Post the cheapest schools you know of ITT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8MoreReps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For DPT schools I am looking at cost as the number one factor because of the debt to income ratio of a PT. The schools around here in MA cost up to 150k and the cheapest around here is UMASS Lowell which I still am not entirely sure what it costs but I heard it's about half of Boston University.

What are some schools out of MA that are really cheap and are they tougher to get into? What is the approximate cost for out of state? I wouldn't mind moving somewhere warm like Florida, and if it's cheaper than up here than that is another plus.

Members don't see this ad.

The one I can think of off the top of my head is Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina. You can find the link to their program through PTCAS.

University of Maryland, Eastern Shore is about $12,200 a year for instate students and $22,000 a year for out of state, with the third year being only $18,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard on here that if you move to fl, you can be a resident in one yr, in which case fgcu is cheap. Apparently eastern Carolina cost 6 k for instate a yr. some Colorado school lets you pay instate after the first year, of course I guess if you go one yr to the Florida school then you pay in stats for the last two. Tuition has now become my MOST important factor now and I don't want to be over 50k in debt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Northern Arizona University: 8000 for in state and 18000 for out of state. But I'm not sure if you can be an in state student after the first year

I heard on here that if you move to fl, you can be a resident in one yr, in which case fgcu is cheap. Apparently eastern Carolina cost 6 k for instate a yr. some Colorado school lets you pay instate after the first year, of course I guess if you go one yr to the Florida school then you pay in stats for the last two. Tuition has now become my MOST important factor now and I don't want to be over 50k in debt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Florida statute is now that if you start as OOS you must continue to be OOS.

Well then moving there for one yr may be worth it lol. I'm gonna be looking up residential status regulations today it seems lol.

Texas DPT schools average around 30k for the entire program and the cost of living in most parts of Texas for the duration of PT school (not counting cost of living during clinicals) is about 20-30k. So you're looking at about 60k give or take a few thousand for most of the state schools here. I'm not sure about the private schools in TX but I know there are only a few of those here. From what I can tell on this forum, I am very blessed to be attending school in TX.

Texas DPT schools average around 30k for the entire program and the cost of living in most parts of Texas for the duration of PT school (not counting cost of living during clinicals) is about 20-30k. So you're looking at about 60k give or take a few thousand for most of the state schools here. I'm not sure about the private schools in TX but I know there are only a few of those here. From what I can tell on this forum, I am very blessed to be attending school in TX.
what school do you go to?

For the oos tx schools how much? And WHY don't they use PTCAS? I can't get new recommendations for every school! Lol

Florida statute is now that if you start as OOS you must continue to be OOS.

BUT if you move change your license ,registration and work here supporting yourself well before the start of school you can establish residency I also think the rule is faster if you own property ( ie buy a condo) BUT you are right the law now is here if you come here just for school only it does not change your residency

True, TX schools average around 30k for the whole program! For TWU, they provide a scholarship for OOS students to receive in-state tuition. (From what I know, all our OOS students get the scholarship, thanks to the professors making sure they all get it SHHH!!!)

OOS tuition is roughly double. The only private university that has a DPT program is Hardin-Simmons University and is about 55k for tuition.

University of St. Augustine-Austin is a private DPT school in TX as well. Idk what their tuition is.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of St. Augustine-Austin is a private DPT school in TX as well. Idk what their tuition is.

Oh, that's right. Supposed to open next school year (Fall 2012)?

Looked it up:

Tuition

$11,750 per trimester x 7 trimesters = $82,250 for whole program, not including other expenses

At least it's somewhat... better than the San Marcos campus, where the estimated cost of attendance is like $150,000.................... but I guess, with similar calculations, your total would be almost the same, aroud 120k-130k, as cost of living is less in TX, compared with Cali.

But why don't the tx schools use ptcas? Can I move over there, have a full time job , rent an apt, then get in state tuition and keep I after quitting my Job?

They just choose not to. One school in Texas (UTSW) is contemplating using it, they asked those who were recently accepted whether or not they should start using it. Why do you ask??

Yes you would be able to move here and work for a year and then become a resident and get in state tuition. At least I think so. I don't think quitting your job to go to school should get in the way of your residency if that's what you're asking.

I ask about ptcas because I can use the LOR that I already have, instead of trying to get the same people to write tons of l
LOR . Eventually they will stop being so nice and say find somebody else, lol.

Haha the therapists I asked just typed it up, printed like 5 copies and signed them all

Damn that's a good idea. What if the school wants it through email? They let you scan it and send as .jpg? Lol

I don't recall any of them wanting it through email but I only applied to three schools in TX! If the school wants it through email it would e just as easy to pull the letter they save one the computer up and send it to an email that you give them!

Damn that's a good idea. What if the school wants it through email? They let you scan it and send as .jpg? Lol

Hahaha, unfortunately no. You can't open the LOR yourself to email it. You'll have to ask them to do it for you, or ask if the school will take the enveloped paper copy.

Northern Arizona University: 8000 for in state and 18000 for out of state. But I'm not sure if you can be an in state student after the first year

Out-of-state (OOS) students can be in-state after the first year. OOS candidates can also be offered in-state tuition for even the first year (with the assumption that you'll get residency for the second and third years) -- they call it an out-of-state tuition waiver. A friend and I are both OOS, and we were both offered this.

If you're looking for somewhere warm, they're starting a cohort in Phoenix this year pending approval in May.

So how do I become a candidate of this? My tuition being 150 k or 50 k totally rides on me being considered OSS or in state

Hahaha, unfortunately no. You can't open the LOR yourself to email it. You'll have to ask them to do it for you, or ask if the school will take the enveloped paper copy.

Lol yea completely forgot. Although when I was getting a pt to finish the LOR , she asked me if I wanted to read it. I thought she was just playing with me but she really didn't know that I wasn't supposed to. Now I'm curious. Lol. She said don't worry it's good

So how do I become a candidate of this? My tuition being 150 k or 50 k totally rides on me being considered OSS or in state

In the letter from NAU, it didn't say why we were offered the OOS tuition waiver, but if I had to guess, I would say it's cuz we both had high GRE scores and pre-req GPAs. Although why PT schools care about the GRE is beyond me... I don't see how that test can predict anything.

In my case, though, should be noted that my GPA at the school where I earned my bachelor's was a 3.1 (there's a D, a W, a couple I's and about four C's on that transcript). Taking prereqs and fun classes at a community college is what made me a viable candidate.

In the letter from NAU, it didn't say why we were offered the OOS tuition waiver, but if I had to guess, I would say it's cuz we both had high GRE scores and pre-req GPAs. Although why PT schools care about the GRE is beyond me... I don't see how that test can predict anything.

In my case, though, should be noted that my GPA at the school where I earned my bachelor's was a 3.1 (there's a D, a W, a couple I's and about four C's on that transcript). Taking prereqs and fun classes at a community college is what made me a viable candidate.
I asked the chair of the PT dept of NAU about the OOS topic and this is what he replied
" With respect to gaining Arizona residency for tuition purposes, this is handled on an individual basis by the Graduate College. Basically, a person would need to be living in Arizona for at least one year and then provide sufficient evidence that they intend to be a permanent resident of the state. Additional questions about residency should be addressed to the Graduate College (http://nau.edu/gradcol/)"

Although why PT schools care about the GRE is beyond me... I don't see how that test can predict anything.
PT schools care about GRE because these scores independently predicted passing on NPTE....verbal was the best using verbal and quantitative GRE, and GPA looking at area under the curve, but in regression models GPA and verbal GRE did about the same for prediction.
Verbal GRE was the best predictor of passing NPTE when assessed within and not between programs (so not looking at or adjusting for differences in students at different programs).
Utzman RR, Riddle DL, Jewell DV. Use of demographic and quantitative admissions data to predict performance on the National Physical Therapy Examination. Phys Ther. 2007;87: 1181-93.

Honestly, to all applicants, PT schools kind of know what they are doing. We would not ask you to do something if there is no reason to do so. If you want to know why a school is requiring you to do or take something, ask them. They will have a rationale for it.

PT schools care about GRE because these scores independently predicted passing on NPTE....verbal was the best using verbal and quantitative GRE, and GPA looking at area under the curve, but in regression models GPA and verbal GRE did about the same for prediction.
Verbal GRE was the best predictor of passing NPTE when assessed within and not between programs (so not looking at or adjusting for differences in students at different programs).
Utzman RR, Riddle DL, Jewell DV. Use of demographic and quantitative admissions data to predict performance on the National Physical Therapy Examination. Phys Ther. 2007;87: 1181-93.

Honestly, to all applicants, PT schools kind of know what they are doing. We would not ask you to do something if there is no reason to do so. If you want to know why a school is requiring you to do or take something, ask them. They will have a rationale for it.

Oh, my bad, I didn't know there was a study. Happy to see the correlation between verbal score and passing the boards -- that was my stronger section.