Post interview salutations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can interview performance be gleaned by the comments during and or after an interview.

For example, if an interviewer says, “we would love to have you up here next year.” Is it a good sign?

Likewise, would something like “I wish you the best of luck with your other interviews/applications.” be a badsign? Would this imply that you’ll either need luck to get in or you’ll need luck at other schools that you’re interviewing at.

To quote Catcher in the Rye,

“I'd never yell, ‘Good luck!’ at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it.”

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean I've had friends who had interviews where the interviewer took them on a tour of the hospital, was very friendly, and finished the interview with "see you next year" followed by a rejection a few weeks later. I've also had friends who had interviews where the interviewer didn't ask any followups, seemed disinterested, etc. and then resulted in an acceptance.

Just try your best. The interview is just a piece of the whole application package

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Can interview performance be gleaned by the comments during and or after an interview.

For example, if an interviewer says, “we would love to have you up here next year.” Is it a good sign?

Likewise, would something like “I wish you the best of luck with your other interviews/applications.” be a badsign? Would this imply that you’ll either need luck to get in or you’ll need luck at other schools that you’re interviewing at.
We're trained to be polite.

You will drive yourself even crazier if you try to divine your fate by interview comments.

The interviewer may love you, but it's the entire Adcom that accepts/WLs or rejects.

And before you start another thread on it, most people are poor judges of their interview performance.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're trained to be polite.

You will drive yourself even crazier if you try to divine your fate by interview comments.

The interviewer may love you, but it's the entire Adcom that accepts/WLs or rejects.

And before you start another thread on it, most people are poor judges of their interview performance.
Thank you. I won’t start another thread about it. Just curious. Was getting mixed signals through the entire thing. Guess I’ll find out the 15th

Given my situation, should I send a letter of intent to the school I interviewed at? Could see myself going there and they’re definitely aware of the baggage. Have a T10 interview in October but they don’t do rolling admissions so I wouldn’t find out until March. Don’t really want to risk not having acceptance at that point because I would have to get ready for 2022-23

do letters of intent ever move the needle from WL to A?

Last edited:
Given my situation, should I send a letter of intent to the school I interviewed at? Could see myself going there and they’re definitely aware of the baggage. Have a T10 interview in October but they don’t do rolling admissions so I wouldn’t find out until March. Don’t really want to risk not having acceptance at that point because I would have to get ready for 2022-23

Only at needy schools or those who like seeing people grovel, like U Penn, Gtown, Mayo, and Jefferson. Other Admissions Deans treat them as lies.

Reactions: 1 users

My understanding is that they do, but at the end of the cycle, when schools are actually looking to nail down people to fill seats, and where you are more likely to know exactly where you stand, everywhere. What @Goro refers to as lies is really just the simple fact that things change for everyone as the cycle progresses.

Even your "intent" is likely to change if you receive an A from your T10 in March. Schools know this. As a result, your "intent" carries no weight in October or November, since there is no way for you to actually make a formal, binding commitment until 4/30. Yeah, some schools like to see people beg. But even at them, the letters don't really mean anything, because just about everyone sends them!

There is very little WL movement in the time frame you are targeting, so you really should focus on trying to score the A. If you find yourself placed on a WL between now and March, you are extremely likely to still be on it at least until mid-April, regardless of whether or not you submit a LOI. WL movement doesn't really begin until people start relinquishing As, and that doesn't really kick into gear until mid-April, although some people do drop As throughout the cycle as their dream schools come through, depending on when they receive financial aid information.

Last edited:
Don’t really want to risk not having acceptance at that point because I would have to get ready for 2022-23
You should be getting ready to reapply from the moment you apply because most people do not get accepted the first go around.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

No.

To quote Catcher in the Rye,

“I'd never yell, ‘Good luck!’ at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it.”
You can't read into it.

You should be getting ready to reapply from the moment you apply because most people do not get accepted the first go around.
Applied before and got a bunch of As that were taken because I was dumb. Long story.

hoping for a second chance on the 15th but not holding my breath. Already had two interviews but nothing has come in besides Rs for three weeks now. I look at time series charts for 10+ hours a day and it makes no sense how within a week somebody can get three then get none for three weeks.

Last edited: