Post-Special Master's GPA recovery... options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafeinado_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm wrapping up an SMP this year at one of the top programs. Here are some stats about me:

SMP GPA: 3.9 (one more class left)
UG GPA: 3.2; BCPM: 2.9
MCAT: 516

Went to an Ivy for UG and majored in Spanish and Neurobiology. I have a ton of EC's including clinical research with one paper published (>1000 hours) , private practice experience (~250 hours), volunteering for the underserved (some clinical, some not; >100 hours) , international public health internship, bench research (>400 hours), and a bunch of random clubs in undergrad (leadership positions in 3). I also speak 6 languages. Non-URM.

I'm having trouble figuring out what range of schools I'd have a shot at. Some people say the SMP shows a big turnaround because I took medical school courses and did well, but others say it doesn't matter much because it doesn't factor into my UG GPA (which sucks). I'm not quite sure how to gauge myself within the GPA ranges listed on the MSAR because of this, so I'm looking for advice on school choice.

I'm either going to apply this upcoming cycle, or get a job in business and continue clinical volunteering for a year, which will depend on some financial factors, TBD.

Can anyone suggest some schools that would be a fit/reach/etc.? I'm interested in emergency medicine or surgery as of now and I'd like to be on the East Coast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as the school doesn't have an automatic screen for gpa and they have a familiarity with your program, you should get interviews.
The counselors at the program you attend should be able to tell you where applicants like you have found success. Barring that, apply to all your state publics and regional privates with the lowest 10th percentile gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the following:
Columbia
Duke
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSF (yes, UCSF)
BU
Albany
Drexel
Tulane
NYMC
Dartmouth
Wayne State, especially if you're from the Midwest
U Miami
Rosy Franklin
Loyola
Your state school
Any DO program

Get in some more clinical volunteering.

Hey all, I'm wrapping up an SMP this year at one of the top programs. Here are some stats about me:

SMP GPA: 3.9 (one more class left)
UG GPA: 3.2; BCPM: 2.9
MCAT: 516

Went to an Ivy for UG and majored in Spanish and Neurobiology. I have a ton of EC's including clinical research with one paper published (>1000 hours) , private practice experience (~250 hours), volunteering for the underserved (some clinical, some not; >100 hours) , international public health internship, bench research (>400 hours), and a bunch of random clubs in undergrad (leadership positions in 3). I also speak 6 languages. Non-URM.

I'm having trouble figuring out what range of schools I'd have a shot at. Some people say the SMP shows a big turnaround because I took medical school courses and did well, but others say it doesn't matter much because it doesn't factor into my UG GPA (which sucks). I'm not quite sure how to gauge myself within the GPA ranges listed on the MSAR because of this, so I'm looking for advice on school choice.

I'm either going to apply this upcoming cycle, or get a job in business and continue clinical volunteering for a year, which will depend on some financial factors, TBD.

Can anyone suggest some schools that would be a fit/reach/etc.? I'm interested in emergency medicine or surgery as of now and I'd like to be on the East Coast.

Thanks!

Your program should be able to help you figure out where people with your SMP GPA and MCAT have had success. Your app will probably generate interest from schools from all over the spectrum, the issue is just figuring out which schools these may be.