Post Your Schools 2005 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalpenn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I think it would be interesting to see where people matched.
I will start
Penn did very well this year for Class of 2005:

Ortho: Tufts (2), VCU, Columbia, UMKC, NYU, Childrens National, UMDNJ, minnesota

Pedo: Columbia, Pittsburgh, Luthern, Long Island Jewish, St. Christopher

OS: Penn, Mass General, Tennessee, Jefferson, Pittsburgh, Oregon

Endo: Penn (2), Harvard, New Orleans, Pittsburgh

Perio: Uconn, Tufts, Penn(2)

Pros: Nova, San Antonio, UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

dentalpenn said:
Hi I think it would be interesting to see where people matched.
I will start
Penn did very well this year for Class of 2005:

Ortho: Tufts (2), VCU, Columbia, UMKC, NYU, Childrens National, UMDNJ, minnesota

Pedo: Columbia, Pittsburgh, Luthern, Long Island Jewish, St. Christopher

OS: Penn, Mass General, Tennessee, Jefferson, Pittsburgh, Oregon

Endo: Penn (2), Harvard, New Orleans, Pittsburgh

Perio: Uconn, Tufts, Penn(2)

Pros: Nova, San Antonio, UCSF
How many students from Penn have applied to OS ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho: Harvard, West Virginia, Minnesota, Nova, Loma Linda, Colorado (OEC), Jacksonville (OEC) - 7 for 7

OMFS: Univ. FL Jacksonville, Metro Health - 2 for 2

Prostho: UIC, Univ. Washington, Nova - 3 for 5

Pedo: don't know
Perio: don't know
Endo: don't know

zidanereal2003 said:
How many students from Penn have applied to OS ?

Our Class size is 96 and we have an additional 30 international students, but these results are just for the regular class of 96. Generally the international students do not specialize because quite frankly they are sick of going through dental school for the second time. So a high percentage of us specialize as was the case this year and historically.

Only one person did not match to OS.

Yah-E said:
Ortho: Harvard, West Virginia, Minnesota, Nova, Loma Linda, Colorado (OEC), Jacksonville (OEC) - 7 for 7

Nova has 7 matched into ortho, that's surprising.

dentalpenn said:
Our Class size is 96 and we have an additional 30 international students, but these results are just for the regular class of 96. Generally the international students do not specialize because quite frankly they are sick of going through dental school for the second time. So a high percentage of us specialize as was the case this year and historically.

Only one person did not match to OS.

Hey, I met a student from Penn that didn't match ortho.- you're statistics might be a little off.......

sdog said:
Hey, I met a student from Penn that didn't match ortho.- you're statistics might be a little off.......
i think dentalpenn was referring only to OMFS, since someone asked that question in particular.

dentalpenn, do you know how many people applied vs matched?

jessUMD said:
i think dentalpenn was referring only to OMFS, since someone asked that question in particular.

dentalpenn, do you know how many people applied vs matched?

Exactly only one person did not match to Oral Surgery (OS)
One preson did not get into endo
4-5 people did not match into ortho

But these are just the people that were vocal about applying, I am sure there were more lurking applicants to the more competitive programs like OS, endo and ortho

Is a guy named Ming one of the ppl who got into metro
Yah-E said:

Here's what I know from Harvard:

Ortho (7/8): Michigan, UCSF, Harvard (x2), UConn (x2), Maryland
OMFS (3/3): Harvard/MGH, UMDNJ, Oregon

jiggapigga said:
Is a guy named Ming one of the ppl who got into metro

There is only one Ming in the Class of 2005 at Nova and he is no where near OMFS. He never applied and it's not him at Metro Health, OH.

Profchaos said:
Nova has 7 matched into ortho, that's surprising.

That's right, the new kid on the block is producing more and more competitive applicants! :thumbup: I believe it entirely depend on the class itself. Some classes are more motivated to specialize and some aren't. Nova is definitely not a specialty producing dental school. We emphasize more on strong GP clinicians and cosmetic dentistry here in South FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
... We emphasize more on strong GP linicians and cosmetic dentistry here in South FL.

How do they emphasize on cosmetic dentistry? classes, advanced training, patients pool...?

ajmacgregor said:

There's also a girl from Harvard going to Florida for ortho.

