Pre-Naplex HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellim86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just took the pre-naplex and did horrible! I made a 60. I have been studying for probably 10 days straight for atleast 6-8 hours a day. I have read through the entire RX-Prep book and skimmed back through it once more. I am scheduled to take the Naplex next Thursday June 6. Any suggestions on what to do differently and if I should reschedule my Naplex for next week? I don't know what to do! I felt confident going into the exam, I really did...but I didn't know any of the questions! EEEKK! Someone please help with advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Was the mock exam really detailed or RXprep just didn't cover the topics comprehensively? I've known people who scored a lot lower on the pre-NAPLEX than they actually did on the exam.

I took the pre-naplex 3 days before the Naplex. I got a 75 on the pre-naplex and a 119 on the naplex. I studied for 9 days with the rxprep book and got through 90% of the book once and also went through SDN's 120 calculations. I think the pre-naplex is overrated and only gave me anxiety. I would make sure you know your calculations well, brand and generics, and dosage forms. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the pre-naplex 3 days before the Naplex. I got a 75 on the pre-naplex and a 119 on the naplex. I studied for 9 days with the rxprep book and got through 90% of the book once and also went through SDN's 120 calculations. I think the pre-naplex is overrated and only gave me anxiety. I would make sure you know your calculations well, brand and generics, and dosage forms. good luck!

Wow you're fast! It's been 10 days and I'm at the halfway point.

Wow you're fast! It's been 10 days and I'm at the halfway point.

Yeah, I hauled through Rxprep. I would read a chapter and highlight some stuff, and then reviewed the highlighted parts once right after. I would study 12+ hrs per day some days...(would not recommend it..it sucked)...but I didn't have a choice because I scheduled it so quick for my job. Good luck with your exam!

Yeah, I hauled through Rxprep. I would read a chapter and highlight some stuff, and then reviewed the highlighted parts once right after. I would study 12+ hrs per day some days...(would not recommend it..it sucked)...but I didn't have a choice because I scheduled it so quick for my job. Good luck with your exam!

lol that's a lot of endurance to study for 12+ hours straight, but congratulations all the work paid off! I'm taking mine <2 weeks; biggest goal right now is not to have test anxiety.

kambala-- wow thats a big difference in your pre naplex and naplex. i only made the 60... i have been studying quiz banks non-stop and re-reading through the rx prep book. ive been doing about 9-11 hour days total after accounting for my breaks. i usually do 8am-8pm but maybe take a few breaks here and there. i take it next thursday june 6... do you think i should post-pone based on my pre-naplex score? some people say yes (my professors) and some say not to reschedule (dr shapiro from rx prep said not to lol)... any advice would help! thanks.

kambala-- wow thats a big difference in your pre naplex and naplex. i only made the 60... i have been studying quiz banks non-stop and re-reading through the rx prep book. ive been doing about 9-11 hour days total after accounting for my breaks. i usually do 8am-8pm but maybe take a few breaks here and there. i take it next thursday june 6... do you think i should post-pone based on my pre-naplex score? some people say yes (my professors) and some say not to reschedule (dr shapiro from rx prep said not to lol)... any advice would help! thanks.

If it were me, I would not postpone it...I would just go and take it. But that is because even if I did postpone it and study more I don't think that I would be better prepared. By the sounds of how much you've studied, I don't think I could learn anything else. But that's me and I know my abilities. Only you know your abilities and your current knowledge level. I don't think the pre-naplex is a good indicator of how you will do on the naplex. It just made me super nervous. Only you know how really prepared you are and how much more studying will actually help. Just remember 90% pass the naplex their first try. So unless English is not your first language or you barely scraped by pharmacy school, I would not stress too much. Also, if you have your calculations down really well, and know brand-generic names and dosage forms, I think the odds of passing are in your favor. Fyi, I was 8th out of a class of about 70 grades-wise and have 3 years of retail experience while in pharmacy school. Good luck in your decision and on the naplex!

yes you can take the pre-naplex twice. ive heard from some people its different completely, and ive heard from some people that its very similar questions... i am going to take another one just to see if my score improves, i mean whats another $50 after all the money i've spent on everything else! lol. Does anyone else know that has taken the pre-naplex twice if its the same or different? Thanks!:)

I took the pre naplex just now and thought I knew 80% of the stuff on there and narrowed it down to 2 on the rest and still got a 75. Ive got 300 of 900 pages to go in the rx prep book but a 75 is a bit discouraging. I guess I'll round out the rest of the book and hit it again.

