Pre matriculation programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baby4you

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the invitation yesterday to participate at a pre-matriculation program and I don’t know if it is a good idea to go. It will take place for a month and I’m not sure I can leave work for that long.

Is it really beneficial to go? Any ideas?

Thanks. :D

Members don't see this ad.

all my friends in med school say dont do them. They say that they're not that much of a help and it extends the year by 4-6 weeks, and the year is long enough already. Just the advice I have gotten.

Jim

baby4you said:
I got the invitation yesterday to participate at a pre-matriculation program and I don’t know if it is a good idea to go. It will take place for a month and I’m not sure I can leave work for that long.

I've been told that these are for students who have been out of school for quite some time. Not for recent (ie within a year) graduates.

baby4you said:

Depends on the program. UW has one that provides a nice stipend and you get one of the fall classes out of the way. Plus, it provides some other sessions and a chance to get to know future classmates. The other I was considering (at UCSD) just does a review of topics to be covered the upcoming year. You don't get credit for any of the class time and there is a possibility of not getting funding. While I'm excited about the first, I wouldn't take part in the second. It's all a personal choice of what you feel you need from the program and what it can offer you.