hours have to come from a single site?
If this is California, you should be able to have separate psych associate/registered psychologist supervision agreements for each site to count hours separately for each. I had just one site and one agreement, but because psychiatrists are allowed to supervise only some hours for postdocs in CA (for example), those folks would probably have to get the rest of their supervision elsewhere anyway, so I know it's possible.

Check out the ABPP requirements. One of the big issues about unofficial postdocs is having to meticulously document your didactic and supervision activities. You'll also need to demonstrate how you've met certain competencies, such as research and consultation, which can be difficult in some settings.

If this is California, you should be able to have separate psych associate/registered psychologist supervision agreements for each site to count hours separately for each. I had just one site and one agreement, but because psychiatrists are allowed to supervise only some hours for postdocs in CA (for example), those folks would probably have to get the rest of their supervision elsewhere anyway, so I know it's possible.
Oh that's great to know, thanks! I haven't been able to find any information on ABPP or elsewhere about this so I really appreciate you sharing this.

Check out the ABPP requirements. One of the big issues about unofficial postdocs is having to meticulously document your didactic and supervision activities. You'll also need to demonstrate how you've met certain competencies, such as research and consultation, which can be difficult in some settings.
Thanks! I couldn't find any information about doing multiple unofficial postdocs there but hopefully the licensing representatives will respond to my voicemail or email at some point with more information.

For anyone else who may see this and who chose the unofficial postdoc route, how were you able to meet consultation and, in particular, research competencies?