Practicing EM Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OccupyTheED

Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, thinking about post-residency plans (albeit a little early as I still have 2+ years of training left) and I'm considering practicing abroad. Has anyone here ever practiced full time in another area of the world, particularly Europe and the Middle East (esp Dubai)? Any insight to compensation, hours worked, lifestyle etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Why doesn't anyone use the search function on SDN? Sorry if I come across as cranky, I'm just amazed at all of these posts popping up where there are already answers abound if people would just use the bloody search button.

Recent conversation here with a good answer from GeneralVeers: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/alaska-dubai-others-for-experience.1052404/#post-14885637

1.) Search function on here sucks. Not intuitive to use.

2.) A lot of the answers are dated, and could use a revisit for some fresh perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends where abroad. In Africa, they will absolutely love to have another ER doc working for them (as well as infectious disease) but often you don't get paid more than rooming and board. Doctors without borders will often send out volunteer doctors for a few months at a time and from a rotation in Africa I learned that ER docs tend to do very well in these places as almost any case is an emergency.

1.) Search function on here sucks. Not intuitive to use.

2.) A lot of the answers are dated, and could use a revisit for some fresh perspective.
Use a Google search with the keyword site:studentdoctor.net added. It is a thousand times better than the awful integrated search. If this fails or your answers are more than a couple years old, then you start a new thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey folks, thinking about post-residency plans (albeit a little early as I still have 2+ years of training left) and I'm considering practicing abroad. Has anyone here ever practiced full time in another area of the world, particularly Europe and the Middle East (esp Dubai)? Any insight to compensation, hours worked, lifestyle etc?

1) Something to keep in mind is that most of the jobs in the Middle East require 3-5 yrs post-residency experience- so you will still have to wait awhile after residency training. Back in the 90s you could be a US trained doctor and go over to the Gulf countries and get 2-3x your US salary, but I think those days are more or less gone, unless you have a very particular niche or they are desperate. I think you still get paid a premium but not a multiple of your US salary. If it's adventure you're after, that's one thing; but if you're after money, you're probably better off in Tx or some less than desirable spot in the US.
2) Also agree search function sucks

...you're probably better off in Tx or some less than desirable spot in the US.
Your own personal biases aside, many of the rural places actually don't pay all that well because they don't have any volume. TX pays well due to supply and demand. There have been more than 100 FSEDs open in the state in the last few years, so there is a shortage of 600+ full time equivalents from that alone. And since the FSEDs are typically in cities where they do make money, the EDs in those cities are being sucked dry. Those shops aren't money losers, so they pay. Rarely are you going to make $200+/hr going to some sleepy little town with a 13K volume ED.
It's the same reason cities with Occupy movements don't pay much. They have too many people there, so it depresses salaries because people will trade off pay for "city conveniences" and proximity to families.
2) Also agree search function sucks
True

I'm also interested in this. It seems after doing some research that the options are NZ/OZ/Singapore/Guam/UAE essentially, along w/ various MSF excursions. What about Europe? South America? Plenty of agencies place EM docs at the aforementioned locations, though I've never seen opportunities for Europe or S. America and I wonder why, as I'd be plenty interested to practice in either for a year or so. This is already taking account the possible language issues.

Any updates from those who have been practicing abroad or considering?
I practiced on Guam and would go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to worry about my children's education. The public schools there just don't cut it and I'm not into the whole private school thing.

I've been overseas. Most places are either lacking in infrastructure, schooling, or pay. You only get to pick one usually.
New Zealand and Oz pay ok right now, but the sheer number of students they have in Oz means they're going to reach UK saturation eventually. Don't now when, and if you get a job tomorrow, you might be ok.
Don't know of anyone making decent money in Africa at this time, apart from those working the Ebola crisis last year. It's mostly over, so those jobs are gone. Don't bother with Europe. China might be an option in the future, but don't know anyone that has tried it.
I prefer to live and make money here, and travel to other places. It's the most convenient option.