Post-interview communication: Did it pan out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied in Pathology.

As soon as I submitted my application to my eventual #1, I received an extremely personalized interview invitation from the program director, along with a phone call from him inviting me to interview. He stressed why his program was exactly what I was looking for.

He tailored my interview day very well to my interests. I was on the fence about the program before I went, but had an extremely positive impression and the program shot up in my estimation afterwards.

He wrote me a very detailed, extremely helpful and personalized paper letter after my interview stating why I was a good fit, along with a more concise email reiterating the same.

After I decided it was my #1, I wrote a very detailed email stating why I thought his program was best for me, and assuring him I would rank it first. I asked if my spouse could accept a job in his city, the deadline to accept/turn down said job being before Match Day. He said absolutely, I was certainly ranked to match.

And I matched there. Anticlimactic but very happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol.
I applied in Pathology.

As soon as I submitted my application to my eventual #1, I received an extremely personalized interview invitation from the program director, along with a phone call from him inviting me to interview. He stressed why his program was exactly what I was looking for.

He tailored my interview day very well to my interests. I was on the fence about the program before I went, but had an extremely positive impression and the program shot up in my estimation afterwards.

He wrote me a very detailed, extremely helpful and personalized paper letter after my interview stating why I was a good fit, along with a more concise email reiterating the same.

After I decided it was my #1, I wrote a very detailed email stating why I thought his program was best for me, and assuring him I would rank it first. I asked if my spouse could accept a job in his city, the deadline to accept/turn down said job being before Match Day. He said absolutely, I was certainly ranked to match.

And I matched there. Anticlimactic but very happy.
Lolololol. The anticlimactic nature of this story made me die laughing. I guess I am just delirious from a week of absolute hell.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

I was inspired by this thread and decided to make a survey so that we can get a better picture of how often it is that programs & applicants aren't entirely honest with each other in their post-communication interview.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VSDVCWW

10 simple questions that should be pretty straightforward. Will only take a few minutes at most!

Since the NRMP is unlikely to release this kind of data, it's up for us to get some (questionably) objective data in order to better advise future applicants.

great survey. please start a new thread with a good header. After which you can post your results there as well. Otherwise it will get buried here.

I received a nice (not a love letter) reply to my thank you note from my number 1's PD early in the season. Christmas/New Year e-mail to the same PD went unanswered. Matched at my number 1.

So, in conclusion, post-interview communication means SQUAT.

Told my #1 program my intent on ranking them #1, and they just replied with a generic "would love to work with you," response. Felt very un-loved.

My #2 was heavy on recruiting me to their program, and it almost made me switch them to #1 due to all the love letters.

Kept my ranking list the same despite the post-interview communications, and matched my #1. Turned out my friends who ranked my #2 program their #1 program didn't match at the program... despite the fact that they too got the same love-letters.

So yes. Post-interview communications don't mean jack.

I ranked my home program #1. I got lots of love from them, including phone calls from the PD, assistant PD, and emails from them and 2 residents. I was told that they expect to see me there in July and would be disappointed if I didn't end up staying at this program.

I did not match there.

On the one hand, I know never to trust anything that programs tell you, and I didn't fully trust what I was hearing because it was so over-the-top. On the other hand, these are people I've been working with, shadowing, doing rotations with, etc... for 4 years now. Two of them wrote me LORs which I've been told were glowing. It's extremely difficult not to take it personally when these are people who know me very well.

That sucks. I'm glad I matched though. I also feel really good about not lying. I told my #1 program that they were that. Didn't say that to anyone else though. For those that did lie and told more than one program that they would be #1: weren't you worried about PDs talking to each other and exposing the lies?

I heard a lot of feedback from my 2 and especially my 3. Went back to my 1 and did a second look, as well as telling the PD they were going to be my top choice. Matched with #3 which was a program I'd rotated with and is close to home. Admittedly, 1 and 2 were kinda reaches but I was still disappointed, especially initially.