Pre-Candidate Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are your guys thoughts about a pre-candidate hospital residency in California?

• Should I apply?

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Stay away?

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Pharmphriend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need your thoughts on if i should apply to a California Residency program that is a hospital but has "candidate" status? Should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen a job application with a "was your residency ASHP accredited" so take that as you will.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never seen a job application with a "was your residency ASHP accredited" so take that as you will.

Doesn't it impact timing of board certification testing? I think they require a fewer number of years practice experience if you've completed an accredited residency, though I could be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't it impact timing of board certification testing? I think they require a fewer number of years practice experience if you've completed an accredited residency, though I could be mistaken.

Yeah, that is absolutely right. Not everyone chooses to pursue board certification though. I might try it eventually if I ever want to get back into a clinical role since I don't have a residency, but if doing an unaccredited PGY1 allows the OP to get a good job they might be happy with that. They could always take the BPS in 3 years if they wanted, and that isn't really a long time to wait.

Would it exclude you from applying to a PGY2? That may be a concern for OP.

Reactions: 1 user
Worth applying, if board certification isn't a "must have" within a year, judge the location like you would any other job location (opportunities for advancement, competency of staff, etc...)

Remember, Johns Hopkins was a non-accredited residency for a long time, if I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong, been a while).

The only issue is if you want to do a PGY-2. But if it's "pre-candidate" it's likely their first year and you'll get credit for it being accredited as soon as you finish, as long as it passes.

I don't personally know of any programs that applied for accreditation and did not get it. But my n is small.

Technically, yes, although they don't verify whether your residency was accredited, your years in practice, or whether you even did a residency. Everything's on the honor system.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Candidate or pre-candidate doesn't mean unaccredited. It will most likely become accredited once you finish. That shouldn't stop you from applying.

Worth applying, if board certification isn't a "must have" within a year, judge the location like you would any other job location (opportunities for advancement, competency of staff, etc...)

Remember, Johns Hopkins was a non-accredited residency for a long time, if I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong, been a while).

That's correct. Almost all the pharmacy residencies in the federal sector and around DC were not accredited for the longest time until ASHP signed an accord with VA and HHS that doesn't charge them the customary fees that everyone else gets charged for accreditation. I'd have to look it up, but I think VA pays a nominal amount as an institution now, but IHS and BoP are exempt (they really do not have enough of a budget to be able to afford it, something that you PHS wannabes need to remember about real resource constraints before signing up). It was a strong enough problem for us that it was just not even a point of negotiation. That's why there's still a major difference between informatics fellows and residents where there will not be an ASHP shutout on them, because the majority of the ASHP informatics SIG came from the NIH fellowship. I forgot what the impetus for JHU and Columbia holdout was (I think in JHU's case, it was balking over how the residents prescribed time was and that the Director hated someone in the ASHP office).

To the Op, what's it to you to apply for an unaccredited residency? Considering that many really are accredited, is working in one (as in being the accreditation crash dummy) something that you are interested in? There are plenty of straightforward accredited ones to choose from in this day and age, so what do you want for the inconvenience and risk? If you really seem to mesh with them, that's worth something very valuable (personality conflicts I think are the worst aspect of residencies).