Pre-DO low GPA, avg postbac, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickyP86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After putting all my grades in on AACOMAS:

BS in psych: cGPA 2.96, sGPA 2.58
My transcript looks like the alphabet. Very inconsistent, it's scattered with As, Bs, Cs, one D, and 3 Ws. I attribute my dismal performance the first couple of years to just being unfocused and immature. I bounced around between nursing, PA, and med school. When I finally decided to get serious about med school in my junior year, I got hit with a bunch of personal obstacles (abusive relationship with boyfriend of 3 years, death of my best friend in car accident) and was diagnosed with anxiety and depression...these are things I don't feel like I can bring up in a personal statement because I don't know that I can discuss these in person yet.

2 semesters of DIY post bac at another pubic university: sGPA 3.5, cGPA 3.47
Retook bio 1 & 2 (Cs at first round, B+ at second time), chem 1 (from a C to A), chem 2 (From W to D to B). Took physics 1 and 2 from the first time, received B and A respectively.

Current: Attempted to take organic chemistry 1 back at my alma mater this summer A, but received part time job offer at my old job...accepted the offer but was not aware I was required to do 40 hour orientation for 1 week. Ended up taking the W instead of potentially receiving a C since I fell behind.

AACOMAS Current GPA: sGPA 3.04, cGPA 3.08

MCAT: No MCAT yet. I had registered months ago to take in September but obviously my plans fell apart so I may even delay/cancel it.

Employment: I've worked part time at a microscopy lab for 2 years but did lab tech sort of things ie sectioning tissues and prepping slides, that sort of thing. Also worked at pediatric intensive care unit as a technician on average 24hrs/wk, so I got patient care experience there (over 2,000 hours). That is where I was rehired recently.

Volunteer: My volunteer experiences are kind of scattered. Because of work, I just sporadically volunteered at different organizations whenever I had a chance to. The only ones that are probably worth mentioning is being an art therapy volunteer for 3 years (3hrs/wk) and being in a national pre-health organization since I was a freshman in high school. I was also involved in health service corps as often as work allowed, where we did a lot of work with underserved populations and did a medical mission trip abroad.

Shadowing: Physician: 10 hours, plastic surgeon. 20 hours, cardiothoracic surgeon. 30 hours, pediatrician. Dated a physician for a couple years, does that count...? kidding. And obviously I get to see a lot of what the docs do at work, although I know that's unofficial.

About me: To be completely honest, and I'm not sure if this is due to burnout or my heart is truly not in it anymore, my ultimate goal is to just be a really great primary care provider. I'm by no means a competitive type A person. I grew up in a rural community and that's where I'd like to help people the most. I've explored different avenues of getting there (doctor, NP, PA) and I think I could be happy being any of the above. I chose to go for med school because I think that's the best training you can get to be able to provide the best care.

I plan to take organic chem 1&2 in the upcoming fall and spring and other sciences and may apply next cycle, depending on the MCAT score. Any advice on how to strengthen my application? I feel as if I'm weak in all parts of my application and welcome any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

More clinical/volunteering would be nice, but you're putting the cart before the horse. Congrats on improving your grades. Let's see how you do on organic.

Just to be completely honest with you, you are going to need a strong MCAT score.