Postbacc advice: Choose the big-name school (USC) with large classes or the lesser-known school (Mills College) with small classes with your cohort?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julesbarks

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new to the SDN. This forum has been largely helpful in beginning my journey and sorting through information. There's actually quite a bit of information at the two schools that I'm currently applying to for the fall - USC and Mills College. But I thought I'd start my own thread just to see if there is any further information about these programs or about this topic that might help me.

I'm looking at formal post-bacc programs for career changers. I have been working in the tech industry for 4 years and through a series of transitional experiences have decided that I want to become a physician. I'm currently volunteering at a local ER and now applying for some entry-level healthcare positions.

I'm looking at two programs that are accepting fall applicants: USC and Mills College.
I'm a Bay Area local, and I would be making a move to downtown LA for the USC program. At USC, I would be in classes of 200+ pre-med students fresh out of highschool, which seems like a very competitive environment that may be more difficult to maintain a high GPA in. There will be plenty of opportunities for research at USC. And I know I can succeed there, I just want to hear about what other pre-med or post-pre-med students think about this. The USC program is more well-known from what I've read online, but how much does this matter? When I'm applying to medical school in a couple years, will it benefit me greatly to have the USC big-name on my transcripts? Is it worth making a move for the "best" - or most challenging - program?

The other program I am currently applying to is at Mills College, a small liberal arts school that is local to me. Their program has formal advising, you are in small classes with other students who are in your cohort (post-bacc career changers), and there are opportunities for MCAT studying. Not sure about research opportunities. But I have read online that many of the faculty members who helped to elevate this program have left for the nearby UC Berkeley Extension post-baccalaureate program. Are there any recent Mills graduates who can speak to this? I plan to visit the school myself to see if I can chat with another pre-med and ask about their experiences.

Both programs cost similarly (except I would save living costs by choosing Mills). Both programs boast similar "acceptance percentages" - although I will inquire further about the percentage of students who matriculated.

Side note - I do plan to apply to other programs for the following year if for whatever reason it doesn't work out with these two programs. So I'm just deciding between these two options because I got a late start - timing wasn't on my side - and these are the two programs that are still currently accepting applicants for the fall 2019 semester.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/reply to this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my postbacc program at USC and I really did enjoy it! I do think having a bigger name school was a draw for me, but there also were no formal postbacc programs where I was from so I didn't really have the option to stay local. There were definitely pros and cons to USC postbacc program, but overall I was extremely glad that I came here. If you want to ask any questions you have feel free!

The other program I am currently applying to is at Mills College, a small liberal arts school that is local to me. Their program has formal advising, you are in small classes with other students who are in your cohort (post-bacc career changers), and there are opportunities for MCAT studying.

Go to Mills College. It's sounds like a much better environment to cultivate a good relationship with your peers and professors. You'll be much more successful at Mills. A big name school is not important. What's important is that you get good grades and gain meaningful experiences from whichever school you decide to choose. A small class size will allow your professor to actually get to know you. You won't be some number as you'll be at a bigger school.

Last edited:
I would also choose Mills. I attended a very small post-bac and really liked the small classes and dedicated post-bac classes. I found that environment more conducive to success than a large lecture hall. As the poster above said, keep in mind that you will be getting recommendations or a committee letter from your post-bac professors. The more they know you, the better.

I also think you’ll be happier staying in an area where you’re already established. Don’t underestimate the financial savings either. This is a long and expensive road. No reason to make it even more expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user