Practicing in US as a Canadian.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard Canadian dentists don't need a green card to practice in the USA. They can get a TN visa under NAFTA which can be renewed each year. they would have to take the American Boards part 1 and 2 as well as the State or Regional Board for the juristicion where they want to practice. But can they set up a private practice without USA citzenship? Hope someone help me clear this up. Thank you guys as always :)

Members don't see this ad.

no you dont need to be a citizen to open a practice
im not sure about the nafta thing but in most cases you have to have either a green card or some other type of work permit.

i am in the opposite situation
tell me what it takes for a US grad to practice in canada?
i know i have to take the NDEB, but what else?
also, i am a canadian citizen

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Texas DDS,

Why would you want to go to Canada to practice if you don't mind me asking? I am Canadian as well, and I am only asking bec I have to make a decision for myself soon too.
All the best, M

ok, that post states you can't set up shop in usa with this TN visa
but as a canadian citizen/green card holder you can - without being a US citizen. basically, once you get your US liscense (which are available to green card holders) you just have to pitch your idea to a bank

Hi,

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Canadians can get US licenses (NERB, etc) on TN visas (without being green Card holders (permanent residents) and work as dentists in the US. However, I think they cannot open or buy a practice because the TN visa requires you to work for someone else. To own a practice, you then need to be a permanent resident.

The TN visa was set up to allow mobility for some types of professionnal in the North American market. NAFTA's goal is to get each country to "eliminate any citizenship or permanent residency requirement for the licensing and certification of professional services provided in its territory". This deregulation is to allow free movement of the most mobile and highly skilled groups of workers within the three countries.

The only thing is that you need someone (a company, an organisation) to sponsor you for this TN visa.

texas_dds: All you have to do is to take your NDEB and I think you also have to notify your provincial College of Dental surgeons to register.

Montrealer, or maybe other Canadians in state can answer this.

from your observation, is it common for Canadians to work as associates in US right after graduating from US schools? or Do most of them go back to Canada and practice? Thanks!

Ok, say you marry an American. Cant you just put the practice's name under your spouse? You wont have to be a PR or a green card holder, and just work on a TN visa?

Bickle said:
Ok, say you marry an American. Cant you just put the practice's name under your spouse? You wont have to be a PR or a green card holder, and just work on a TN visa?

Definately not a good idea. You get a divorce and they get half the value of your practice. All isn't lost if you just go back to Canada. I'm pretty sure you can build a pretty large practice if you set up in either Toronto or Vancouver.

I thought once you married an American, you will become an American citizen, so you can just open a practice under your own name.

the whole marry an american and then you become an American doesn't work. You still have to go through all the trouble of getting citizenship, paperwork, taking american govt and history class. etc.

Bickle said:

u could put a practice under a spouces name if sheor he were a dentist.

btw..
at least in ohio, the prospective dental license applicant need only have graduated from an accredited school of dentistry....not be a terrorist (pass fbi check)...and pass a law exam and be immune to hep.

...canuck schools are accredited, right?

you can marry an american and get a green card. green card is sufficient to own your own practice. If not, you can work for someone on TN year, by year. Once employed, the employer can apply for H1 b work visa and then sponser you for work authorization (difficult and costly!) I worked 1 year in the US on TN - then moved back to Canada.

How long do you have to stay in the U.S to become a permanent resident?

i became a permanent resident through my dad's employer sponsoring our whole family within 3 years of living in the US
the length of time is not as much of an issue as sponsorship

Just a curious question, has the income drop from moving back to Canada been noticeable? Or was it padded by the corresponding reduction in living costs? I don't really have aspirations to move down south, but the allure of the greenback tugs at me every once in a while :)

The income drop wasn't that much actually - I was working on salary in the US and now I work on production for myself. I don't even have a hygienists working for me yet and I am still doing ok. The decrease in cost of living is good and living in Northern Ontario real estate is cheap - so I bought a house where I was renting in the US. My mortagage is less than my monthly rent was.