Pre-Req Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mizener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question for those of you who already have been accepted into pharmacy school. Most of the school pre-reqs state that general physics is required. I was wondering if a different physics class would cover that requirement even though general physics is offered as well. I need several specific physic classes in order to get my BA in Chemistry. I think the one I was planning on taking next semester is Physics (mechanics, heat, and waves). Basically, I want to know if a more concentrated physics class will cover the general physics requirement. Also, human physiology and anatomy is another requirement, is it ok to take the classes seperately? human physiology and then an anatomy class?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a quick question for those of you who already have been accepted into pharmacy school. Most of the school pre-reqs state that general physics is required. I was wondering if a different physics class would cover that requirement even though general physics is offered as well. I need several specific physic classes in order to get my BA in Chemistry. I think the one I was planning on taking next semester is Physics (mechanics, heat, and waves). Basically, I want to know if a more concentrated physics class will cover the general physics requirement. Also, human physiology and anatomy is another requirement, is it ok to take the classes seperately? human physiology and then an anatomy class?

1. Physics: Check the articulation agreement for your school(s), because it's "yes" for some, and "no" for others - Some schools (UCSF, others) require a specific type of Physics.

2. Some schools say yes to combined A&P and yes to the separate versions... and some don't. Again, you'll need to check with your school(s)!

What do you mean general physics? Mechanics, heat, and waves is basically (general) Physics I. Physics II rounds it out with electricity, relativity, and optics.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a chem major you probably need two semesters of calc based physics. I seriously doubt any school with a physics requirement would not accept that physics as it is basically the most comprehensive general sequence you can take for Newtonian physics. At worst you would probably have to submit a request to substitute those classes for the "lesser" physics requirement along with the official course description from your school.

What do you mean general physics? Mechanics, heat, and waves is basically (general) Physics I. Physics II rounds it out with electricity, relativity, and optics.

Well let's take my undergrad and UoP for example. My undergrad had, among other Physics choices:

Conceptual Physics, Mechanics of Solids and Fluids, General Physics I and II, Electricty and Magnetism, and Heat, Waves and Light in Modern PHysics.

According to their articulation, the only acceptable classes would be Conceptual or Mechanics of Solids and Fluids, not Gen. Physics I or II.

So it's just better not to assume and to call/email the school(s).

Yeah, I agree that it will probably be a safe class to take, I was just confused because the CC by my home offers both "general physics" as well as "physics: mechanics, waves, and heat" (something like that).

Yeah, I agree that it will probably be a safe class to take, I was just confused because the CC by my home offers both "general physics" as well as "physics: mechanics, waves, and heat" (something like that).

If you're not certain email schools that you're interested in with the (official) course descriptions and ask.

The (usually one year) sequence of "general" (Newtonian) physics that almost if not all chemistry, physics, and engineering majors are required to take should satisfy pretty much any one year or less physics pre-req.