When do u take ur naplex? Mines thursday. I feel the same way i made a 60 on the stupid prenaplex and i felt so confident going into it. This was a week ago. Since then i have reread rxprep book and done quiz bank. Gona take another pre naplex tuesday to see if it improves before my test thurs. Ive heard they are similar questions tho if u take it a second time. Will let u know.

i retook it, the questions are different but in the same format obviously

i got an 89 which was way lower than i thought - i felt like i was doing really well as i was taking it

Members don't see this ad :)
also there were only like 2 "K" questions on either exam, i was under the impression that those were pretty common on the actual exam

I just took the pre-naplex for the second time. I made an 83. I felt this one was actually alot easier than the one I took last week that I made a 60 on. Or maybe I was better prepared... I have studied real hard the past week. Just wanted everyone to know that the questions are different on the two different pre-naplexes. My naplex is Thursday, wish me luck... :)

hey i took my naplex today, actually feel pretty decent about it...or atleast better than i thought i would feel about it after hearing everyone say they always leave depressed after taking it. there was definitely several i had to guess on, but my advice to everyone is definitely take the pre-naplex to see where you stand because i took my first prenaplex last tues and made a 60, and then is studied my butt off for the next week and this past tues i took it a second time and made a 83, so alot of improvement, or atleast for me anyways. i hope what im feeling is enough to pass, i feel alot better about it than what i thought i would feel! im keeping my fingers crossed, i will let everyone know when i find out my score. best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
thank u very much. pls keep us posted. I wish you all the best. what was the exam like in terms of calculations? disease state? were the questions tricky?

I have mixed feeling about the Pre-Naplex. I took one halfway through my preparation and scored in the 90s...took again after I finished Rxprep and made 80s. Now I just felt I've got more preparation to do.:(

Last edited:
Passed the NAPLEX!!!! Made an 84. I actually thought I would have done better but oh well, still passed! I am proof that do not give up if you score bad on a pre-naplex your first time. My first prenaplex was 60 (after studying rxprep book for about week 5-6 hours a day), and then I kicked it in high gear and for a week I studied about 10 hours a day and did the quiz banks ontop of that and then took the prenaplex two days before my real naplex and made an 83. Then took naplex two days later and made 84, so very similiar to my last pre-naplex. Good luck to everyone! I am proof that it can be done, I was definitely just an average student in school, sometimes barely getting by, but I still passed the NAPLEX first go around, you all can do it! Have faith! Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats Kellim86!!!!!!!!! thanks for your inspiring msg for all the naplex exam takers..... iam waiting for my status to change to eligibility granted...it was almost 10 bussiness days since i registered for exam....i am also going through Rxprep 2012 edition...iam struggling to remember infectious disease chapter contents ...as per ur opinion how much percentage of questions from infectious disease chapter are there on exam? congrats once again...thanks & rgds flo16

nice nice stuff. thanks for sharing your experience. Im taking mine on July 1st. I've been doing the videos and quiz bank on rxprep and im getting between 73%-95% on them. I usually do the quizzes a day or 2 after studying the chapter. I took prenaplex last month just before i studied to test my baseline and i got a 62%. I will take the second one a week before the naplex and post results. I want to follow the tradition of inspiring one another. Good luck to everyone out there taking the NAPLEX and MPJE

Just took the prenaplex... 75. Depressing since I thought I was over prepared and would score >100 for sure.

Are you guys getting a range as a score? Reading old threads and people are saying that you get a score and a range (for example 75, 60-85). I only got a single score with no range. Have three more days of hardcore studying... trying not to freak out.

Just took the prenaplex... 75. Depressing since I thought I was over prepared and would score >100 for sure.

Are you guys getting a range as a score? Reading old threads and people are saying that you get a score and a range (for example 75, 60-85). I only got a single score with no range. Have three more days of hardcore studying... trying not to freak out.

I just got a number, not a range. Exam tomorrow, hoping for the best.

Officially convinced the prenaplex is BS. Got a 75 on a test that I felt pretty confident about. Freaked out and payed for another. Got an 83 on MUCH harder test that was full of BS questions (which line to use for TPN infusion, how to store TPNS, what kind of protein the shell of a ER capsule is made of). At least 10 questions out of left field about random stuff that 90% of pharmacy students wouldnt be able to answer. Becoming convinced that prenaplex included practice questions similarly to the NAPLEX, except on the prenaplex they are graded into your score. For all those who take prenaplex in the future be warned: This test does NOT cover the majority of what you expect to come up on the NAPLEX.

