Pre-calc, trig, exercise biology "superficially" raising my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my science GPA is not bad - a 3.7, but something I realized was that I have A's in a few "easy" classes like precalculus and trig, both classes almost identical to high school material and then a biology GE about exercise that was easy af

without those classes my GPA would obviously be lower; I've heard mixed things about whether it is really just about the GPA being as high as possible or whether they care about individual grades/classes. which is it more?

Members don't see this ad.

This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I think the effort required to discern between a 3.7 applicant who took easier classes to pad GPA vs a 3.5 who took harder classes is too much and people would probably look at the higher number and choose that. That doesn't even include any screens that exist. So I wouldnt worry about it too much and just keep your GPA above 3.6 and make sure you have a good positive GPA trend. The GPA trend is probably what they look at to decipher ability to take harder classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the same GPA, challenging courseload will likely impress adcoms more than an easier courseload. However, a higher GPA is just about always better than a lower GPA regardless of coursework.

But I could be wrong. An actual adcom would probably be more qualified to answer this question.
This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I think the effort required to discern between a 3.7 applicant who took easier classes to pad GPA vs a 3.5 who took harder classes is too much and people would probably look at the higher number and choose that. That doesn't even include any screens that exist. So I wouldnt worry about it too much and just keep your GPA above 3.6 and make sure you have a good positive GPA trend. The GPA trend is probably what they look at to decipher ability to take harder classes.

I wonder how the adcoms would react to the following scenario (@LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif )

A student gets a 4.0 cumulative and science GPAs with an easy courseload at a university that promotes severe grade inflation. The student spends a lot of time studying for the MCAT and crushes it with a 526. Would adcoms look at this applicant highly?

Because if that's the case, the default recommendation is to ignore any aspect of taking rigorous courses and focus strictly on maintaining a high GPA and work hard to excel on the MCAT. There is absolutely no reason to stress yourself taking difficult courses and difficult majors when a strong GPA under a much easier courseload coupled with a strong MCAT shows your academic capability to succeed in medical school.

I wonder how the adcoms would react to the following scenario (@LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif )

A student gets a 4.0 cumulative and science GPAs with an easy courseload at a university that promotes severe grade inflation. The student spends a lot of time studying for the MCAT and crushes it with a 526. Would adcoms look at this applicant highly?

Because if that's the case, the default recommendation is to ignore any aspect of taking rigorous courses and focus strictly on maintaining a high GPA and work hard to excel on the MCAT. There is absolutely no reason to stress yourself taking difficult courses and difficult majors when a strong GPA coupled with a strong MCAT shows your academic capability to succeed in medical school.
Think about this. Do adcoms care if you have a degree in Nuclear Biology engineering( I just made that up) or basket weaving?
Then do they care if you have a 4.0 in basket weaving or a 3.0 in nuclear biology engineering?
IMHO the 4.0 in basket weaving from harvard( a known grade inflator) is better then the nuclear biology engineering degree from MIT. It is too much mental gymnastics to accurately adjust both GPA's not to mention automated screens that adcoms in all likelihood will revert to the raw number.

Think about this. Do adcoms care if you have a degree in Nuclear Biology engineering( I just made that up) or basket weaving?
Then do they care if you have a 4.0 in basket weaving or a 3.0 in nuclear biology engineering?
IMHO the 4.0 in basket weaving from harvard( a known grade inflator) is better then the nuclear biology engineering degree from MIT. It is too much mental gymnastics to accurately adjust both GPA's not to mention automated screens that adcoms in all likelihood will revert to the raw number.

Why would any of this matter though? As long as the 4.0 basket weaving applicant can crush the MCAT, it's all fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would any of this matter though? As long as the 4.0 basket weaving applicant can crush the MCAT, it's all fine.
Exactly. Even if you assume both applicants have the same MCAT score the 3.0 is going to be a non starter.

Exactly. Even if you assume both applicants have the same MCAT score the 3.0 is going to be a non starter.

Yep. So that's why I think course rigor and undergrad inflation/deflation don't matter (or matter very little). What's key is having a strong GPA and a strong MCAT. If these can be achieved from an easy, fluffy courseload at a massive grade-inflating university, that's great. In fact, the applicant taking easier courses and being able to dominate the MCAT is doing the smart move of not stressing out on academics, and using the extra time to develop and strengthen meaningful experiences.

This is why I don't recommend anyone majoring in physics, math or engineering for the sake of looking good to medical schools, because it is simply not worth it. Major in these subjects if you're truly interested/would help for plan B etc., but even then, there are GPA-friendly majors that can be profitable outside of medicine (like business).

Reactions: 2 users
The Admissions Dean and/or screeners might know that school X has grade inflation and so might not be so charitable, but a 526 is nothing to sneeze at.

Keep in mind that people can get into med school with the bare minimum of pre-req coursework.

My own feeling is that as long as one excels, one will be looked upon favorably.

Because if that's the case, the default recommendation is to ignore any aspect of taking rigorous courses and focus strictly on maintaining a high GPA and work hard to excel on the MCAT. There is absolutely no reason to stress yourself taking difficult courses and difficult majors when a strong GPA under a much easier courseload coupled with a strong MCAT shows your academic capability to succeed in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I, for one, will look at courses taken, but I don't ding people for taking Ecology, I just don't give them the same credit as I would for Anatomy or Physiology.

without those classes my GPA would obviously be lower; I've heard mixed things about whether it is really just about the GPA being as high as possible or whether they care about individual grades/classes. which is it more?