Not trying to revive an old thread here, but I wouldn't really count the OEC acceptances in the same category as an acceptance to a real program. So Nova would be 5/5 not 7/7. Nova would be 2/2 for OEC programs.

Dentalpenn:
The guy that didn't matched into OMS, is that the guy who is currently doing his 1 year OMS intern/fellowship from penn?

lnn2 said:
How do they emphasize on cosmetic dentistry? classes, advanced training, patients pool...?
good point inn 2. what does he want them to focus on - ugly dentistry? all dentistry is cosmetic

ajmacgregor said:

Ajmacgregor,

From what I have heard from my buddies who are attending Harvard as 1st years, I thought almost the entire class went on to specialize each year. Given that your class size is ~35 (correct me if I am wrong), what are the other 20'something students going into?

san antonio

4/4 ortho: UWashington, Baylor x2, Houston
2/2 endo: UCSF, Minnesota
7/7 pedo: san antonio x2, ohio state x2, columbia, NYU, baylor
?/? gpr and aegd: UFlorida x1, san antonio x4, new york x3, palo alto x1, etc plus about 10-12 doing military aegd programs
2/2 oms: 1 military, 1 galveston

class size 86

adamlc18 said:
Ajmacgregor,

From what I have heard from my buddies who are attending Harvard as 1st years, I thought almost the entire class went on to specialize each year. Given that your class size is ~35 (correct me if I am wrong), what are the other 20'something students going into?

Hey - I should have been clearer - I don't know about perio, endo, prosth, or GPR, but everyone who applied matched in endo, perio, and prosth...

ajmacgregor said:

Wow, someone from Harvard actually didn't match into ortho? I wonder which candidate it was, I recall meeting a bunch of their class of 2005 students on the interview trail...

And another thing for whoever posted the Penn results - are you sure that no one from the Penn class of 2005 is staying at Penn to do ortho?

griffin04 said:
Wow, someone from Harvard actually didn't match into ortho? I wonder which candidate it was, I recall meeting a bunch of their class of 2005 students on the interview trail...

And another thing for whoever posted the Penn results - are you sure that no one from the Penn class of 2005 is staying at Penn to do ortho?

No one from Penn is into Ortho at Penn.. Actually a guy from UAB is matched at Upenn for Ortho...

peds: Montefiore(NY), Lutheran (NY), Columbia, USC, DC, UCSF -(6/6)
perio: UF -(1/1)
endo: U Penn - (1/1)
pros: UCLA, Harvard, Columbia(X 2) - (4/4)
ortho: Montefiore, Columbia (X 2), NYU, SUNY, UCLA, UMDNJ - (7/~12-15)
os: SUNY, Parkland (X 3)(TX), Emory, Columbia, Montefiore, King's County (NY)- (8/12)

drillerNfiller said:
peds: Montefiore(NY), Lutheran (NY), Columbia, USC, DC, UCSF -(6/6)
perio: UF -(1/1)
endo: U Penn - (1/1)
pros: UCLA, Harvard, Columbia(X 2) - (4/4)
ortho: Montefiore, Columbia (X 2), NYU, SUNY, UCLA, UMDNJ - (7/~12-15)
os: SUNY, Parkland (X 3)(TX), Emory, Columbia, Montefiore, King's County (NY)- (8/12)

thats 27 out of 75... How come only one person applied to endo? I'm first

year and it seems a lot of ppl are interested in that field. or is it because we

don't know jack s**t about it?? And another question for you. I've seen

quite a few fourth years who aren't interested in pursuing a specialty but

it seems odd that only 27 applied... are they the top 27 in the class and the

rest of the class doing the gpr/aegd and applying next year?

texas_dds said:
san antonio

4/4 ortho: UWashington, Baylor x2, Houston
2/2 endo: UCSF, Minnesota
7/7 pedo: san antonio x2, ohio state x2, columbia, NYU, baylor
?/? gpr and aegd: UFlorida x1, san antonio x4, new york x3, palo alto x1, etc plus about 10-12 doing military aegd programs
2/2 oms: 1 military, 1 galveston

class size 86

those are some interesting stats.. what type of school is san antonio -- research or clincal?

nnjh said:

year and it seems a lot of ppl are interested in that field. or is it because we

don't know jack s**t about it?? And another question for you. I've seen

quite a few fourth years who aren't interested in pursuing a specialty but

it seems odd that only 27 applied... are they the top 27 in the class and the

rest of the class doing the gpr/aegd and applying next year?