Two more days and I will be done with this crap exam. From what others seem to be saying NAPLEX is a bit more reasonable than the Pre Naplex.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a 74 on the pre naplex- did rx prep and quiz bank got 101 on the actual test. =)

Are you saying you got a 74 and then used rx prep and quiz bank to study? Or that you used those resources and still got a 74, and then took the real thing soon afterwards?

Passed the NAPLEX!!!! Made an 84. I actually thought I would have done better but oh ell, still passed! I am proof that do not give up if you score bad on a pre-naplex your first time. My first prenaplex was 60 (after studying rxprep book for about week 5-6 hours a day), and then I kicked it in high gear and for a week I studied about 10 hours a day and did the quiz banks ontop of that and then took the prenaplex two days before my real naplex and made an 83. Then took naplex two days later and made 84, so very similiar to my last pre-naplex. Good luck to everyone! I am proof that it can be done, I was definitely just an average student in school, sometimes barely getting by, but I still passed the NAPLEX first go around, you all can do it! Have faith! Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats on passing!! I bet you're glad you didn't postpone the exam. Preparing for the naplex was more stressful than actually taking the exam! Good luck on mpje and to your future career as a pharmacist!

Just wanted to add my own frustration. Scored 75 on pre-naplex and after reading some posts and speaking to a few friends, our scores are all in the same range, Which tells me, either the pre-naplex makes us study hard with a vengeance and pass this stupid test or just freak out and have a nervous breakdown.

Can someone comment on the difficulty level with the actual NAPLEX vs. this pre-naplex crap? A few classmates have said the Naplex was easier then pre-naplex?

and congrats to all of you- "us" for getting this far!!!! We will pass :thumbup:

Passed the NAPLEX!!!! Made an 84. I actually thought I would have done better but oh well, still passed! I am proof that do not give up if you score bad on a pre-naplex your first time. My first prenaplex was 60 (after studying rxprep book for about week 5-6 hours a day), and then I kicked it in high gear and for a week I studied about 10 hours a day and did the quiz banks ontop of that and then took the prenaplex two days before my real naplex and made an 83. Then took naplex two days later and made 84, so very similiar to my last pre-naplex. Good luck to everyone! I am proof that it can be done, I was definitely just an average student in school, sometimes barely getting by, but I still passed the NAPLEX first go around, you all can do it! Have faith! Best of luck to everyone!

Kellim86, Congratulations!!! You have given me hope! I just took the Pre-Naplex and scored a 65. I was in tears!! I have been studying for the exam for about 2 months. I graduated in 2009 and postponed taking the exam due to an illness right after graduation and have finally been able to get back on track. I am planning to take the exam mid July.

Kellim86, Congratulations!!! You have given me hope! I just took the Pre-Naplex and scored a 65. I was in tears!! I have been studying for the exam for about 2 months. I graduated in 2009 and postponed taking the exam due to an illness right after graduation and have finally been able to get back on track. I am planning to take the exam mid July.

Hey- don't be discouraged...I feel the same, so you're not alone!!! Chin-up... We will make it!!!

I took the preNaplex and got a 103. I thought the NAPLEX was fairly similar but maybe a little harder (but this may have just been the disease states I got....I felt like I was more familiar with the ones I had on the pre)

I have failed my Naplex 3 times, im scheduled for it next week, im studying every single day, and every single day I feel like I don't remember anything, im a total wreck. Guys who took the exam recently would you please share few questions that u remember were on the exam.

I have failed my Naplex 3 times, im scheduled for it next week, im studying every single day, and every single day I feel like I don't remember anything, im a total wreck. Guys who took the exam recently would you please share few questions that u remember were on the exam.

Sorry, we agreed to non-disclosure.

No sorry....that's definitely not allowed and you really shouldn't even be asking...

Thanks!!! I used RXPrep, Quiz Bank, and made my own charts for areas like HIV, Oncology, Infectious Diseases that I was less comfortable with.

I made one page review sheets for high alert drugs (warfarin, digoxin, lithium, amiodarone) with key points. I also used the ebay Pharm Charts.

I started studying in March and studied maybe 10-15 hours a week for 3 months.

Yes those are the pharm charts.

I had the 120 calculations but I never did them. I only used RXPrep to prepare for math. I felt like it was more than enough, as long as you are comfortable with all of the math in RXPrep.