Pre-Med: Cal or Michigan?

D

deleted822674

Quick background: I'm planning on pursuing a degree in cognitive science along with pre-med since I want the option to go to grad school for CS in case pre-med doesn't work out for me. I live in California but I'm lucky enough to have parents who earn enough to cover OOS tuition and who've told me they can help me a little bit with grad school or med school tuition if I end up in one of the two. I really enjoy the weather here but Cal seems unideal given it's extremely competitive nature as an institution. Given all of this, should I attend Cal or Michigan for pre-med? Thx so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not underestimate Michigan winters if you're from Southern California. It was snowing here last week. If climate is a big deal for you I would say stay in Cal. But ultimately you should go to wherever you think you'll do best.

While Michigan has a strong pre-med program, all of the premeds I know at Cal want to transfer out. Cal does not have a med school or hospital (UCSF is the closest), and the competition is cutthroat. Grade deflation is rampant as well, so chances of a 4.0 are slim. It is very difficult to get the classes you need. Your chances of success will be much greater at Michigan.

That being said, going to med school from Cal is definitely not impossible. It is, after all, seen as a "public ivy." Just make sure you know what you're getting into. Visit Mich and compare the campuses/environments as well.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Cal a feeder school into UCSF?

Second what Gilakend said. If you've never lived outside the west coast of California, be prepared to be cold for 6-8 months out of the year for the first time in your life. Personally, I love the cold and snow so I'm a happy transplant, but it's not for everyone. Don't underestimate the freshman blues which will be exacerbated by the cold and the dark.

Also, I'm pretty sure Michigan has just as much of a cutthroat pre-med culture as Cal. Pre-meds as a whole are very cutthroat anyway so you're just not going to escape that no matter where you go. You could go to Podunk University in the middle of some godforsaken trash island and the pre-meds there will still rip your nose off if it meant they could get into medical school.

Go where you think you'll be the most successful and happiest. If you end up going to Cal, ask your parents if they'd be willing to help pay for med school with some of the money they would have used for OOS tuition anyway.

Reactions: 1 user