Pre-req Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBH1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I guess I am getting a little lost in the weeds in terms of the requirements to apply to a PharmD program. I recently (December 2016) graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry, which covers all the pre-reqs for pharmacy except microbiology. I had not planned on going this route, but after working in the pharmaceutical research field, have found a PharmD is something I want to pursue. My question is: do I need to have microbiology before I can apply to programs? I know with other programs I had considered in the past (biomedical engineering), the university allows you to fill one or two missing pre-reqs your first semester of the program. Beyond that, if I have to take them before I can apply, does anyone have any advice being that I no longer am attending a university. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has different pre-reqs so check with all the schools you want to apply to before you decide to take a class you may not need. If it is required, then you will have to take it prior to matriculation, but usually not before you apply. So, if you take it in the fall or spring while you are applying it should be fine. Also, check if the school requires the lab or not because you may be able to take it online or at a community college!

Reactions: 1 user
Not all schools require Microbiology. However, if a school requires it, you HAVE to have it DONE before matriculating. Some schools require it be done by the end of the Spring term before you start in the Fall. Oftentimes you can't take it in the summer. Many community colleges offer it. If you're paying out of pocket, I would go that route. Do it now while you're studying for PCAT. You can do your PharmCAS and submit application and everything. During your interviews, the schools will go over whatever classes you'll need before starting your P1 year.

Reactions: 1 user