Post-TFA Lower end GPA/MCAT Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoDucks1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, what?
It means what languages do you speak besides English?
And have you volunteered, worked with or got involved in the native American/Mexican community?

Reactions: 1 users
It means what languages do you speak besides English?
And have you volunteered, worked with or got involved in the native American/Mexican community?

English is my only language, and I have worked with and gotten involved with the native american/Mexican community

Could you describe this? Both communities?

Yeah, sorry! Before TFA (where I worked with predominantly black communities) I volunteered at a Native American Health clinic. This was during my time at Oregon, where I was also involved in a program called Huerto de la Familia, and specifically the health sector committed to improving health education in the greater Eugene/Springfield area for underserved mexican american families. My original reply was saying that I'm of Mexican/Native American background. Sorry about the confusion!

Yeah, sorry! Before TFA (where I worked with predominantly black communities) I volunteered at a Native American Health clinic. This was during my time at Oregon, where I was also involved in a program called Huerto de la Familia, and specifically the health sector committed to improving health education in the greater Eugene/Springfield area for underserved mexican american families. My original reply was saying that I'm of Mexican/Native American background. Sorry about the confusion!
Are you a member of a recognized tribe?

Not legally, no.
Your work speaks for itself but unless you are a member of a tribe, I must caution that claiming NA status is a common ploy of the unscrupulous.
Communication is a key reason that the Mexican American community remains under-served. It would go along way toward making a case for your commitment to service for you to learn Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
What my learned colleague is pointing out is that many people talk the talk, but few walk the walk.
Your work speaks for itself but unless you are a member of a tribe, I must caution that claiming NA status is a common ploy of the unscrupulous.
Communication is a key reason that the Mexican American community remains under-served. It would go along way toward making a case for your commitment to service for you to learn Spanish.

While it might not be a good idea to claim NA status, you certainly do qualify for identifying yourself as Mexican and have demonstrated work to the Mexican community in the past.

There are no great stats to show URM admission for Mexicans because of the variables involved (ie commitment to the community, spanish speaking skills) but you have things on your app that can certainly make you competitive. I'm not a big fan of looking at the AAMC percent acceptance rate by GPA/MCAT chart blindly particularly for a case such as your that involves multiple layers of context for analysis, but the stats are what they are and while you don't have Spanish speaking skills, your group you identify yourself with is considered under represented in Medicine(unlike many other latino groups in those charts) and you have commitment to your community(something certainly not all people accounted for in the AAMC charts certainly have to your extent).

As for current schools you'll be competitive for Oregon being a OR resident. I don't think Oregon counts as one of the 5 schools U of Wash applicants can be considered IS for so I wouldn't bother there unless Oregon does. Nevada and Maryland are both very competitive OOS even with the ties you have. But with a good broad list of realistic OOS schools, I certainly think you can be competitive.