Practice model- half clinic/half Mohs surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, this is more geared for people in residency considering Mohs...in the interest of procedures/surgery, is the practice model of mixing 2 days of Mohs with 3 days of clinic common? Or do people who do Mohs end up doing purely Mohs solely as their practice?

Also what is the outlook of Mohs reimbursement relative to general derm (I have heard subspecializing in derm is becoming less and less of an incentive and just wanted to verify this trend)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering, this is more geared for people in residency considering Mohs...in the interest of procedures/surgery, is the practice model of mixing 2 days of Mohs with 3 days of clinic common? Or do people who do Mohs end up doing purely Mohs solely as their practice?

Also what is the outlook of Mohs reimbursement relative to general derm (I have heard subspecializing in derm is becoming less and less of an incentive and just wanted to verify this trend)

Thanks.

I'm not a Mohs surgeon so hopefully one can come in and comment/provided more accurate views

From speaking with residents/fellows who have recently graduated, it seems like it is very difficult to step into an all-Mohs position and clinicians will usually balance time between Mohs days and general derm days. From there, it really depends what you want to do for a career. There are those who are happy to have this variety, others will push towards a primarily Mohs-based practice.

Reimbursement is going down for both (as it is for most fields in medicine and particularly anything highly lucrative in medicine). Standard caveat applies: you pursue sub-specializing because it's something you can envision doing for the rest of your career be it primarily surgery, path, pediatrics, etc... Chasing anything in medicine for the paycheck is rarely a good idea.

I think that most people who do a Mohs fellowship would like to do only Mohs, unfortunately it doesn't work out that way.

Finding a 100% Mohs position is pretty difficult in most large cities that people want to live in. So if you actually want to do both general derm and Mohs that's actually a huge plus because you may not be able to find pure Mohs positions.

Reimbursement for everything is going down. Mohs may have been hit a bit harder recently though.