Can't tell u why only one dude applied to endo this year , but it does seem like first years are more interested in endo and maybe OMFS and ortho too cuz thats all they ever heard of, and they know u can make bank doing it. As the years of school go on, more people tend to find out that they dont all want to do endo the rest of their life. Typically a few more might apply but not too many.

Also 27 were accepted not applied. Closer to 40 applied. Even so both of these numbers are pretty high nationally. "only 27" accepted is a lot as u can see by other posts in this thread. Those that were accepted are not neccesarrily the top 27, but keep in mind thats more than 1/3 of the class. So they are all for the most part in the top 1/3 - to 1/2 I would estimate, but there are always those not in the top who get in, and those in the very top who do not. As you can see, those that claim u HAVE to be in the top 10% to specialize are wrong considering >30% of the entire class specializes

The other 30-40 kids and those who did apply but did not get into a specialty are almost all doing gpr/aegd. What they do next year is anyone's guess, thats kinda the point of the gpr/aegd. I know of only one kid who is planning on getting a job straight outta here, but there may be a few more.

nnjh said:

don't know jack s**t about it??

Only one person probably got into Endo because many Endo programs will not take students straight out of dental school. Having at least one year if GPR/AEGD/private practice makes you much more attractive to endo programs. Having more experience can be even better. The reason is that by the time you reach the fall of your senior year, you have completed maybe 2 or 3 endos on a real patient, and have done maybe 12 in pre-clinic endo lab. Whatever the numbers are, there is no way you have done more than 20 root canals total (real patients or on extracted teeth) by the fall of senior year. The endo programs want to see that you have the experience and are sure of wanting to pursue endo, since as an endodontist you will be treating the uber-tough cases, not the simple cases handed to you as a sophomore/junior/senior in dental school.

Since endo has become more competitive, you still need some competitive stats to apply. If a program gets 100 applications for 4 spots, you can bet they'll start sorting them by board scores to try and narrow down the pile.

rocknightmare said:
those are some interesting stats.. what type of school is san antonio -- research or clincal?

well i would say some of each - very big in research, more than decent clinically with really nice facilities

Overall these percentages seem a bit high to me. These schools are all better than 90% acceptance rates. I believe this from schools like Harvard, but I have to believe a few non-vocal students with mediocre stats applied. Odds are they may not have been given interviews and thus did not mention it to anyone. This is just my opinion but unless you were given inside information, would you really know if the quiet kid with the avg stats even applied unless (s)he told you?

Anybody know how michigan did this year?

Harvard: One more woman is going to Penn for Ortho. Four are going into Pedo, three into army specialties, one to GPR, and the rest into Endo.

adamlc18 said:
Ajmacgregor,

aksach said:
Harvard: One more woman is going to Penn for Ortho. Four are going into Pedo, three into army specialties, one to GPR, and the rest into Endo.

So 20 people from Harvard are going into endo?

Baylor class of '05

class size 84

ortho 4/7 Baylor, Louisville, UMKC, St. Louis
endo 1/1 Baylor
perio 1/1 Baylor
OMS 1/2 Baylor
pedo 2/2 Baylor, not sure where the other is going
prosth 1/1 Baylor
AEGD 3/3 Baylor
military GPR/AEGD 2/2

savinteeth said:
Baylor class of '05

class size 84

ortho 4/7 Baylor, Louisville, UMKC, St. Louis
endo 1/1 Baylor
perio 1/1 Baylor
OMS 1/2 Baylor
pedo 2/2 Baylor, not sure where the other is going
prosth 1/1 Baylor
AEGD 3/3 Baylor
military GPR/AEGD 2/2

Looks like baylor's got some crazy nepotism going on.

pretty much. glad i'm not the one staying. i'm gettin' my a** outta there! i know perio didn't have hardly any applicants. ortho was cut-throat as always, but endo is shady.

delicious said:
Looks like baylor's got some crazy nepotism going on.

Anybody from IUSD have the class match stats? I didn't want to start a new thread for IUSD alone. So how many people matched out of the entire class?